Be gentle with me, I'm a Guzzi virgin...!

barak666

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Picked this up on Saturday. This is my first Guzzi in 50 years of riding and purchased after a lot of research to replace my loved GS1150.

She has some big boots to fill.... :D

51576113222_588dd3584d_b.jpg
[/URL]20211009_132521_HDR by Philip Perks, on Flickr[/IMG]

51577839275_4e07e87113_b.jpg
[/URL]20211009_121224_HDR by Philip Perks, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nice one ~ looks great in those colours :thumb2

I'll be interested to see how you think it compares to your old bike once you have a few miles on it.

Andres

Congrats on new bike! I'll be very interested to hear your opinions and experiences as I'm 99% sure I'll replace my 1150GS with a V85tt when the time comes. Wishing you health to enjoy it

The addiction starts with one Guzzi …..

Welcome onboard, lovely machine.

That's a lovely looking bike,very different from my Le Mans many years ago!! Still like the bikes and so hope you get on with it,looking forward to hearing your views :)

Kimbo

Nice one. I have a 2019 model in the best colours: Red and white, although I nearly upgraded to the Centenario earlier this year. I love it, it’s got right under my skin. As a solo ride it’s just about the perfect balance of power and weight imho. Sadly I mostly ride with a pillion and neither of us are slim Jim’s/Janet’s anymore so it’s a bit soggy. But I still love it.

Lots of accessories and farkles on the market now too. I don’t want to think how much extra I’ve spent on the bike.

Enjoy it, I know you will

Loving mine! They really are wonderful to ride. I do like your colours :beerjug:

Bought mine off this forum a few months back, liking it so much I have been tempted to buy a new Red one :):

Attachments

• guzzi.jpg
    guzzi.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 577
Nice bike but have been told they could do with some more power.

Test rode one a couple of months back. Very nice, easy to get on with, but I wasn’t tempted to chop in my GS.

the grass ain’t greener, it’s just a different shade.

Now, when the V100 comes along….

Meanwhile, enjoy your new wheels!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Bit of history about the bike. I am the second owner, the first owner is a lovely guy who during lockdown decided he'd like to start riding a bike again - his last bike was a Honda 185, 35 years ago! He came across an image of the V85TT Centenairio on the net, and thought that's the one for me.

He ordered the bike online and had it delivered to him early July...without even having a test ride! Three months and 300 miles later, he realised it was too much bike for and decided to let it go and find something smaller.

Riding it back home I've added another 200 miles. Early observations are how light and low she compared to the GS. Engine is so unlike my other vtwin (30 year old harley) - feels like it really wants to rev and it way too easy to light up the tacho warning lights because your exceeding the running in limitations.

Handling feels good, quick and positive without being twitchy. Front brakes are very good but the rear feels weak and lacking feel, maybe better pads will help. Clutch and gearbox are fantastic and probably the best I've had. Ergodynamics work very well for me - bars in just the right place and foot controls also.

Hard to judge the power comparison to the GS whilst running in. It wants to rev, and I think that when you can use the gearbox to its full potential then it will be more than quick enough.

Things I didn't like, screen is crap and just directs turbulent air straight at your helmet - easy to fix. Seat, I did 100 miles and was glad to get off it...nowhere near as good as the corbin I had in the GS, again easy to fix. Lastly its too quiet, can't hear the bike over 40mph at all - something that will be changed sometime in the future.

My initial reaction is, this is a fantastic bike that looks gorgeous and is going to be a worthy successor to my 1150.

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. Bit of history about the bike. I am the second owner, the first owner is a lovely guy who during lockdown decided he'd like to start riding a bike again - his last bike was a Honda 185, 35 years ago! He came across an image of the V85TT Centenairio on the net, and thought that's the one for me.

He ordered the bike online and had it delivered to him early July...without even having a test ride! Three months and 300 miles later, he realised it was too much bike for and decided to let it go and find something smaller.

Riding it back home I've added another 200 miles. Early observations are how light and low she compared to the GS. Engine is so unlike my other vtwin (30 year old harley) - feels like it really wants to rev and it way too easy to light up the tacho warning lights because your exceeding the running in limitations.

Handling feels good, quick and positive without being twitchy. Front brakes are very good but the rear feels weak and lacking feel, maybe better pads will help. Clutch and gearbox are fantastic and probably the best I've had. Ergodynamics work very well for me - bars in just the right place and foot controls also.

Hard to judge the power comparison to the GS whilst running in. It wants to rev, and I think that when you can use the gearbox to its full potential then it will be more than quick enough.

Things I didn't like, screen is crap and just directs turbulent air straight at your helmet - easy to fix. Seat, I did 100 miles and was glad to get off it...nowhere near as good as the corbin I had in the GS, again easy to fix. Lastly its too quiet, can't hear the bike over 40mph at all - something that will be changed sometime in the future.

My initial reaction is, this is a fantastic bike that looks gorgeous and is going to be a worthy successor to my 1150.

Rev lights can be configured in a sub-menu somewhere: ignition on, neutral, engine running (I think). Flick mode mode until menu appears, select it and follow the menu options. Dealer may reset it at service. I just have mine coming on at 7.500. Yes it likes to be revved.

Surprised at your comments on the rear brake. If anything mine is too strong, but it is an earlier model so maybe they changed something.

Screen, very personal thing. I don't find mine turbulent but it is noisy. MRA deflector wing thing is a good addition. I bought a package of used V85TT accessories recently that includes a massive Calsci screen. Not fitted it yet and may not like it when I do. If so it'll be up for sale.

Seat, again personal but we both find the high seat we have on mine as about the most comfortable seat on any bike we've had. My last bike - a 1200 GSA - had sergeant a seat we did ens of thousands of miles with. The guzzi is more comfortable than that. But like I said, personal.

Noise, yes stock setup is very quiet, yours possibly even quieter being a Euro5 bike (mine is E4). I have fitted a full Mistral system bought in stages: De-cat Y piece adds a good bit of sound, and loses weight and heat. Various option on silencer but I went for a Carbon Mistral can as I liked the look. A lot of people just keep the standard can as its not that muffled. Then I added the big bore headers. VAST improvement in sound and I am sure a noticeable improvement in low down power, but extra noise can be deceptive. Oh and then there's the V twin boost gizmo fitted with the Y piece (fools the intake temp sensor into a lower temperature so it richens the mix). After all that the bike definitely more tractable, sounds better and pinks less (they all seem to pink when hot and going slow). Fuel consumption dropped from low 60s to high 50s though.

Luggage - I have the standard 3piece MG hard aluminium luggage. It fits well and is well made but a tad small for two of us. The package of accessories I bought included a Bumot pannier set so I'll be giving them a go soon. Which means my panniers and frames will probably be up for sale before long. At this stage I expect to keeping the top box.

If they aren't fitted the standard Guzzi crash bars work well - I know from 55mph slide down the road. They are only about £80 - great value and easy enough to fit. MG heated grips are over £200 and I eventually bit the bullet and got some after farting about trying to make some old Oxford ones fit. The wiring is there waiting for the grips to be fitted and are controlled from the little white button on the left hand bar. The fly by wire throttle does need a bit of recalibration (dealer job) - its ok for normal riding but if you want cruise control the increased radius of the heated grip makes the throttle too sensitive and it knocks of cruise waaaay to easily.

Caponord front mudguard is a direct fit for extra front end protection, decal kits available from some guy on Facebook. Make sure you get the Capo Adventure mudguard.

They are great bikes. I'm on 13,500 miles and it still scrubs up like new and the engine seems to be getting better and better.

Plenty of info at www.thisoldtractor.com The Manual has much more info than the handbook. and explains how to change the rev warning lights, along with a load of other stuff.

I have moved my screen forward a bit and run a Puig screen extension which helps with the turbulence, for me anyway

Enjoy the bike, they are great fun.

Intriguing
Have a MG dealer in town, but never tried one
Maybe worth a good look at one in 2022

Was tempted to go try one......but then saw the new V100 and have decided to wait.

Absolute cracking bikes, enjoyed all 3 of mine. sadly in the end they were just lacking a bit of top end for my needs. (two up)
I will no doubt have another in the future, hopefully with the V100 motor.

Enjoy the bike, but you've done it now. It's unlikely you will ever be without a Guzzi. Off out on my 2 valve 1200 sport today.

Back
Top Bottom