the seat bolt

Afmuir

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone come up with a solution for replacing this bolt which is stripped out of the seat? I have tried gluing a nut into this recess and threading a bolt through which works great for a while but eventually comes out again as the glue doesn't hold. Last time used Araldite epoxy. Any other solutions out there? Thanks.

IMG_3955.jpg

I don't have a seat like that, or had to fix one, but....
How about using a long hex nut (say 40mm) with a pin or bolt fixed into a horizontal hole through the plastic, and nut?
Or a rod threaded internally, fixed the same way?

How about using a long hex nut (say 40mm) with a pin or bolt fixed into a horizontal hole through the plastic, and nut?

Both suggestions would work.

hmm yes, thanks. so a hex bolt set into the hole there and then a hoz smaller bolt fixed in to stop the main bolt pulling out of the hole as the seat gets fastened down.

Three options

1. Deep nut heated with a blow torch till red hot and pushed into hole and left till cool

2 same as above but small hole drilled into plastic mounting post to take a grub screw

3. You can get internally threaded fixings for wood that have a splined out surface ,one of them again heated and screwed into the boss

Like this

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 247
hmm yes, thanks. so a hex bolt set into the hole there and then a hoz smaller bolt fixed in to stop the main bolt pulling out of the hole as the seat gets fastened down.

The smaller bolt could even be an R clip.

Can you not remove the padding and go in from the top of the seat ?

thanks, good tips, will investigate

Three options

1. Deep nut heated with a blow torch till red hot and pushed into hole and left till cool

2 same as above but small hole drilled into plastic mounting post to take a grub screw

3. You can get internally threaded fixings for wood that have a splined out surface ,one of them again heated and screwed into the boss

Like this

Hi, has anyone come up with a solution for replacing this bolt which is stripped out of the seat? I have tried gluing a nut into this recess and threading a bolt through which works great for a while but eventually comes out again as the glue doesn't hold. Last time used Araldite epoxy. Any other solutions out there? Thanks.

View attachment 513401

I sold my bike after robbing bastard dealer tried to charge £260 for drilling bolt out !!!

Just an observation, looking at the damage around the 2 adjacent buffers is the seat sitting correctly? ie does the seat need raising slightly to reduce the load on the bolt which may of caused the problem in the first place.

Repair wise what I would consider is find someone with a lathe and turn a plug with a threaded hole for a bolt/stud. Drill some holes on the sides of the existing boss and epoxy resin the plug in to place. Personally I would use a stud not a bolt as the bit which will wear ie the plug is the worst bit to change, if the stud is used the nut is the wearing part just change the nut. For better access for the nut use a stud joiner ie long nut.

Good timing, just found I have the same problem with an identical seat and thought the horizontal bar option to be worth a try. Seat stuck on the bike as the retaining bolt just rotates so have to drill out the head first to enable seat removal, what a shit design BMW.

Remove seat padding, and insert bolt from the top, and JB weld in place. Fit a nut on the bottom end to fasten seat.
Even better would be a top hat shaped piece made on a lathe, fitted from the top. Threaded to tak a nut to affix the seat. Again, araldited, or job weld or similar to keep in place in the seat base.

Back
Top Bottom