Obtaining Garmin Refurbished Issues.

I've just received my refurbished Nav vi back from Garmin, which I had hoped was going to be the new "refresh" version, but it isn't, it's the old version. Has anyone anything in writing from Garmin that the new "refresh" version actually fixes issues with screen ghosting?. If it does fix the ghosting I suspect they are not saying it officially as that would be admitting the old ones have a fault. If the old ones do still have the fault I'm pissed off that I have now paid £141 for a refurbished unit and it may well have the same fault as my old one. Also this fault may take more than the 90 days warranty they are giving to show itself, especially at this time of year when it won't get used much. If Garmin are still sending out the old versions and they know they have a design\build fault it is completely out of order. Mine will certainly get some hammer in the 90day warranty period , it will get jet washed and plenty of greasey glove prints all over it to see if it fails :) . If it does fail it will get video'd and sent back. Rant over.

I have had my refreshed unit for 6 months now and it gets used a lot, still ok. But if it does go bang I will be having a serious conversation with Garmin about the wonga they have had off me, for a piece of kit with a known fault. Not sure if this stuff is covered under the goods act, surely regardless of their warranty, the units are not fit for purpose.

I have had my refreshed unit for 6 months now and it gets used a lot, still ok. But if it does go bang I will be having a serious conversation with Garmin about the wonga they have had off me, for a piece of kit with a known fault. Not sure if this stuff is covered under the goods act, surely regardless of their warranty, the units are not fit for purpose.

Is that an old type "refurbished" NAV VI or the new type "refresh" Nav VI you received?. If it's an old type you sent back I presume it's an "old type" refurbished unit you received. I'v emailed Garmin to say I'm not happy if the refurbished unit I have been sent still has the old hardware\screen that will most likely fail again. Don't have a problem if they would say they have fixed the problem on the screen on late old type Nav VI's. But 90 day warranty on a £141 gamble isn't reaassuring. Have mentioned consumer rights to them & as as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be sending out old type units if they know they have screens that have now been revised on the "refresh version" to fix a problem. Like I say maybe they have fixed it on the late old type we have been sent?? But why won't they say that.

I contacted Garmin today regarding my 2nd hand 3 year old nav vi regarding the ghosting and page jumping. No problem they sent me a return label and charged me £150 for a new/ refurb unit. They never asked anything regarding how I purchased it.

I contacted Garmin today regarding my 2nd hand 3 year old nav vi regarding the ghosting and page jumping. No problem they sent me a return label and charged me £150 for a new/ refurb unit. They never asked anything regarding how I purchased it.

Thats the problem -- you'll receive a refurbished old type Nav VI with 90 day warranty that may have the screen ghosting problem after the 90 days. Then you'll have to pay another £150 for Garmin to do the same again . Unless they'll say the screen "ghost touch" has been fixed we could be back to square one -£150.

10tenmen

You mention that Garmin exchanged your unit without wanting purchase information. Did they ask for the serial number?

This search would show on their registration database 'My Garmin" the number of registered users. If there is only you then there is not an issue. If There is more than you that's regarded as 'Multiple Registered Users and that's when they want proof of purchase.

Thats the problem -- you'll receive a refurbished old type Nav VI with 90 day warranty that may have the screen ghosting problem after the 90 days. Then you'll have to pay another £150 for Garmin to do the same again . Unless they'll say the screen "ghost touch" has been fixed we could be back to square one -£150.

I've had three replacement 6's with the ghosting issue

posted this in another thread, did actually mean to put it here, I"m a numpty,
I am on my 4th unit now since may 18. all with the same problem. the last one was out of the 3 month warranty, that Garmin give for refurb units. I had a long game of email tennis stating units not fit, supposed high end units, not fit, all I am going receive from you is a refurbished unit that no doubt had the very same problem that I am complaining about blah blah blah. in the end they agreed to send me a refurbed unit, as a goodwill gesture, alas still with only 90 day warranty. Every thing about it is the same, apps, pages etc etc, however, to me the screen seems clearer (although nothing to compare it to) the digits, words, maps all seem sharper, bit like going from normal def to high def, and another thing I noticed, it connected to my computer (Mac)and Garmin express, a lot quicker, to plan a route with basecamp. I am one month in so have to wait and see. if this fails it will probably be my last one. revert to soggy maps in tank bags.

I know you were not asking me, but mine went something like.
1. failed after 18 moths williams replaced
2. failed about 6 months later williams replaced
3. failed out of warranty but williams still replaced
4. failed, out of 3 month warranty, replaced by Garmin as goodwill gesture.

posted this in another thread, did actually mean to put it here, I"m a numpty,
I am on my 4th unit now since may 18. all with the same problem. the last one was out of the 3 month warranty, that Garmin give for refurb units. I had a long game of email tennis stating units not fit, supposed high end units, not fit, all I am going receive from you is a refurbished unit that no doubt had the very same problem that I am complaining about blah blah blah. in the end they agreed to send me a refurbed unit, as a goodwill gesture, alas still with only 90 day warranty. Every thing about it is the same, apps, pages etc etc, however, to me the screen seems clearer (although nothing to compare it to) the digits, words, maps all seem sharper, bit like going from normal def to high def, and another thing I noticed, it connected to my computer (Mac)and Garmin express, a lot quicker, to plan a route with basecamp. I am one month in so have to wait and see. if this fails it will probably be my last one. revert to soggy maps in tank bags.

That's Ok about posting on another thread , I replied on it too!.
Don't understand how they (Garmin and delaers are working this??) If Williams replaced it the last time and it only had 90 day warranty that must have been Garmin supplying the refurb unit. Now Garmin have sent another refurb under goodwill.
Do you think it could be the "refresh" version you have now been sent?. does it come up with "make life a ride" when it starts up as I think that is what the refresh version does.
I've just received my third Nav vi after paying £141. 1st two failed with the ghost touch problem , one replaced under warranty. This last one I've had to pay as it was more than 2 years since I bought the first one, so out of warranty. I questioned why this last one Ive been sent wasn't the refresh version but only got a standard reply saying they only replace like for like. Also asked why only 90 day warranty and mentioned sale of goods act etc. but that was all dismissed as not applicable as I'd bought my original one from dealer and to take it up with them. Just don't understand why they won't say if the refurb units they send out have had the screen problem fixed\redesigned. And if they haven't, why don;t they send out the "refresh" versions as refurb replacements. Must cost them more in the long term due to bad PR and actually sending out potentially faulty units that may also get returned under the 90 day period. Simple answer I suppose is that they have a stockpile of older Nav VI to get rid of??.

Evertime a ghosting one is sent back, they probably apply a fix and refurbish it. When I sent mine back, they said the ghosting was a hardware fix, so I assumed the one I got back would be ok. Its 8 months old now and so far so good. But my assumption would seem to be wrong if other refurbished units go pe tong.

That's Ok about posting on another thread , I replied on it too!.
Don't understand how they (Garmin and delaers are working this??) If Williams replaced it the last time and it only had 90 day warranty that must have been Garmin supplying the refurb unit. Now Garmin have sent another refurb under goodwill.
Do you think it could be the "refresh" version you have now been sent?. does it come up with "make life a ride" when it starts up as I think that is what the refresh version does.
I've just received my third Nav vi after paying £141. 1st two failed with the ghost touch problem , one replaced under warranty. This last one I've had to pay as it was more than 2 years since I bought the first one, so out of warranty. I questioned why this last one Ive been sent wasn't the refresh version but only got a standard reply saying they only replace like for like. Also asked why only 90 day warranty and mentioned sale of goods act etc. but that was all dismissed as not applicable as I'd bought my original one from dealer and to take it up with them. Just don't understand why they won't say if the refurb units they send out have had the screen problem fixed\redesigned. And if they haven't, why don;t they send out the "refresh" versions as refurb replacements. Must cost them more in the long term due to bad PR and actually sending out potentially faulty units that may also get returned under the 90 day period. Simple answer I suppose is that they have a stockpile of older Nav VI to get rid of??.

TBF I was amazed that garmin replaced under goodwill. I had given up with these units and decided I was not going to pay for a refurb, and was looking at buying something else. Tom Tom or the likes, then I got the email giving goodwill. No idea why. They even sent me a pre paid postage label. So obviously I took it.

When the last one was replaced by williams I had email tennis with garmin and they wrote it was ok for williams to replace the unit. So all I had to do was forward that particular email and I went to stretford and they swapped it.

Unfortunately this is not a refresh version, although I did ask but was told only like for like. It does not have “make life a ride” but as I previously wrote it definitely seems brighter and more sharp. I am using it every day using various apps directions to work and home etc.

To achieve, we must first attempt.

Evertime a ghosting one is sent back, they probably apply a fix and refurbish it. When I sent mine back, they said the ghosting was a hardware fix, so I assumed the one I got back would be ok. Its 8 months old now and so far so good. But my assumption would seem to be wrong if other refurbished units go pe tong.

This exactly what I was asking garmin, how are you fixing, how do you test, do you attach to a bike and go out with it, as only seem to go wrong when in
use.
Obviously no answer to any questions. I kept asking how can I be sure it’s not gonna fail, answer they are rigorously tested. I reply that cannot be the case as these keep failing for the same thing, for all I know this latest one could be my first failed unit. I doubt they will admit it.

But at least I’ve got another one to play with for now. Although not got any tours planned but will be riding all through winter.

To achieve, we must first attempt.

My questions about whether the refurb units had anything done to them to fix the screen ghost issue were ignored too. Also i asked if the "refesh" units had different screen hardware to fix the problem it was also ignored.
Think the people answering emails either dont know the answer (wuite likely) , or have been told not to say anything. Saying the problem had been fixed would be admitting there was a problem & therefore liabilty.
Since my refurb Nav only has 90 days warranty I've been stress testing it. It withstood the freezer test :) & the been near fire test :) and the wax gloved finger print test :) . So, fingers crossed it might last the test of time. (Or go on the fire) .

Reply to Casbar ---- At least there's hope if your refurb unit has been ok for 8 months. I'll hope mine is ok & Garmin have improved\changed something in them. Think the one i have been sent says V8 hardware on the "about" screen. Dont know what the one sent back was or if its relevant. Shame Garmin dont tell us these things.

As the replacement units are coming from Garmin and they have charged £141 why not try the small claims court for all the units they have sold you? Surely the facts support the claim that they are selling defective units.

tom

As the replacement units are coming from Garmin and they have charged £141 why not try the small claims court for all the units they have sold you? Surely the facts support the claim that they are selling defective units.

tom
Totally agree but i think Garmin say they havent sold me the original Nav, the dealer has, so sale of goods act etc. Doesnt apply to Garmin. As for the refurb unit, they didnt sell that, they sold a repair service & chose to fullfil that by supplying a replacement.
Its not worth the hassle with them and I'll just hope they have done something to fix the screens & that current one lasts .
I did mention it to dealer a while back and they said their warranty on them only covers 2 years & after that its up to Garmin to deal with problems. (Which does sound reasonable to me). It just Garmin not saying what the fault is nor saying if its fixed in the units they are now sending out as "chargeable, £141" refurbished ones thats the problem\doubt. & with only 90 day warrantees!.

Totally agree but i think Garmin say they havent sold me the original Nav, the dealer has, so sale of goods act etc. Doesnt apply to Garmin. As for the refurb unit, they didnt sell that, they sold a repair service & chose to fullfil that by supplying a replacement.
Its not worth the hassle with them and I'll just hope they have done something to fix the screens & that current one lasts .
I did mention it to dealer a while back and they said their warranty on them only covers 2 years & after that its up to Garmin to deal with problems. (Which does sound reasonable to me). It just Garmin not saying what the fault is nor saying if its fixed in the units they are now sending out as "chargeable, £141" refurbished ones thats the problem\doubt. & with only 90 day warrantees!.

They are sending out a 'repaired' unit and charging you £141 for it. However you dress it up you are paying money for an item that is not fit for purpose, in some cases multiple times. Put a claim in for every £141 you have forked out and see what they do.

tom

I've had three replacement 6's with the ghosting issue

And the latest (4th) replacement failed today. Garmin, with the Nav 6 really are a shower of shite. The fact that some have had no issues is irrelevant to those of us who have had multiple failures.

It must be a money maker for them - charge you £150, knowing that you'll be, in effect, renting from them, for each replacement.

Back
Top Bottom