Parador Fuente de

I can't help you with the Parador, but the Hotel Rebeco there is pretty good. I stayed there a couple of years ago. Good food, nice clean rooms and spectacular views.

Not stayed in the Fuente De but it doesn’t look anything special.
As Mark said, the Hotel Del Oso is down the road and fabulous.

580d92f2a35eeaab7b43b0464b84a360.jpg

Not posh but great location, lovely staff and amazing food.

With regards to Cangas, which one ?

The Paradore de Corias just up the road from Cangas del Narcea is stunning.

88e7c199e5d5879445351f2f2d329d36.jpg

5bd73f3de280206e55d7039a5aa673ae.jpg

fdffab6950fbd28587911bfb7a9dc39d.jpg

5565fe46e10291725a7b7abc70fcf815.jpg

The Paradore de Cangas de Onis is also fabulous, but the former beats it in majesty of the rooms and the building.

0311b54f338b8f1335fd38867d80a99c.jpg

5e41b706db922d9342d7c0a8c9aa2e22.jpg

Also Brittany ferries do a package crossing and hotel del Oso in their holiday options good value,

Fuente De & Hotel Del Oso area is ok as a 1 nighter - but it’s a dead end
If you are staying for 2-3 nights as a base to explore, the 12-14 miles to Potes at the start and end of each day, can be a pain
Cangas is a better base or Potes
I have stayed at Del Oso a couple of times and it’s a good hotel, but the dead end road is now a non starter for me
At least Cangas or Potes is in a X roads to go out from and return to

The Parador at Fuente De isn’t a particularly special building. What you get inside re the food etc is Parador and the location is superb from a scenery point of view.
The cable car up the mountain is worth a trip, especially without all your bike gear on.

Cangas is better if you’re going to use the hotel as a base.

If you are staying for 2-3 nights as a base to explore, the 12-14 miles to Potes at the start and end of each day, can be a pain
I have stayed at Del Oso a couple of times and it’s a good hotel, but the dead end road is now a non starter for me

It’s not a dead end if you turn right at Espinama, which gives you miles of tracks !

9d4b6f6ecf0f272c55a4b56a20be3f21.jpg

We stayed at the Del Oso for 3 nights and I could have stayed a week.

It’s not a dead end if you turn right at Espinama, which gives you miles of tracks !

9d4b6f6ecf0f272c55a4b56a20be3f21.jpg

As far as tarmac is concerned …it’s a dead end, as well you know
Rick with more than likely be on a SF and on Diablo Corse tyres, so the the Espinama trail will be off limits

You know my comments were valid and correct, yet you still turn it around

Anyone on a road bike or with a pillion ain’t gonna be doing the Espinama trail or even the Bear trail to the San Gloria pass summit

The Espinama trail only goes to Sotres, any of the offshoots are off limits nowadays

Not stayed in the Fuente De but it doesn’t look anything special.
As Mark said, the Hotel Del Oso is down the road and fabulous.

580d92f2a35eeaab7b43b0464b84a360.jpg

Not posh but great location, lovely staff and amazing food.

With regards to Cangas, which one ?

The Paradore de Corias just up the road from Cangas del Narcea is stunning.

88e7c199e5d5879445351f2f2d329d36.jpg

5bd73f3de280206e55d7039a5aa673ae.jpg

fdffab6950fbd28587911bfb7a9dc39d.jpg

5565fe46e10291725a7b7abc70fcf815.jpg

The Paradore de Cangas de Onis is also fabulous, but the former beats it in majesty of the rooms and the building.

0311b54f338b8f1335fd38867d80a99c.jpg

5e41b706db922d9342d7c0a8c9aa2e22.jpg

Stayed in the Cangas Narcea parador before and you are right it is amazing

The one i was considering was cangas de Onis

Actually its 8 miles to Potes not 14, 10 mins by bike, Hotel del Oso is better than Potes Hotels but there are some cheap ones in Potes which will appeal to JB :D the dead end road is not a problem at all for the many bikers that use Hotel Del Oso as a Base

Hotel Del Oso Bike park by Mark Handley, on Flickr

:thumb

As far as tarmac is concerned …it’s a dead end, as well you know
Rick with more than likely be on a SF and on Diablo Corse tyres, so the the Espinama trail will be off limits

You know my comments were valid and correct, yet you still turn it around

Anyone on a road bike or with a pillion ain’t gonna be doing the Espinama trail or even the Bear trail to the San Gloria pass summit

The Espinama trail only goes to Sotres, any of the offshoots are off limits nowadays

Your comments were not correct.
As Mark pointed out, it’s only 8 miles to Potes, not 12-14 !!

And as for nobody doing the Espinama trail on a road bike….wrong again….

a652d7cd4f556c5d35808cbe774bbf50.jpg

Rick,
I’d definitely recommend the Del Oso for at least a night,may be two.
Have a day off the bike and catch the cable car up then walk down.
Stunning views

3e58756e37e9fbe421e425b93fb26212.jpg

You’re also in a perfect location to do a day’s ride out, taking in the Potes to Panes road and ideally the AS-114 from Panes to Cangas de Onis.

This would be one of the best day’s riding you could have anywhere !!

6f70365f4821e1ee1064b28a32c1334d.jpg

The Paradore at Cangas de Onis is lovely.Amazing food and Cangas is a great place to stay.
We were there only 2 weeks ago as always stop by for a coffee next to the Roman bridge

ef6a4172aeb8a7795a9b5dd0d21c06cd.jpg

ede72439f5ecb64127c3bedb45736d68.jpg

You can’t go wrong in that area. Every road is a corker.

This is the AS-114 but heading east from Cangas to Panes

d206df2504bc98557909439513cde46e.jpg

I've stopped in the Parador Funte De - lovely place. Had a room facing the mountains, and awoke each day to the sounds of cow bells as the herds make their way up the passes. Also easy to get the cable car to the top of the mountains across the road from the hotel. Food was ok - we mostly ate down in the town - and a lovely road to and from the hotel :okay

Just for clarity

I am not new to the Picos and surrounding area we usually stay in Ribedesella but fancied a change as we usually do cheap and cheerful as a base ( its just a bed for the night) so on that basis as there are only 2 of us going and having not spent much cash on trips this last year or so i thought fuck it why not push the boat out a bit

Any way just to prevent any argument i have actually gone and booked the Fuente de

It certainly doe s not look as special as the cangas de Onis or Narcea but then it is considerably cheaper on a DB&B basis, I am a Yorkshireman remember ( stuck up there Dinner was a good option ) it has a bar and i suspect the Beer will be the same regardless of location !

I will be on the streety fighter so off road is not happening. I can cobble together enough good days out from there to keep us happy and riding up there at the end of each day wont be a hardship

Booking .com free cancellation and no money up front so i can always change my mind but things are not getting cheaper as we get nearer. My mate booked the ferry a week after i did and the price of that has already gone up £100 and he got what looks like the last cabin ....

The N261 from Potes to Riano(?) is a fantastic road. Can be cold and snowy at the top though. Even in July.

Just for clarity

I am not new to the Picos and surrounding area we usually stay in Ribedesella but fancied a change as we usually do cheap and cheerful as a base ( its just a bed for the night) so on that basis as there are only 2 of us going and having not spent much cash on trips this last year or so i thought fuck it why not push the boat out a bit

Any way just to prevent any argument i have actually gone and booked the Fuente de

It certainly doe s not look as special as the cangas de Onis or Narcea but then it is considerably cheaper on a DB&B basis, I am a Yorkshireman remember ( stuck up there Dinner was a good option ) it has a bar and i suspect the Beer will be the same regardless of location !

I will be on the streety fighter so off road is not happening. I can cobble together enough good days out from there to keep us happy and riding up there at the end of each day wont be a hardship

Booking .com free cancellation and no money up front so i can always change my mind but things are not getting cheaper as we get nearer. My mate booked the ferry a week after i did and the price of that has already gone up £100 and he got what looks like the last cabin ....

Excellent.
Seriously, if you can, do that loop I highlighted above.
The AS-114 is stunning as is the well known Potes-Panes road.
The NE-625 south from Cangas DO is also brilliant and of course leads over then mountain to Riano, but I prefer turning left on the LE-2711 to ride over Posada de Valdeon.

Actually its 8 miles to Potes not 14, 10 mins by bike, Hotel del Oso is better than Potes Hotels but there are some cheap ones in Potes which will appeal to JB :D

Ok, it feels like 14 miles, even though it's 8-10 miles:blast

I have stayed at the Hotel Del Oso, many times..........the most recent about 5 years ago, and the first time was in the mid 1990's (long before the UKGSER massif, discovered it)

Actually I have never stayed in Potes, but I have stayed at a mountain retreat at Cabezon and also at Lebana

2 years ago we stayed in Panes and that was a great place, with a smashing hotel in the square (One place I had always overlooked to stay)

Cangas de Onis and Riano are also fine to stop in (although Cangas is better)

My favourite Parador was a monastery in Leon

Back
Top Bottom