Speedo fluctuating /erratic

Joca

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have noticed this before and it happened yesterday. My speedo drops and fluctuates as I'm riding. I tried to watch it as best as possible while riding and problem seems worse during acceleration.
Bike is 2006 without ABS.

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

It has 40k.
I thought the speed is taken off the rear diff? Does the 1200 have hall sensors?

It has 40k.
I thought the speed is taken off the rear diff? Does the 1200 have hall sensors?

Slightly different in that they give wheel speed signals to the ECU to split between Speedo, Cruise, ABS and Traction

A Hall sensor is just a sensor that picks up a Hall (Magnetic) effect usually from a toothed ring or a gap in a steel ring

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect_sensor

If you do an Oil change you may find your rear sensor is "furred up" with metal particles Thus buggering up the signal

It now seems the final drive sensor is failling. On a ride on sunday it started playing up again and eventually died. Checked sensor and it seemed a bit "furry" but did not feel like significant metal fillings??
Cleaned it up but still nothings showing when turning the wheel.
Dropped the final drive and cant see any metal and drive feels very good.
Trying to find a new sensor to order. Seems there are different plug types.

Incidentally, the rear shaft splines have a touch more play than i'd like, when coupled (front is perfect).
Is there an option to have just that end replaced?
Might need to get that done within a couple of years.

Contact Mikeyboy on this forum and he will be able to refurbish the ends of your shaft drive and your final drive. He is in Melton Mowbray.

It now seems the final drive sensor is failling. On a ride on sunday it started playing up again and eventually died. Checked sensor and it seemed a bit "furry" but did not feel like significant metal fillings??
Cleaned it up but still nothings showing when turning the wheel.
Dropped the final drive and cant see any metal and drive feels very good.
Trying to find a new sensor to order. Seems there are different plug types.

Incidentally, the rear shaft splines have a touch more play than i'd like, when coupled (front is perfect).
Is there an option to have just that end replaced?
Might need to get that done within a couple of years.

Have a look along the wiring back to the loom, it might be damaged along the way?

Yes, wire had a break.
I am making a repair at moment, to make sure that's the only problem.
Then will get a new / used sensor with lead..
They are quite expensive for what it is. Anyone know if there is a compatible one anywhere? I have searched but no joy.
Seems a standard abs sensor.
Thanks to all that helped.

I've just had to replace mine. Not sure why it died (tho I'm keeping, just in case it's actually ok). I too struggled to find a secondhand one down here in Italy so i just had to get me wallet out... All good now though.

What I did discover and may be of some use is that the cable on the adventure is quite a bit too long (unless there's a technical train it seems too long? ). I'd say it's s good 30cm too long so I'm guessing it's just because it's s common part. I'm saying this because it might open up your options or at least encourage you to look at an eBay item for example that's spec'd for a different model.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree that the cable seems a bit long for the rear but I believe it is used on some models on the front brakes too
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay and where did you get it from?
I asked my local BMW dealer, where I bought the bike, and only received the customary automated reply, nothing more.

Thanks. That is not too bad.
Even motorworks seems to have a new one for around £120.
Might contact some other dealerships.

Back
Top Bottom