Obtaining Garmin Refurbished Issues.

Fullchat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In April 20 I purchased a Nav 6 from a contributor to this site. Fully boxed etc.
Its been playing up and I thought I would chop it in with Garmin for a refurb.
I've been on the chat line. However they state that the device is registered to 'multiple' users.
When pushed that turns out to be just one other than myself.
What they do state is that they want the original proof of purchase which wasn't supplied.

I have the sellers email and will contact him directly to see if we can resolve.

In the meantime, has anyone any experiences or advice as anecdotally seemingly people have chopped in devices for paid refurbs without issues?

I acquired one with a bike I bought and recently broke the screen…I traded it for a refurbished one from Garmin Southampton and they couldn’t have handled it better. No question of ownership. (The returned one was indistinguishable from new)

No issues with mine, I did buy it new though and was the only registered owner. What a lot don't know is, when you de register a Nav, you have to do it on Garmin Express and on the Garmin webite. But when you register, it only needs doing on Garmin express

I have had my Montana “refurbished” twice. It’s not refurbished really, it’s swapped for another one that has been refurbished. Both times what I received was indistinguishable from new.

But, they don’t re-install maps you may have bought separately from the device, in my case from Garmin as a download and as these are downloads are locked to a specific device (the one you sent back) it’s right royal PITA getting the codes out of Garmin and making the downloads work on the new device. It’s been a few years since I last did this and I can’t recall how it was resolved but I just remember it being really really complicated. I suspect it’s different if the maps were bundled with the hardware at the time of first sale. Anyway back it all up before sending off.

Keep your fingers crossed that the person you bought the secondhand device from is the person shown on Garmin’s records and that they’ll then de-register it. If that person had themselves bought it secondhand, then the registered owner (as shown in Garmin’s records) might be untraceable.

Mine's bought off here and is now playing and I'm waiting for a copy of the proof of purchase so I can send it to Garmin

My experience is this, new 1250rt in June 2019 the navigation Garmin V1 brought from dealer at same time and on vehicle invoice, screen failed in France couple of weeks ago a common problem, Garmin don't want to know out of 2 yr warranty, offered a refurbished unit same model for £141, will likely suffer same issues, apparently the latest nav quotes "life's a ride" has resolved the issues and is the one to get, went to my local BMW dealer with vehicle invoice and they just swapped it for a new life's a ride sat nav no fuss
If your original purchaser still has invoice you may be in luck under good will.

Unable to obtain the original receipt so I’m stuck with it.

Other than the facility to chose between Nav VI & phone for music it’s not worth the upgrade. Glad I kept my Nav V

Unable to obtain the original receipt so I’m stuck with it.

Other than the facility to chose between Nav VI & phone for music it’s not worth the upgrade. Glad I kept my Nav V

I wasn't asked for the original receipt, all they were interested in was it was registered to me and from that they knew the serial number. I sent no supporting paperwork apart from the returns number they provided me with.

Similar issue my side, bought the Nav 6 here and noticed it was acting up after the first use.

Contacted Garmin they wouldn’t do anything as it was still under warranty and it’s a bmw issue.

Contacted the original owner and he offered a refund however he sounded genuine and I decided I bought the unit cheap so it’s my own problem.

My local bmw dealer was shite and ignored my mail until I went to bmw Europe who weren’t arsed either.

Went back to Garmin explaining the above and said I need to buy a new sat Nav and the way things are I won’t be buying Garmin again, that’s not what either of us want and would they do anything? They are in the process of sending a refurbished unit for €180 with a 3 month warranty

I wasn't asked for the original receipt, all they were interested in was it was registered to me and from that they knew the serial number. I sent no supporting paperwork apart from the returns number they provided me with.

From the serial number Garmin can only determine when the unit was manufactured not when it was first sold. So they told me. Hence they didn’t know if was still in warranty.

From the serial number Garmin can only determine when the unit was manufactured not when it was first sold. So they told me. Hence they didn’t know if was still in warranty.

Well as I said, they didn't ask me for any proof of purchase and had no interest in if it was still in warranty, because if it was, then BMW would have had to replace it. So they only offered me the £145 refurbished option, but mine was over a year out of the warranty given with the unit from BMW. If yours was purchased by the previous owner from BMW, that dealer would have proof of sale, also if the previous owner ever did a map update, the unit would be showing when it was first registered. Therefore the only thing I can see they are can be worried about, is if you are the owner of the unit. Of course if you are looking for a free replacement then that is a different situation.But we are all armchair experts and I don't know what they are telling you, so I can only replay my experience :)

nav 6

my nav was purchased new with the bike 2019,
to be honest its hardly used,the bikes only done 7k,and the nav is never in the bike.
used it last week for a day and it went tits up all day (ghosting) cheltnam bmw said common fault they said, not our problem now garmins.
they gave me the info to get in touch with and i did.
they said £141 for an exchanged refurbed nav,i explained the use its had laid up etc {covid}
i said but its a common well known fault etc they didnt want to know ?
so i ask what warrantee is on the new/refurbed unit 3 months they said,the bike will be put away soon till after the new year i said,
(pissing in the wind)
they know theres fuck all that will fit in the sat navs gap on my k1600.
anything else i could do to get this resolved in my favour .

my nav was purchased new with the bike 2019,
to be honest its hardly used,the bikes only done 7k,and the nav is never in the bike.
used it last week for a day and it went tits up all day (ghosting) cheltnam bmw said common fault they said, not our problem now garmins.
they gave me the info to get in touch with and i did.
they said £141 for an exchanged refurbed nav,i explained the use its had laid up etc {covid}
i said but its a common well known fault etc they didnt want to know ?
so i ask what warrantee is on the new/refurbed unit 3 months they said,the bike will be put away soon till after the new year i said,
(pissing in the wind)
they know theres fuck all that will fit in the sat navs gap on my k1600.
anything else i could do to get this resolved in my favour .

My experience is this, new 1250rt in June 2019 the navigation Garmin V1 brought from dealer at same time and on vehicle invoice, screen failed in France couple of weeks ago a common problem, Garmin don't want to know out of 2 yr warranty, offered a refurbished unit same model for £141, will likely suffer same issues, apparently the latest nav quotes "life's a ride" has resolved the issues and is the one to get, went to my local BMW dealer with vehicle invoice and they just swapped it for a new life's a ride sat nav no fuss
If your original purchaser still has invoice you may be in luck under good will.

The Dealer was Sycamore Peterborough they were not the bike suppling dealer, I was there to buy a new helmet and mentioned the problem with the sat nav

nav v1

mark,i got back to motorad cheltnam today told them what garmin said,
to be quite honest they didnt want to know.
i think it was matt i spoke too ?
might put a pissed off email to them to see if they can be arsed to help me considering the hassle ive had with the k1600 i purchased off them ???

It seems some dealers act differently to others on warranty work, It's worth taking your purchase invoice (It needs to show the sat nav on it) or a separate same day invoice for the sat nav from the supplying dealer and your faulty nav to Sycamore Peterborough they are only 25 miles further than Cheltenham BMW and hopefully they will swap yours for a new "Life's a Ride" nav 6 no fuss, good luck:thumb2

I've just received my refurbished Nav vi back from Garmin, which I had hoped was going to be the new "refresh" version, but it isn't, it's the old version. Has anyone anything in writing from Garmin that the new "refresh" version actually fixes issues with screen ghosting?. If it does fix the ghosting I suspect they are not saying it officially as that would be admitting the old ones have a fault. If the old ones do still have the fault I'm pissed off that I have now paid £141 for a refurbished unit and it may well have the same fault as my old one. Also this fault may take more than the 90 days warranty they are giving to show itself, especially at this time of year when it won't get used much. If Garmin are still sending out the old versions and they know they have a design\build fault it is completely out of order. Mine will certainly get some hammer in the 90day warranty period , it will get jet washed and plenty of greasey glove prints all over it to see if it fails :) . If it does fail it will get video'd and sent back. Rant over.

Back
Top Bottom