Wild camping Isle of Skye, suggestions please

Wushuplayer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Planning to do a wild camp on the Isle of Skye this Sun for 1 night, weather seems to be reasonable.

Anybody have any specific locations for a place either where I can park my bike next to my tent (if possible) or not too far from it? Lovely views etc.

Cheers!

Personally I don't advertise wild camping spots publicly or the good spots would get busy and full of trash. Best advice would be to look at the OS map, find small roads and quiet areas and explore wee tracks that hide you from the road. A good idea is to find sections of the old road when it has been upgraded, you can often head away from sight down a section.
Any don't have a fire if there is a risk of it spreading, don't leave any sign of having been there and don't publicise it. And enjoy.

Don't know which weather forecast you've seen, but it looks to be blowing a hoolie on Sunday night? We should be in Ullapool by then, assuming the planets align.
Mark

Personally I don't advertise wild camping spots publicly or the good spots would get busy and full of trash. Best advice would be to look at the OS map, find small roads and quiet areas and explore wee tracks that hide you from the road. A good idea is to find sections of the old road when it has been upgraded, you can often head away from sight down a section.
Any don't have a fire if there is a risk of it spreading, don't leave any sign of having been there and don't publicise it. And enjoy.

Good advice

Personally if I was planning a wild camp on Skye I’d park my bike up in the car park of the Sligachan hotel where it will be perfectly safe and just walk half a mile or so into the nearby mountains. Plenty of places there where you will be able to tuck yourself away so as not to be obvious but at the same time be granted some privacy and not draw attention to yourself.
As has been said already, ideally don’t light any fires or if you do, make a fire breaker to stop any embers blowing away and causing an unintentional fire. Leave everything exactly as you found it and take all your rubbish away and dispose of it appropriately.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.

All great advice, thanks. In the end I went down pass Skye to camp along Lochailort. Was a beautiful place. Was planning to go to a costal foraging course around there but ended up spending a day with a Scottish traveller, also into bikes and he showed me around!

Do people look at where the 'bad' weather is and avoid those places? If so, then I guess you end up missing out a lot of the West Coast?

I'm in Fort William at the moment, was thinking to go to Oban next. Any suggestions on 1 or 2 more stops down the West or anywhere really, before leaving Scotland?

I'm in Fort William at the moment, was thinking to go to Oban next. Any suggestions on 1 or 2 more stops down the West or anywhere really, before leaving Scotland?

It's a shame you're not still in Lochailort. I'd have suggested going into Moidart, past Glenuig, down to Salen and then taking a right and heading into Ardnamurchan. If you keep going through Kilchoan and to the very end of the road, it takes you to the lighthouse at Ardnamurchan Point which is the most Westerly Point on the British mainland.

As Schtum says, pity you've moved on, however you can still double back and take the road he suggest, though it's an absolute cnut of a road out to the lighthouse. Though you could take that route to Strontian and back to the Corran ferry then head down the coast to Oban via the Connel bridge then down to Lochgiphead, all fantastic stuff.

All great advice, thanks. In the end I went down pass Skye to camp along Lochailort. Was a beautiful place. Was planning to go to a costal foraging course around there but ended up spending a day with a Scottish traveller, also into bikes and he showed me around!

Do people look at where the 'bad' weather is and avoid those places? If so, then I guess you end up missing out a lot of the West Coast?

If you can download an app called PredictWind ,, that will show the weather fairly accurately hour by hour ,, gives you the Big picture and local focus
It’s the one I use when I am wandering with my bike and tent :thumb2:

IMO, the Ardnamurchan lighthouse road is the type you do once, (although done it thrice :blast ) to say you've done it and never bother again, bit like the Bealach na Bà these days.
For us "locals" up here we have plenty of excellent biking roads to play on without faffing on these roads.
But I'm sure nice roads to those who are from more densely populated areas.

Back on track- wild camping, wherever just make sure you make a good effort at keeping area clean after you leave.
My family in the Far North are getting a bit fed up with the mess left by many non camping types.
NJ's advice is how I would do it. :thumb2

Varkasaig Beach ,down a single track road which is a bit rough and doesnt look like its an access road.

IMO, the Ardnamurchan lighthouse road is the type you do once, (although done it thrice :blast ) to say you've done it and never bother again, bit like the Bealach na Bà these days.
For us "locals" up here we have plenty of excellent biking roads to play on without faffing on these roads.
But I'm sure nice roads to those who are from more densely populated areas.

Back on track- wild camping, wherever just make sure you make a good effort at keeping area clean after you leave.
My family in the Far North are getting a bit fed up with the mess left by many non camping types.
NJ's advice is how I would do it. :thumb2

I’d echo that. Some roads are just to prove you’ve ‘done it’. Ardnamurchan. Bealach Na Ba. John O’ Groats. Kinlochleven. Unless you’re stopping at the end of the road, don’t bother twice.

ps - I’ve done them all more than once in half a century. I’m now wary of heading down recommended Goat Tracks.

I’d echo that. Some roads are just to prove you’ve ‘done it’. Ardnamurchan. Bealach Na Ba. John O’ Groats. Kinlochleven. Unless you’re stopping at the end of the road, don’t bother twice.

ps - I’ve done them all more than once in half a century. I’m now wary of heading down recommended Goat Tracks.

To be fair the KLL loop is always a treat, the others...pah.

Unless you’re stopping at the end of the road, don’t bother twice.

Get off the beaten track. It's what your adventure bike is for. ;)

Until not so long ago, there was the Sonachan Hotel on the road from Kilchoan out to the lighthouse. They had a good bunkhouse and ran the café in the lighthouse buildings.
I believe the hotel is now a private house.

There's the Kilchoan Hotel but I've heard mixed reports on that.

The wee A frame houses in Kilchoan used to be for rent.

Also, in the summer month, there's the ferry from Kilchoan over to Tobermory.

Back
Top Bottom