Comms In Scandinavia

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been all over Europe, Africa and Asia and never had any issues with phone connections. Ive been told North Scandinavia is a black spot for phones.:nenau
Thinking of buying a Garmin Inreach for a four week trip. Is it necessary.
TYIA
:thumb

I’ve never had a problem getting a good phone signal anywhere in Scandinavia. Buy the toys if you want them but I don’t think you need them.

We were last there in 2017. No problem as far as I can remember. Obvs black spots in remote areas but on the whole when I needed a signal I got one.

Been to some pretty remote parts of Norway. Rarely had a problem with a phone signal (damn sight better coverage than here in fact).
I would just suggest that, if a few of you are travelling, to check that you are on different networks.
And anyway... being out of touch is part of the adventure.

Before buying a sat communicator make sure you are aware of the connection fee and the monthly/annual fee as well - it's not cheap.

Cheers guys:thumb
That's that sorted then. I was looking at the Garmin in reach. Its cheap enough until you need it. But There's three of us , and all on different networks.
Jobs a Good.n :friday

What about the main networks bringing back roaming charges? Is the answer to get a SIM card when you’re over there.

What about the main networks bringing back roaming charges? Is the answer to get a SIM card when you’re over there.

Good point. 3 currently say they have no intentions to return to charging for roaming. And those that have, its still minimal. About £3 a day. Text messages and calls should be cheap. ?

Norway looks covered !

Attachments

• FSC4zUX39MctrdmXcfN1wyu_Mylz2zS876SGukYJSgY.jpg
    FSC4zUX39MctrdmXcfN1wyu_Mylz2zS876SGukYJSgY.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 189
I’m with Vodafone and we all know where they’re from. And yes, roaming charges will be applied. :blast Nice. Hence my question about a local SIM card.

Roaming charges in Norway follows the EU - system. If you get free roaming in EU, then you will get free Roaming in Norway...

Roaming charges in Norway follows the EU - system. If you get free roaming in EU, then you will get free Roaming in Norway...

Thanks for that:thumb

I've been all over Europe, Africa and Asia and never had any issues with phone connections. Ive been told North Scandinavia is a black spot for phones.:nenau
Thinking of buying a Garmin Inreach for a four week trip. Is it necessary.
TYIA
:thumb

Those Scandahooligans communicate by smoke signals…

Back
Top Bottom