My new Baby GS

Ok, that would be little too much of one and not quite enough of the other for my type of travel. (530 circ 50 bhp, 155kg loaded) Still a great looking bike though, thanks, enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A225F using Tapatalk

Had a nice run out yesterday afternoon/early evening on the G310GS to give it a shakedown . Only issue was the rear brake pedal was a bit awkward to operate so a modification this morning to fit an extender and all is now sorted

great to see a couple being used ,we often have a few out in different states of mods . good green lane bike and as a small travel bike.

Nice to see both bikes out looking well sir! I recognise the extender but what brake pedal did you find for the 310? That's not something I changed when I had the white one.

Nice to see both bikes out looking well sir! I recognise the extender but what brake pedal did you find for the 310? That's not something I changed when I had the white one.

Both the gear lever and the rear brake lever are aftermarket billet aluminium parts with sprung loaded ends that will pop back/inwards if hit . The brake pedal extender is a near identical one to the one you had fitted on the OEM brake pedal

Both the gear lever and the rear brake lever are aftermarket billet aluminium parts with sprung loaded ends that will pop back/inwards if hit . The brake pedal extender is a near identical one to the one you had fitted on the OEM brake pedal

Ideal - something I had been looking for but not found before my trip.

A nice run out over the border today via Hawick , Selkirk , St Mary's Loch , Moffat , Lockerbie , Langholm , Brampton and back to Hexham

Two day 546 mile round trip from Hexham to Aberdeen via the Cairngorms with a run over to Aviemore and the GS took everything in it's stride

You have built a great looking bike. At the age of 61 I’ve decided I might like to have a try at a bit of gentle green lane riding been considering a CB500x with a few RR bits, your build looks really nice and has me thinking the 310 GS could be a better choice. I have a couple of questions for you John, what do you think is a comfortable A road cruising speed and what seat height have you ended up with.

60 MPH A road cruising is very relaxed with enough power left for overtaking . 70 MPH on the motorway is also OK but you don have a lot left to get past things quickly ;-)

Seat height with the Rally Raid / Tractive Level 2 Fork and rear shock kit is 855mm , so 20mm higher than stock . You can get a standard height set up as well as a low rear shock which allows from -10mm to -35mm on stock height

60 MPH A road cruising is very relaxed with enough power left for overtaking . 70 MPH on the motorway is also OK but you don have a lot left to get past things quickly ;-)

Seat height with the Rally Raid / Tractive Level 2 Fork and rear shock kit is 855mm , so 20mm higher than stock . You can get a standard height set up as well as a low rear shock which allows from -10mm to -35mm on stock height

Thank you for the info John.
I’ve had a very generous offer from another regular poster on here who lives locally and has a 310gs RR he’s invited me to pop over and have a look at his bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have built a great looking bike. At the age of 61 I’ve decided I might like to have a try at a bit of gentle green lane riding been considering a CB500x with a few RR bits, your build looks really nice and has me thinking the 310 GS could be a better choice. I have a couple of questions for you John, what do you think is a comfortable A road cruising speed and what seat height have you ended up with.

I would recommend trying a CB500X with RR bits. I rode one last week. If you get a chance, have a day out with Nathan Millward https://www.dorothysspeedshop.com/ (he was the guy who did loads of trips on a "Postie Bike"). I rode a Himalayan, CB500X with £4k of RR upgrades, plus a standard CRF300 Rallye. Nathan guided us on some awesome lanes and fabulous scenery!

The CB500 was great on tarmac, but I did not like it off road. Suggest you try the bikes back-to-back, he also has a BMW 310 GS... Sadly I never managed to try the 310 because someone had bent it!!!

CRF easily best off road. Himmie was a revelation, surprisingly good! CB500X was a road bike trying hard to do some off road stuff (I'm no expert but I think the wide front tyre was the main culprit)...

Being the "customers" we got to choose which bike we rode. By the end of the day, my brother was glued to the Himmie, enjoying it's great road manners, ample green lane ability, plus comfy seat. I was loving the CRF as it had a bit more poke, less weight and I felt it was best off road (narrow seat and low gearing meant it was least good on tarmac). That left Nathan stuck with the CB500 ;) However if I was planning a "big trip" that involved loads of road miles between off-road sections, the 500 would be an awesome choice... They're all good bikes, and every one is a compromise...

Here's my brother (glued to the Himmie!), Nathan, and the bikes:

Attachments

• Nathan Millward off road.jpg
    Nathan Millward off road.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 277

Back
Top Bottom