Le Mans Mk 2 Driveshaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watty100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Asking for a friend who now lives in France who is restoring a Mk2 Le Mans,

The universal joint (pictured) in the driveshaft is very notchy and needs fixing.

I see Gutsibits has them new for £160, but does anyone know if the old one can be refurbished (to save a few £££), and if so, any tips on where to get it done?

Thanks

Attachments

• PA170100.jpg
    PA170100.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 209
  • PA170101.jpg
    PA170101.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 205
  • PA170102.jpg
    PA170102.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 211
  • PA170103.jpg
    PA170103.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 209
If the crosses are damaged it’ll be difficult, but otherwise the needles and cups will be standard.

Good find. Very possible

just buy a new one , rebuilding them properly, is a PITA , to do , don't forget new support bearing too.

I agree, if it was my bike thats what I'd be doing....but its not and my mate is looking to minimise outlay where possible.

I’ll take the bike off his hands and put some dosh in his pocket then.

I agree, if it was my bike thats what I'd be doing....but its not and my mate is looking to minimise outlay where possible.

then your mate is an idiot , he needs to have a rethink .

if he wants to cut corners , expect to get bitten .

is he going to do the electrics too ?

there is no such thing as a cheap Guzzi , but there are a lot of cheap owners. they are not cheap bikes to run , if he cannot afford a new component that lasts 50+K miles , he needs to get something he can afford .

ps don't get upset , show him these comments.

then your mate is an idiot , he needs to have a rethink .

if he wants to cut corners , expect to get bitten .

is he going to do the electrics too ?

there is no such thing as a cheap Guzzi , but there are a lot of cheap owners. they are not cheap bikes to run , if he cannot afford a new component that lasts 50+K miles , he needs to get something he can afford .

ps don't get upset , show him these comments.

His bike, his money, his decision as to which course of action to take.

We've already had a frank discussion after I was over there last week and helped pull it apart. It came apart far too easily for a 40 year old bike, in my opinion the last owner (of 30+ years) had stripped it, decided against whatever it was he had planned, and put it back together to sell it.

Restoring old bikes is a steep learning curve and my mate is fully aware he is right at the base of that curve. We all learn from our own mistakes...........:rob

The UJs are usually loose by the time you take them apart and they have been spinning in the support bearing for a while. They are quite tight and awkward to get together when they are new though :D

So to close the thread with a final update- I took the UJ to Des Shelley Driveshafts in Wolverhampton, who can repair it with new parts but with a price so close to the cost of a new one from Gutsibits its not worth the effort.

Plus they looked at it and found the yokes were badly worn as well, so a no-brainer to buy new.

Many thanks for the hints and tips above, rest assured I shall never waste an opportunity to mention this and few a few other things we found on the strip-down should my mate ever say again "It doesn't need much to put it back on the road".

Like I said, steep learning curve:thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom