Ferry to Corsica

Very rarely rains there, In fact I never see a cloud. Makes me want to go again !
Corsica Sardinia Ferries - Nice - Bastia
Ajaccio - Toulon

2013…we were 6 days on Corsica - it pissed down and I mean biblical scarily heavy rain for 4 of them and the other two weren’t exactly bone dry. We holed up in a little self catering basement flat in Piana worrying about being flooded or running through the streets to a bar. Then we went to Sardinia, same story of epic rain most of the time. The plan was then to go to Sicily but it was raining even worse there so went to mainland Italy instead. Guess what, it rained there too. And in Croatia, and Romania - particularly bad there, and in Hungary etc etc. In fact of a 40 day trip round Europe it rained on 35 of them - the last few days were mostly dry on account of two consecutive very wet 500mile days from Hungary to get to France where it was allegedly dry ((500 miles on XT660Rs is a fucking lot).

On the dryer days Corsica was brilliant - mountains, beaches, smart resorts, fishing harbours etc etc. It’s the whole of the med in one place. In fact reading this thread has rekindled the need to go back and see it properly in better weather.

2013…we were 6 days on Corsica - it pissed down and I mean biblical scarily heavy rain for 4 of them and the other two weren’t exactly bone dry. We holed up in a little self catering basement flat in Piana worrying about being flooded or running through the streets to a bar. Then we went to Sardinia, same story of epic rain most of the time. The plan was then to go to Sicily but it was raining even worse there so went to mainland Italy instead. Guess what, it rained there too. And in Croatia, and Romania - particularly bad there, and in Hungary etc etc. In fact of a 40 day trip round Europe it rained on 35 of them - the last few days were mostly dry on account of two consecutive very wet 500mile days from Hungary to get to France where it was allegedly dry ((500 miles on XT660Rs is a fucking lot).

On the dryer days Corsica was brilliant - mountains, beaches, smart resorts, fishing harbours etc etc. It’s the whole of the med in one place. In fact reading this thread has rekindled the need to go back and see it properly in better weather.
You must have pissed off the gods:D

I got a ferry from Livorno to Bastia, that's the shortest I think apart from coming from Sardinia.
I left from Ajaccio, went to Marseille overnight.
For roads pick any of the ones that cross the island, also try the ones that go up the West coast, some stunning bits of road. And be aware of other traffic, you might get the odd surprise.
No idea where to stay, I was camping.
And buy this.

Attachments

• 20211017_154112.jpg
    20211017_154112.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 258
Nice one Giles :thumb

Attachments

• 3667C635-50DE-49A5-80F6-2FC086085B9B.jpg
    3667C635-50DE-49A5-80F6-2FC086085B9B.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 248
  • 72663F70-AAC1-4687-A5BF-D77BFA3C7272.jpg
    72663F70-AAC1-4687-A5BF-D77BFA3C7272.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 247
  • 96079C43-438D-42D7-8F04-68D651AD64DA.jpg
    96079C43-438D-42D7-8F04-68D651AD64DA.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 1EA038F8-7F72-4022-8408-2F2C874FB875.jpg
    1EA038F8-7F72-4022-8408-2F2C874FB875.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 250
Thanks for all the info guys, that is giving me more than enough pointers to put together a great itinerary and from dropping Google street view man on a random selection of roads they all look fantastic. Only problem now is waiting until next September....

vee5,

If you have a Garmin or some method of looking at a GPX file, you might find these five routes helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c15fm6b6nzt0iet/Corsica - All five routes.gdb.GPX?dl=0

f6ea0abdf8ca09ce91fd7688a6fb4876.jpg

Note: Routes were uploaded inside a folder. They should open straight up in BaseCamp. I have checked that they open straight up in other (third party) software, which they do. Here’s an example using nothing more than Pocket Earth Pro - which uses Open Street Map - on an iPad:

843b9f0d13f4c63386cf4103adcaae12.png

0c56d2ae00c352d5cf69143f388f292a.png

I guess that anyone with an iPad and one of the new XT Garmin devices might be able to send the routes straight across.

That being said, always check any routes you receive from a third party (into which I’d include things like MyRoute and Kurviger) BEFORE you set off from home and ensure that they have installed properly onto your GPS device. It is much easier to sort out problems from the comfort of home, than on the roadside in the baking sun or pouring rain. That of course is also true of routes you create yourself in BaseCamp. Rather like the old woodworking adage: Check, send and check again.

Corsica is a great biking place, but it is also worth stopping two nights at some place just to see the place. This video shows what you can miss so easily. https://youtu.be/OKVm2IJqkCo

We’re in Corsica as I type.
Wife also doesn’t like ferries but we took the night crossing from Toulon to Ajaccio last night, had an early night after a couple of drinks and wouldn’t have known we were on a boat if it wasn’t for the engine noise.

We’re in Corsica as I type.
Wife also doesn’t like ferries but we took the night crossing from Toulon to Ajaccio last night, had an early night after a couple of drinks and wouldn’t have known we were on a boat if it wasn’t for the engine noise.
Thanks Justin. Having sweated the logistics for this trip including some fooling around in France on balcony roads that's the route we are probably going to use so good to hear that it's a good option!

The night crossing with a cabin is great, we did that on the way back allowing us to get back to the Dordogne in the early afternoon after a nights sleep.
On the way down we found an air BnB 5 minutes from the Toulon terminal for the day crossing there.

Vee5.....did you sort your ferry and accom out for this trip?
I'm enjoying starting to plan a visit this September.

Back
Top Bottom