Trousers

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Why is it a mission to find a pair of textile trouser that fit .
Been looking for a new pair of textile trousers for on and off two years ,went up to j&s today and tried a pair of alpinestars on they felt good looked ok ,so bought them got them home and then tried them on without the liner in ,bugger the knee armour was positioned below my knee and was flapping around when walking around . Back to square one

Why is it a mission to find a pair of textile trouser that fit .
Been looking for a new pair of textile trousers for on and off two years ,went up to j&s today and tried a pair of alpinestars on they felt good looked ok ,so bought them got them home and then tried them on without the liner in ,bugger the knee armour was positioned below my knee and was flapping around when walking around . Back to square one

Can you not reposition the armour? All textile trousers I've had over the years have adjustable (velcro) pockets for the armour and I'd be surprised that a reasonable make such as AStar doesn't :nenau

Andres

I don't know what your budget is, be=ut generally speaking the better quality suits offer different sizes/fittings although they cost more

You are wise to try a suit on before buying as an ill fitting item could be dangerous in the unfortunate event of an accident

Hope this helps .... Good luck

Thanks for the reply’s
I’ve decided to keep the alpinestars ,the knee armour had about 1” of adjustment so it’s a bit better I will get some additional Velcro sewn on the calf as it seems a bit too wide and elongate the Velcro at the bottom of the leg . The rest of the pants fit very well ,which having tried loads of other brands is great . Quite why there is such a difference between manufacturers is a mystery .

Can you not reposition the armour? All textile trousers I've had over the years have adjustable (velcro) pockets for the armour and I'd be surprised that a reasonable make such as AStar doesn't :nenau

Andres

Yeah most of them are adjustable and has knee protectors. I'm using Saxon Textile Pants from viking cycle. It's pretty reasonable and quiet and better than other expensive trousers that I had experienced a couple of months ago!

I wear Dainese New Drake Air textile trousers,

They are fairly tight fitting and a bit elasticated which means that they are extremely comfortable on and off the bike and they hold the knee and shin armor in the right place (the even fit tosser shaped riders)

Not sure if they do a version with thermal lining but mine are good all year round within reason

Can anyone please recommend any textile trousers

Can anyone please recommend any textile trousers that waterproof and don't leak at the crotch I've never found any that don't leak there.

I reckon its the riding position on a 650 funduro and the way the water pools where your crotch the tank and your seat meet ... eventually and inevitably water is bound to work its way through the crotch seam

I've no objection to wearing waterproof over trousers when I know the weather is or is going to be bad but the damn manufacturers for some reason I'll never understand seem to think we need vents in the crotch area.. which of course also let in water which defeats the whole object of wearing the damn things

Thank you for your suggestion. A little beyond me at the moment price wise.
And there is part of your problem. In my experience, when it comes to waterproof gear you get what you pay for. Waterproofs also need to fit well, specifically for trousers the waist doesn’t want to be low (water gets between jacket and trousers) nor do trousers need to be too tight when sat - stretches seams open which will leak before long; also not too baggy - water pools, causes cold spots which gets condensation on the inside and you are convinced the trousers have leaked. I have a pair of Klim badlands that get damp on the inside when I wear them but having immersed them in water they definitely have no leaks. It’s condensation forming. Or water polling on your saddle and being pushed through the breathable membrane under pressure.

After saying all that the best solution by far is overtrousers, anything vaguely waterproof will do over a pair of trousers that should be waterproof but aren’t. The very best overtrousers I’ve tried are Scott ergo. Just leave them permanently over the top of your normal riding trousers for the winter. Have a look on Motolegends. My son was given a pair when he worked for the mail service in New Zealand. He was completely wowed by them and wore them nearly every day delivering on a postie bike on the rainy west coast. Still waterproof after over 6months. When he finished there he took them with him used them for the rest of his 18months of travels on bikes around NZ, and still uses them in the UK 2 years on. Still waterproof. I bought a pair on this basis and think they are great. Get them a tad on the small side rather than larger than needed - they are stretchy and fit and work better right.

Can anyone please recommend any textile trousers that waterproof and don't leak at the crotch I've never found any that don't leak there.

I reckon its the riding position on a 650 funduro and the way the water pools where your crotch the tank and your seat meet ... eventually and inevitably water is bound to work its way through the crotch seam

I've no objection to wearing waterproof over trousers when I know the weather is or is going to be bad but the damn manufacturers for some reason I'll never understand seem to think we need vents in the crotch area.. which of course also let in water which defeats the whole object of wearing the damn things

Have a look at the Halvarssons Wish pants. Mine have been utterly waterproof and comfortable. Motolegends do a good video review of them.

Have a look at the Halvarssons Wish pants. Mine have been utterly waterproof and comfortable. Motolegends do a good video review of them.
Thank you for this and the review link.
A bit steep for me at the moment. Looks like I'll have to wait.

And there is part of your problem. In my experience, when it comes to waterproof gear you get what you pay for. Waterproofs also need to fit well, specifically for trousers the waist doesn’t want to be low (water gets between jacket and trousers) nor do trousers need to be too tight when sat - stretches seams open which will leak before long; also not too baggy - water pools, causes cold spots which gets condensation on the inside and you are convinced the trousers have leaked. I have a pair of Klim badlands that get damp on the inside when I wear them but having immersed them in water they definitely have no leaks. It’s condensation forming. Or water polling on your saddle and being pushed through the breathable membrane under pressure.

After saying all that the best solution by far is overtrousers, anything vaguely waterproof will do over a pair of trousers that should be waterproof but aren’t. The very best overtrousers I’ve tried are Scott ergo. Just leave them permanently over the top of your normal riding trousers for the winter. Have a look on Motolegends. My son was given a pair when he worked for the mail service in New Zealand. He was completely wowed by them and wore them nearly every day delivering on a postie bike on the rainy west coast. Still waterproof after over 6months. When he finished there he took them with him used them for the rest of his 18months of travels on bikes around NZ, and still uses them in the UK 2 years on. Still waterproof. I bought a pair on this basis and think they are great. Get them a tad on the small side rather than larger than needed - they are stretchy and fit and work better right.

Sage advice... I have never been one for wearing tight gear for the very reason you mention... seam stretch.
I do carry waterproofs but they have vents right where I don't want them. Trust me leggings and socks soaked from the inside is a lot more the condensation. I will though look at the Scott ergo over trousers ....thank you.

Back
Top Bottom