Heated seats

Stepdoug

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Curiosity question.
Pillion seat isn't heating up when it's turned on.
Has the seat got a sensor in it so it will only work when someone is actually sitting on it or should it just heat on its own when turned on.

Dash is showing its on either level one or two. But no heat.
Bikes a21 plate GS .
Have it booked into the dealer this weekend
But thought I would just question on here to possibly save a trip.
Cheers

Why don't you sit on and see if it heats up?

I thought only Fonzy said "sit on it!"

Could be the connector or the heater element I guess, but I thought canbus was supposed to be clever enough to spot this & switch out the errant item.

I guess you could drop the seat off & check the connector, as well as test the heater element for continuity with a meter.

Personally, armed with warranty, I would let the dealer sort it out, unless I had a trip planned in the short term.

What does the handbook say ?

The handbook says to switch the passenger seat on by operating the switch mounted on the seat. The only limitation seems to be for the engine to be running.

I share the opinion of handing the issue over to the dealer.

Seems I could have a faulty seat.
It's off to the dealers in the morning.

I have no experience with the BMW seat. But I do have the TT comfort seat with built in heater pad.

May be not relevant, but after the TT seat is turned on, it takes 10 min before it starts to give a warm feeling. I suspect the heat mat to be buried into the seat padding, and the padding is of the isolating type.

However, I would expect rider and pilon seat to share the same design, so if both seats are switched on simultaneously and you may feel that the rider seat gets warm and pilon seat is not warm, then there is probably something wrong.

I assume this has been assed already, just wanted to mention it.

Well been to the dealers and it seems that the pillion seat h has some type of sensor in it so it will only heat with a bum on the seat.

Well, blow me, post #2?

I am convinced the rider seat has a sensor also if you are out the seat standing on the pegs for any length of time the seat is stone cold when you sit on it then slowly heats up again

I've ordered one with heated seats and I'm curious to know if they're easily removable with the key like the standard ones? There will obviously be an electrical connection and I'm wondering if that's via a plug connector or brass contacts etc.?

Sorry for the thread hijack, I have waited until the OP's issue was resolved.

Well been to the dealers and it seems that the pillion seat h has some type of sensor in it so it will only heat with a bum on the seat.

Hmmm, I think there is some wool pulling there. Putting your arse on the seat and compressing it is the only way you will feel the heat. The heating element will be sandwiched between foam and will not be warm to the touch. It is subtle, not like sitting on a radiator. The heated seats in my car feel normal when I touch them but when my backside is in them, they feel warm. Why would BMW install a sensor that detects someone sitting on the bike? What is the benefit?

Back
Top Bottom