Wished I'd made the change earlier

I think a stand alone sat nav (currently) will always be better than the Connected app navigation. For different reasons. For example. Vibrations, waterproofing, Having to take the phone out of the cradle to take a photo. Constant charging, clarity in bright or direct sunlight, device security........etc etc
I still use the connected app, just not for navigating. The maps are downloaded to give me speed etc on the TFT dash.
I don't miss the function of the selection wheel on the handlebar, as It was very rare I actually used it. The XT touch screen is good, I've never had any issues wearing gloves.
Im looking at the new K1600 , possible purchase one in March, that or the RT ? and Ill use the onboard navigation.

They all have their merits and demerits, that’s for sure.

The 2022 1600 will have the large TFT screen, as does the RT. Both have lost the cubbyhole thing where the Navigator device used to sit. To use the XT (or any standalone GPS device) on either, you’ll need to use a cradle of some sort. Of course that is not impossible to create, just as bods mount all sorts of gubbinry to their bikes, especially Americans.

The 2022 1600 will have the large TFT screen, as does the RT. Both have lost the cubbyhole thing where the Navigator device used to sit. To use the XT (or any standalone GPS device) on either, you’ll need to use a cradle of some sort. Of course that is not impossible to create, just as bods mount all sorts of gubbinry to their bikes, especially Americans.

Yes, Ill use , master and love the on-board Navigation. Its why Im waiting till March to get the K1600 as this has the new TFT dash.

Been running the Garmin XT for the last few months, Fitted in the Original Nav 6 mount. I find it 100 times better, in everyway over the Nav 6. I very rarely used the selection wheel with the Nav, so don't miss that. The Maps in Topo are great, clear and detailed. The message notification panel. I like it. I cant think of any negatives. Great bit of kit.
And half the price of a BMW unit. :thumb

Thank you for sharing this news.

When the alternative GPS cradle BMW mounting bar for my 850 turns up, I might well give an XT and the Italian cradle conversion a go. I also want to try the Connected app, running through the BMW Connected cradle conversion and an iPhone, the latter enabling the use of the whirly wheel thing. I like the whirly wheel, though of course I survived for years without one and I still have use of my fingers to prod at the XT’s screen.

Still very pleased with my XT and definitely worth the change from my old Nav 5.

Helped of course that once I had sold my old Nav 5, 2 bike mounts and a car mount it effectively cost me £20 to swap to the XT including an extra bike mount :)

How confident does the supplied bracket/dock make everyone feel, assuming some others are using it?

How confident does the supplied bracket/dock make everyone feel, assuming some others are using it?

Think it is one of those things where it does not look very substantial but works well in practise.

Certainly fine for my trips to Starbucks but if I was crossing the Geoby desert I may want a different solution or just attach a lanyard to it just in case ;)

Think it is one of those things where it does not look very substantial but works well in practise.

Certainly fine for my trips to Starbucks but if I was crossing the Geoby desert I may want a different solution or just attach a lanyard to it just in case ;)

I was thinking of a lanyard, but no fixing point. Guess it would have to be a stick on jobbie.

I have managed to source a cheap(ish) XT. Now that the emergency services mounting bar for my 850 has turned up, I have ordered the Italian cradle converter, as recommended by Onahi, to go with it.

I bought a new Neotec 2 with Sena SRL comms a month or so ago, had my music through phone and Bluetooth.... did a little experiment last week and loaded a few playlists to my Zumo XT.... don't know if it's just me but sounds better and also much easier control on the XT in Music with winter gloved hands.

I'm going to buy an Micro SD memory card and put a full range of best biker mate songs on it.

You can use voice control with the Sena SRL but you gotta shout at her..... Hello Sena, Hello Sena you deaf bitch, NEXT ffs

The 2021 and 2022 still have the left cubby hole, can't check the size of it as I don't have the bike at the moment, but was assuming its the same size as the old cubby hole, but who knows :)

I meant the cubbyhole hatch thing, where the Navigator sits. Not some cubbyhole(s) where change, packets of sweets and string is kept.

I meant the cubbyhole hatch thing, where the Navigator sits. Not some cubbyhole(s) where change, packets of sweets and string is kept.

Then you need to be clearer what you are talking about. The left hand cubby hole on the RT is built to take the Nav when you take it out of the holder, because on the RT it is not lockable :)

The 2021 and 2022 still have the left cubby hole, can't check the size of it as I don't have the bike at the moment, but was assuming its the same size as the old cubby hole, but who knows :)

Then you need to be clearer what you are talking about. The left hand cubby hole on the RT is built to take the Nav when you take it out of the holder, because on the RT it is not lockable :)

I thought it was fairly clear but I can see now that I maybe wasn’t, hey-ho…

I had assumed (which is dangerous) that the older RT had the same ‘pop-up’ cradle as my 1600, built into the fascia of the cockpit to display the navigation device.

1fccc0413ab7cc598379245c42c42d84.jpg

My mistake that it doesn’t. :beerjug:

Makes a difference the bumper.:thumb
Ride safe

Thats a shite TFT :hide

I am ready to make this change too. The Nav 6 now just does it's own thing, randomly opening different screens when not touched! It is junk.

Am hoping the XT will be a major improvement.

I am ready to make this change too. The Nav 6 now just does it's own thing, randomly opening different screens when not touched! It is junk.

Am hoping the XT will be a major improvement.

You wont regret it.
Buy the 12mm mount adapter, Remove the Nav cradle, it unplugs, and fit the Zumo mount it comes with. plug it in. Looks like a factory fitting. Jobs a goodn

Back
Top Bottom