Retarding the engine.

Deleted account 220319001

Reaction score
I'm told :rolleyes: to retard a two stroke engine, you loosen off the back plate and move it then retighten (obviously flywheel removed)

Question, which direction do I move it and how far ??

I assume that is rotating anti clockwise ??

whatever way the engine rotates when it is running!

If it rotates anti clock then you move the plate anti clock to retard and clockwise to advance

Actually you are probably better fitting a base gasket to lower compression a little!

If it rotates anti clock then you move the plate anti clock to retard and clockwise to advance

Actually you are probably better fitting a base gasket to lower compression a little!

Interestingly, someone mentioned fitting a head gasket today.

Spot on. :)

300 two stroke trials engine.

Why ?

To soften it....

If you're next reply is to say, should've got a 250 or 200 save the effort.

Get a S3 head to soften it
Add a flywheel weight
Add an extra base gasket
Change the sprocket gearing

A good mate did it to a 300 Evo Beta, to soften it off and it all worked well, he never touched the ignition timing though
Ultimately he went back to a 250 Evo and he gets better results - 300’s are brutal unless you are riding the Expert or Championship classes

Ask on Trials Central

Get a S3 head to soften it
Add a flywheel weight
Add an extra base gasket
Change the sprocket gearing

A good mate did it to a 300 Beta and it all worked well, he never touched the ignition timing though

Ask on Trials Central
I've got a flywheel weight as I had one on my previous 300 but reading on TC one guy kept saying better to retard the timing.

I may just put the weight on and see how it is.

Others mention the slow throttle but I never felt any difference with either on tbh.

I've got a flywheel weight as I had one on my previous 300 but reading on TC one guy kept saying better to retard the timing.

I may just put the weight on and see how it is.

Others mention the slow throttle but I never felt any difference with either on tbh.

He did all of the above and it did soften it, a lot
Never did the throttle though, I can’t tell the difference
The extra 50cc makes a lot of difference and he’s happier now, buying a new 250 Evo last year
Plenty enough zip

300 two stroke trials engine.

Why ?

To soften it....

If you're next reply is to say, should've got a 250 or 200 save the effort.

You shouldn’t have sold your 250 recently :D

I've still got it ;)

I wouldn't be too hasty, selling

There's a reason that you see loads more 300's for sale (all makes), than 250's
People get seduced by the 300's extra zip and then realise that most ordinary Clubman riders, cannot ride them or make use of the brutal power, as they are
Too Old
Too Fat
Too Unfit
Too Weak
Not sufficiently skilled enough

Fuxake JB, no need to get personal

I didn't mean you, personally.............it's common in Yorkshire

It's only North Wales where they're built like 'racing snakes':D.................but they do ride heavy Pre65 bikes, as a handicap:blast

I didn't mean you, personally.............it's common in Yorkshire

I'm guilty as charged.

Yesterday was only my second trial back after a three year break and first time back on an untamed Sherco and I had more 5's yesterday than I've had in my previous 50+ trials stretching back years. :blast

Back
Top Bottom