Gear shift assist

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was this always standard on 2014- present GSA LC TE's ? :nenau

Its an option -

So only present if you specced it, or a package that had it in was specced

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm. It's a new (to me) 2015 GSA 1200 LC TE, I even emailed the VIN to Cotswold and they were unable to tell me.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm. It's a new (to me) 2015 GSA 1200 LC TE, I even emailed the VIN to Cotswold and they were unable to tell me.

You can retrofit very easy for you buy unit cheap ebay, and take to BMW for activate, more cheaper

Was this always standard on 2014- present GSA LC TE's ? :nenau

Option even on the TE model , but it makes a clunky gearbox even worse, mine went through either2 or 3 units and numerous ecu updates and never worked properly, in the end got it taken off and the gearchange became slightly less crap

Option even on the TE model , but it makes a clunky gearbox even worse, mine went through either2 or 3 units and numerous ecu updates and never worked properly, in the end got it taken off and the gearchange became slightly less crap

I was in Cotswold Motorrad this afternoon and one of the parts staff said something very similar so I think I'll leave well enough alone.:thumb

I had it retro fitted on my 2015 GS as I don’t remember it being an option when I bought the bike new. It’s never been smooth, and I only use it going up from 3rd upwards occasionally, and never going down the box, as it’s next to useless. It’s probably the worst 500 Euros I’ve ever spent.

I had it on my 67 plate 1200 for my short ownership.

It was fine sometimes, other times it was just downright clunky and the fact you could never tell which it was going to be made me use the clutch most of the time.

Having to think if the next gear change is going to be smooth or not isn’t what I ride a bike for.

It seemed better on the 1250 I had a test on so many it’s improved.

Its not the greatest but there is a "Knack" to get it to operate in an "OK" way.

As said above going up the box wants to be 3rd onwards (2nd to 3rd if under heavy acceleration is OK) but the key is you need to be on the gas and dont let off during the change.

Down the box (its like pot luck) you need to load the shift lever with a bit of pressure and you need to be slightly on the gas too - if you have throttle closed all the way it doesn't seem to allow the engine to "blip" the throttle.

Well thats how I have found it to work best - I am sure others have different techniques but I have friends who have jumped ship from BMW to KTM and they say that the KTM quickshifter is far better but then I suppose the clue is in the name KTM = Quickshifter / BMW = Gear Shift Assist - I suppose their argument will be it is not a "quickshifter"

I find mine works pretty well, it’s on a 2016 euro 3 so before the gearbox improvements

Yes it’s a stiff/heavy gear change so I find it works best if you’re wearing touring boots, the lack of sensitivity becomes an advantage, don’t fanny about with the gear lever! If you hesitate on an up-change you can cut the motor without shifting gear which results in a very unpleasant lurch forwards, so toe the lever like you mean it

Up changes are fine all the way from 1st as long as the box is under load, even fairly gentle acceleration

For down changes always close the throttle completely and let the blipper do it’s thing, again don’t be gentle with the lever and it’s great

I find the down changes most rewarding when you go barn storming into a corner and slam down the box hard on the brakes like a loon, the auto blipper avoids you pumping the front brake as sometimes happens when you do the same thing manually

It's called a gear shift assist - but it doesn't assist and doesn't enhance the riding experience - I mostly ignore it apart from the occasional hard acceleration on slip roads when joining traffic.

I had i fitted to my 65 plate TB when i bought it. I think its fantastic, one of the best bits of the bike. I tend to ride the bike mostly above 5k revs, and very rarely let them drop below 4k, and when above 5k revs it is really quite good. And as said above, down changes are perfect everytime, as long as you change gear like you mean it.

To the OP, are you asking if your bike has it fitted? You can tell by looking, you'll have a big switch block on the end of the gear shift shaft.

Stu

I find it works well upshifting from 3rd gear upwards on full throttle. Also works great, if not better, on downshifts with the throttle fully closed. The higher the revs the better, upshifting or downshifting.

It was not available on my 2014 GSA TE, but when it became available (Im guessing 2016ish), I had it retro fitted for approx £350. To be honest, I rarely use it.
(Hill start is also a retro fit option, but not interested)

It was not available on my 2014 GSA TE, but when it became available (Im guessing 2016ish), I had it retro fitted for approx £350. To be honest, I rarely use it.
(Hill start is also a retro fit option, but not interested)

It was fitted to my 2014 GS

You are very correct vRSG60 ; my research reveals it was fitted to R1200GS's built after August, 2013 (starting VIN: Z184816).
( It wasn’t fitted to my ‘fully loaded’ 2014GSA though )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are very correct vRSG60 ; my research reveals it was fitted to R1200GS's built after August, 2013 (starting VIN: Z184816).

Correct, my '63 plate had one fitted. Unlike many, I found it fine when going up and down the box, could even use it 1-2 with a light, but still accelerating throttle.

Tried one on an F850 recently and admittedly that was a fair bit smoother.

Rarely use it now.

I agree with everything said here. GSAP is very useable on upshifts , on my 2014, provided that I am giving it beans and keep the throttle pinned. Not so good on gentle dawdling . However it is at its best on downshifts . That said , I rarely use it, because I enjoy changing gears and, despite what people say about agricultural GS gearboxes, mine is super smooth , provided that I have earplugs in so that I cannot hear clunks .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can it be removed? I have it on my 2015 GSA and it drives me nuts, I'd love to be able to have a normal gearchange again.

Back
Top Bottom