Obtaining Garmin Refurbished Issues.

my 4th unit that was replaced just over a month ago has started to show signs of failure, buttons not responding and map moving about. only occasionally at the moment, but it's the beginning of the end of this unit.
I contacted Garmin again asked if this unit had been tested, would not answer that question.
Weirdly they have told me that as my unit is within the 90 day warranty I should seek exchange with BMW. I imagine williams will be well chuffed when I go into them and ask them to exchange this failing unit. I am bit flummoxed by this, as it's been nearly 4 years since I bought my original Nav vi from them.
I think it will be a case of he said she said. if Garmin think I am going to pay 150 for a replacement unit that failed after 1 month, that had been AHEM!! rigorously tested, they can f@*k off. I really wish I could take this shower of s@*t to task.

my 4th unit that was replaced just over a month ago has started to show signs of failure, buttons not responding and map moving about. only occasionally at the moment, but it's the beginning of the end of this unit.
I contacted Garmin again asked if this unit had been tested, would not answer that question.
Weirdly they have told me that as my unit is within the 90 day warranty I should seek exchange with BMW. I imagine williams will be well chuffed when I go into them and ask them to exchange this failing unit. I am bit flummoxed by this, as it's been nearly 4 years since I bought my original Nav vi from them.
I think it will be a case of he said she said. if Garmin think I am going to pay 150 for a replacement unit that failed after 1 month, that had been AHEM!! rigorously tested, they can f@*k off. I really wish I could take this shower of s@*t to task.

If the unit was supplied by Garmin with a 90 day warranty, I don't see what that has to do with BMW. If BMW were responsible, they would have replaced the unit before having to fork out £££ to garmin for a refurbished unit. That sounds rubbish. I also have a refurbished unit, which I had to pay Garmin for, but for me, mine is still ok 6 months later, but if it packs up, they will not be getting another £150 off me.They are basically ripping us off, if the units have known faults which they do, then they should replace with a unit that doesn't have issues. I am out of my 90 day warranty, so you should get a replacement, so it will be interesting to see what a BMW dealer will do :)

So, you like me are effectively renting the Navigator 6...

If it's not replaced, I will be submitting a section 75 claim as it was paid for by credit card.

My new unit arrived yesterday the only difference is the hardware version as per pics below, not tried it on the bike yet.

Attachments

• DF233BC7-2BB5-46C7-B8D4-D698FBBBCC65.jpeg
    DF233BC7-2BB5-46C7-B8D4-D698FBBBCC65.jpeg
    94.9 KB · Views: 147
  • 0A04BE9A-1692-4D0E-BEB5-1933D633D32F.jpeg
    0A04BE9A-1692-4D0E-BEB5-1933D633D32F.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 149
Update as I created this thread.

Just to recap. I was turned down during a webchat for a 'refurb' unit because there were multiple users registered to the unit (one apparently). Backtracking through the Items for Sale in an attempt to perhaps identify the registered user reached an impasse.

So today I rung Garmin and spoke to a human being, asked for my unit to be repaired rather than immediately requesting a 'refurb.' Provided my email address and device serial number. They immediately offered a 'refurb' unit for £141. No interrogation, no request for proof of purchase and no ifs and buts. Straightforward interaction.

I did not push it and inquire as to whether the other registered user had dropped off the device.

I call that a result of sorts but I could have done without the hassle.

Update as I created this thread.

Just to recap. I was turned down during a webchat for a 'refurb' unit because there were multiple users registered to the unit (one apparently). Backtracking through the Items for Sale in an attempt to perhaps identify the registered user reached an impasse.

So today I rung Garmin and spoke to a human being, asked for my unit to be repaired rather than immediately requesting a 'refurb.' Provided my email address and device serial number. They immediately offered a 'refurb' unit for £141. No interrogation, no request for proof of purchase and no ifs and buts. Straightforward interaction.

I did not push it and inquire as to whether the other registered user had dropped off the device.

I call that a result of sorts but I could have done without the hassle.

Good to hear you have had result, the new one keeps going, unlike mine unfortunately.

Very happy to report that after all the issues my replacement Nav 6 arrived by UPS today and it is the latest Make Life a Ride updated version which is a real bonus. Hopefully it proves reliable.

Software Version: 10
BMW Motorrad: 16

Very happy to report that after all the issues my replacement Nav 6 arrived by UPS today and it is the latest Make Life a Ride updated version which is a real bonus. Hopefully it proves reliable.

Software Version: 10
BMW Motorrad: 16

Mine too. A new Nav 6 rather than a refurb, latest type also.

Fingers crossed.

My new, straight out of the box, Nav VI ‘Make life a ride’ developed demonic possession and has gone back to BMW for a refund. Either that or the cradle or some other part of the bike is suddenly faulty. It was fine one month (including a five day jaunt to the Ardennes in November) and duff the next.

My new, straight out of the box, Nav VI ‘Make life a ride’ developed demonic possession and has gone back to BMW for a refund. Either that or the cradle or some other part of the bike is suddenly faulty. It was fine one month (including a five day jaunt to the Ardennes in November) and duff the next.

And there was me thinking 5th time lucky - I'm doomed.

Refuse to go to Tom Tom. They suggested I might have stolen my original Rider due having no receipt (it was a present) and refused to honour the warranty - even though it had only been out for a year or so and the serial number would have confirmed it was a recent purchase.

Replacement received my side and was given the updated make life a ride version. Quick spin and looks fine I’ll beat the shite out of it before the warranty expires and see what happens. I won’t be spending another €180 if this one goes bang

I've had this ghosting issue for several months now and as the unit is well out of warranty i have no choice but to muddle on with it.
I've found this on another gs site and tried it on a run out today. The workaround seems to work and the only downside is not being able to use the jog wheel.

Screenshot-2021-12-24-162301.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I got a call from Williams BMW in Manchester yesterday to say that BMW have agreed to cover the cost of replacing my 25 months old Nav6, I just need to pop in tomorrow and they'll exchange mine for a new (refreshed) one. Result.

I got a call from Williams BMW in Manchester yesterday to say that BMW have agreed to cover the cost of replacing my 25 months old Nav6, I just need to pop in tomorrow and they'll exchange mine for a new (refreshed) one. Result.

Well done, great result.

here we go again, unit number 4 has started to go the way of the pear. usual shite, ghosting, screen changes etc. it is about 1 week out of the 90 day warranty, WTF is up with these satnavs. I have contacted Garmin. getting ready for the email tennis. I am convinced they don't really read the emails, just give out pat answers. but I might be wrong.

here we go again, unit number 4 has started to go the way of the pear. usual shite, ghosting, screen changes etc. it is about 1 week out of the 90 day warranty, WTF is up with these satnavs. I have contacted Garmin. getting ready for the email tennis. I am convinced they don't really read the emails, just give out pat answers. but I might be wrong.
What’s the hard ware version of your unit please.

Keep at them. The original nav 6 is shite.

Back
Top Bottom