Wished I'd made the change earlier

Really ?
Oh wow. I'll have to look into that !

Does anyone know if the XT will go onto a 660 mount (with or without an adapter)?
Don’t relish redoing all the wiring…

I have seen a few people modifying older Touratech locking mounts, but retaining the XT mount. I think you will find that the mount is unique to the XT and the new Garmin Tread.

I fitted the Italian adaptor, the XT and replaced the wiring to the power supply after removing the one for the OEM fitting and am absolutely delighted. The XT is absolutely fantastic, has power from the bike, works perfectly with my phone and my Send 50S. What a refreshing change from the utter shite that is the Navigator VI. I recommend anyone to do this. Really massive improvement.

I fitted the Italian adaptor, the XT and replaced the wiring to the power supply after removing the one for the OEM fitting and am absolutely delighted. The XT is absolutely fantastic, has power from the bike, works perfectly with my phone and my Send 50S. What a refreshing change from the utter shite that is the Navigator VI. I recommend anyone to do this. Really massive improvement.

Completely agree with your comments, However, I initially went with the Italian adapter. It was awful. It looks bad, and connection issues slammed the gate shut for me. It just wasn't right. I ended up removing the whole nav prep mount and fitted using the Garmin mount. Looks now like a factory fitting, Clean and powered as it should be through the garmin lead. I also have 50S and phone connected, with TFT. All works perfectly.
One thousand times better than the Nav series.......

Actually my adaptor was from Sweden and it works well. Doesn't look too bad in my view and is powered by the Garmin lead which I plugged into the old Nav 6 power connection inside the frame using a replacement BMW part for the wiring. All good. I will send a couple of pics via Tapatalk in a sec.

Only issues are that I would quite like a rubber surround for the Zumo but there isn't the space in the Nav cradle and secondly, it is a bit of a faff to release the Zumo but it is bearable.

Here's mine without the XT fitted.

Attachments

• 20220416_114811.jpg
    20220416_114811.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 20220416_114806.jpg
    20220416_114806.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 288
e52564c3870abf393e0966fd1410f7d3.jpg

As per above post. I think it looks decent enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zumo xt

Well after having the unit for a while I finally went for a ride with the zumo xt and am very pleased with it,the clarity of the screen and even in sunlight is great .for years I have been using a car nuvi 2595 and although it was fine and has taken me around Europe for years , I decided to bite the bullet and bought a zumo 396 which was stated to be sunlight readable ,the units function’s were fine but the display was very poor and the colours seemed washed out and in the sunlight it was only just about readable.
When I bought the 396 it was Garmin newest unit but after having it a month they released the xt
Typical of my luck ,anyway sold the 396 at half of what I paid for it ,the person was pleased with it and I waited for a while using my 2595 nuvi.now I have bought the xt ,it’s all that the 396 should have been in the first place .so don’t waste your time with the 396 ,pony up the extra and get the xt .

Onahi, after seeing your setup, I decided to bin the Swedish cradle and do the same as you. I’m taking the bike to Normandy on Wednesday so didn’t have the time to order a specific Garmin mount. So instead, I took a reciprocating saw to the BMW satnav cradle and made my own!!!

I agree with you that it is much better and I am not bothered that I cannot lock the XT on to the bike and leave it as the device is so light, I am happy to take it with me.

Some people make a lot of fuss about the fact its not locked. 14 years I used a Garmin street pilot on my 1150 and it was never locked. With one hand I can remove it and put in my pocket.
I also looked at the rear block that holds on the BMW mount. It was so very near fitting perfectly. In fact, a quick touch with the grinder would have made it. But in the end I didn't want to ruin it for the next owner.
Enjoy Normandy. I'm over for this year's celebrations.
"John has a long mustache"

Love my XT

Recently fitted a higher level mount from Gimpogarage onto my Moto Guzzi V85TT. That with the Turatech mount and wired into the ignition switched supply inside the dashboard gives me a great set up.

Attachments

• IMG_8466.jpeg
    IMG_8466.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_8465.jpeg
    IMG_8465.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_8462.jpeg
    IMG_8462.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_8451.jpeg
    IMG_8451.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 242
Some people make a lot of fuss about the fact its not locked. 14 years I used a Garmin street pilot on my 1150 and it was never locked. With one hand I can remove it and put in my pocket….

Snap but I do also keep a pound of butter in the fridge.

Thanks for the links provided.

I ordered a Zumo XT this afternoon for £262.49 from Garmin, just been confirmed as dispatched so I also bought the locking 3DAM adapter from Italy and the bumper with screen protector from the Etsy link, plus a hard storage case on Amazon Prime. Still a lot of change compared to a Nav 6 unit and probably a whole lot less grief to boot.

I was thinking of removing the Nav6 bracket and fitting the Zumo wiring kit but I can't be arsed so went for the adapter method instead.

Sorted :thumb

I was thinking of removing the Nav6 bracket and fitting the Zumo wiring kit but I can't be arsed so went for the adapter method instead.

I initially went down the 3Dam adapter route, But your comment "Cant be arsed to remove the Nav" is exactly why i , after one week of using the 3Dam adapter, removed the complete Nav preparation, Took me six minutes, and fitted the XT mount where it was. Looks factory fitted. Clean, and minimal. The Nav mount and 3Dam adapter just isn't right, not mentioning the frequent power disconnections and the fact its more or less touching your helmet.......

I initially went down the 3Dam adapter route, But your comment "Cant be arsed to remove the Nav" is exactly why i , after one week of using the 3Dam adapter, removed the complete Nav preparation, Took me six minutes, and fitted the XT mount where it was. Looks factory fitted. Clean, and minimal. The Nav mount and 3Dam adapter just isn't right, not mentioning the frequent power disconnections and the fact its more or less touching your helmet.......

Damn, now you tell me! :D I just re-read the thread and found post #48. :blast

I guess I always have that option too if I don’t get on with the adapter. My near vision is so bad in my old age, the closer the better.

Damn, now you tell me! :D

I guess I always have that option too if I don’t get on with the adapter. My near vision is so bad in my old age, the closer the better.

The XT has the clearest, brightest screen of any unit !
Good luck, Let us know how you get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom