Powder Coating Wheels

mpgscott

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So looking to either strip and paint the wheels myself over winter or possibly get them dipped and powder coated.

Is changing out the front wheel bearings something you can do without a full size press? Done various bearings in the past when had access to a press but at the moment i don't have access to one. Has anyone done this with tooling that wont break the bank?

Used a bearing puller set in the past on the car to replace front wheel bearings without taking the full hub assembly off so wondering if there is something similar that anyone has used on the bike? Or should i simply get local garage to replace them if i did get them coated.

https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTe...ocphy=9012970&hvtargid=pla-380969059348&psc=1

As normal any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Front wheel bearings are easy to knock out with a drift from the opposite side.
Remember to put the new ones in the freezer for a while so they go in easier.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

rimtech uk are based in ellon. does a good job, did my golf diamond cut alloys. also does powder coating.

Perfect thanks folks.. Will give them a shout in Ellon, thanks Jags. I have used the lads in Dyce before for the car with good results.

Can you possibly use a slide hammer to remove them or does the spacer tube mean you cant get access? Im just thinking maybe i could get a washer in there to remove with slide hammer?

So for refitting the bearings do i need a press you think? Or if in the freezer and then make up a little compressor with a bit of threaded bar and washer to go over the outer race to pull it back in?

when you send your wheels to be powder coated - leave the old bearings in they will fall out.

You do not need a press to insert.

Thanks Malcopopolo, so you basically put them in the freezer then re-assemble the wheel and they will pull together.

Thanks
Mark

You may need to persuade them in. for the LC wheel bearings i had an aluminium 47mm drift made on a friends lathe and used a hammer to insert.

you might be able to use some threaded bar and some large washers.

Remember it's only the left hand bearing that goes fully home.

2018-10-02-2.png

Back
Top Bottom