Faulty TPMS Sensor?

Fourbears

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This morning I was on a 270 mile round trip and 20 miles in the rear TPMS sensor was showing a red tyre and no pressure - just 3 lines/dots. After stopping and checking the tyre lo and behold the tyre was at the correct pressure with no nails etc in the tyre. So I carried on and the tyre pressure was good the whole way. So I’m guessing that the sensor is u/s and will need replacing ( the bike has a BMW warranty thank goodness). Anyone else experienced this?

Must admit I don't look at it.
Surely you would know if you had no pressure in a tyre ie flat ?

This morning I was on a 270 mile round trip and 20 miles in the rear TPMS sensor was showing a red tyre and no pressure - just 3 lines/dots. After stopping and checking the tyre lo and behold the tyre was at the correct pressure with no nails etc in the tyre. So I carried on and the tyre pressure was good the whole way. So I’m guessing that the sensor is u/s and will need replacing ( the bike has a BMW warranty thank goodness). Anyone else experienced this?

Batteries in the sensor?

Very likely a failing battery, sometimes though it can lose connection. If it's a genuine low pressure then it will show your pressure with the warning light. Mine now shows that on a few occasions but the TPMS are original and the bike is 5 years old.

I just changed mine. They (the batteries at least) seem to last about 4-5 years. I was OK with mine reading "blank", but when it started telling me fibs it bothered me even more! There's 2 types (on "LC"'s) should you want to replace them, altho I believe all the new "spares" are the Schrader version. My Alloys had a different sensor to the Spoke wheels, altho they both work fine when programmed to the bike...

BMW will charge you about £100 per sensor, pain in the backside if you have new-ish tyres (I had planned to wait until my tyres needed replaced, but then decided to just bite the bullet and change the rear one)

Spoken to my local dealer. They think it’s a faulty sensor which is covered under warranty which is good as I’ve only had the bike for just over 2 weeks! Only problem is they can’t look at for 2 weeks. Tyre is still inflated.

My bike is just 5 years old and the rear sensor battery is failing, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't and a flat tyre warning appears.

Seems to be more reliable if I am riding it almost daily but I'll live with it until I change the tyres then change the batteries in both at the same time.

Seem to be having a run on batteries. Remote fob early in the year then the main battery followed by the alarm batteries now the TPMS batteries. Guess thats just the way it goes.

Just FYI here are the two sensor types I encountered.

Fist pic is an Alloy Wheel from October 2018
Second pic is the newer Schrader type on a Spoke wheel from a very early 1250 (probably very late 2018)

Attachments

• new sensor spoke wheel.jpg
    new sensor spoke wheel.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 100
  • old style sensor alloy wheel.jpg
    old style sensor alloy wheel.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 98
Changing the battery is easy as long as you take your time when fitting the new battery. There are plenty of guides around.

Back
Top Bottom