Bmw battery charger question

Smartrider

Reaction score
Anybody have instructions for this bmw charger.

It came with a 2012 GS . Seller claims to have been using it & battery is full and holding charge.

When I attach to bike and plug it in all lights light and then go out ( system check i guess)

But then I get a power light and flashing 0 and 3/3 but the 0 light is red. Does not seem correct to me to have a flashing red light so I disconnected.

No instructions and I can find nothing on google

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 8BD45EF1-7B90-4A86-A54E-335CF3EE6639.jpeg
    8BD45EF1-7B90-4A86-A54E-335CF3EE6639.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 402
I had trouble finding instructions myself for my 2008 Gs but here you go and this works for me:

ATTENTION!!!! You must first turn the key on to the bike, then you plug the charger into the accessory socket, then you plug the charger into the wall for power, then you turn the key off.
Failure to do it this way will result in the charger not charging the battery and overheating.

I had trouble finding instructions myself for my 2008 Gs but here you go and this works for me:

ATTENTION!!!! You must first turn the key on to the bike, then you plug the charger into the accessory socket, then you plug the charger into the wall for power, then you turn the key off.
Failure to do it this way will result in the charger not charging the battery and overheating.

As above. Needs to be connected before the canbus shuts down if you are using the din plug to attach it. I have the same one and it's fine doing the above

I have the same, gray, BMW charger and can confirm. This:

On 1200s it has to "sense" the battery via the CANbus.
On 1150s you can just hook it up.

Thank you everyone. Tried all that but with same result. I did not start the bike as i figured if that mattered it would need to be ridden to allow all the systems check.( not able to ride it at the moment).
I will try after riding it when possible, but perhaps the charger is Kaput.

Again thanks for the help.

I do have the next model, the one that will open the AUX port for charging without messing with ignition on/off.
There may differences, but here goes:

Power LED: Lights up when the charger is connected to mains
Error: Lights up if battery voltage is too low to initiate a charge, or the battery is shorted out..
The 0 - 3/3 LEDS : Indicates charging state. When the battery is fully charged the 3/3 lights up.
When it starts to charge a low battery, the 0 LED will light up, and then, as the state of charge is increasing, the LEDS light up in sequence until battery is fully charged.

My charger also has a built in timer that allows the charger to go to sleep' when battery is fully charged, and then after a periode (don't remember for how long, but I seem to remember several days), the charger opens the charge socket again, and checks the battery state of charge, and tops it of if required. Once again goes to sleep etc....

If this model does the same, I have no idea.

In order to check if it works properly, test charge a small battery that is known to be in order. The indications mentioned in OPs post may indicate a faulty charger, but it may as well be a faulty battery...

PS.
This must be an old charger. I bought mine, the next model, 20 years ago...

I have these instructions saved on my computer, don't remember where I fished them:

**Features**

Perfect charging..with the latest IUoU - charging technology in 4 stages:

in stage 1 the battery is charged with maximum charging current until the charge end voltage is reached. In stage 2 the voltage is preserved with falling current to bring the battery to maximum as quickly as possible. In stage 3 the voltage is reduced to the maintenance charge. Reduction of the battery voltage in stage 4 causes a reset - and the cycle starts again from the very beginning.

The charging procedure has been checked by BMW motorbikes and approved for use in BMW motorbike batteries. Measurements have shown that this charging method guarantees a long service life together with minimum water consumption. The battery is always fully charged.

Throughout the whole charging and charge maintenance procedure, the system is constantly queried. If a battery error occurs, the charge procedure is interrupted with an optical LED Error display.

There is a practical wall-mounting bracket on the back of the unit.

**Description of functions**

When the unit is connected to the mains, it proceeds with a self-test and all LED's light up for approx. 2 seconds to indicate that the functions are ready. When a battery is connected up with at least 3.5V residual voltage, the charge starts. The connected battery is tested and the charge status defined; this is shown by the four LED's 0 1/3 2/3 3/3. This is why it can take a few hours for the charge status to be dfined and the battery 3/3 shown even when the battery is fully charged. The battery cannot be overcharged.

**The unit has the following displays**

LED Power- on

The device is connected to the mains

LED 0 - on

The battery is connected up, the device is in the main charging mode.

LED 0 - flashes:

Unit is de-sulphating mode with de-sulphating loops. If de-sulphating succeeds and current flow is enforced through the battery, the main charge mode continues. If de-sulphating fails, the charge is interrupted and "error" appears.

LED 1/3 - on

Device in main charging mode. Charging current has fallen to 1/3 of the initial value.

LED 2/3 - on

Device in main charging mode. Charging current has fallen to 2/3 of the initial value.

LED 3/3 - on

Battery fully charged. Maintenance charging now takes place. The unit can remain connected up. The battery is maintained by so-called "driving simulation cycles".

LED Error - on

Short-circuit at the charging terminals, battery connected to the wrong poles.

LED Error - flashes

Battery error, charge interrupted. The unit haas reconginised a wrong battery, e.g. 6V or 24V battery, battery is sulphated and revival failed or cell short-circuit.

The unit can revivie sulphated batteries. However, this is impossible via the onboard socket outlet in individual cases. Trials have shown that sulphating can be reverted under certain conditions. The unit proceeds with revival loops and tries to enforce a current flow. If the battery cannot be successfully charged via the onboard electrical circuit's socket outlet after several attempts, then the battery should be directly charged on the battery poles. If revival succeeds, it is followed by normal charging. If revival fails, the battery is irrevocably defect. The unit interrupts the charge and indicates this by the flashing LED Error. In stubborn cases, a second attempt to revive the battery may succeed. Disconnect the defect battery briefly and connect it up again. Then proceed again from the beginning. The unit tests the connected battery and switches to the necessary charging mode.

The unit can be connected up to the battery for a longer period of time (several Months) without any problems and always keeps it fully charged. Overcharging and gassing of the battery is prevented.

In spite of the low charge maintenance voltage, under certian circumstances it is possible for the cells of lead acid batteries to lose slight quantities of water. This why the acid level should be checked at regular intervals (approx. 4 weeks). If a defect occurs during charging or charge maintenance, this is detected and charge is interrupted.

I should also have the PDF version of the instruction manual. I'll keep looking.

Typical BMW, to make even Connecting a Battery Charger so bloody complicated....

You can connect any charger to the battery directly, skipping the can-bus.

Thank you everyone.
It seems that it may be in De-Sulphating mode. Although the instructions do not mention if the LED is red or green.

There is not an error light but a flashing red light just seems wrong.

On balance I will stick with the optimate.

My Optimate claims that the battery is in good condition & it certainly has no issues starting the bike.

LED 0 - flashes:

Unit is de-sulphating mode with de-sulphating loops. If de-sulphating succeeds and current flow is enforced through the battery, the main charge mode continues. If de-sulphating fails, the charge is interrupted and "error" appears.

LED 1/3 - on

Device in main charging mode. Charging current has fallen to 1/3 of the initial value.

LED 2/3 - on

Device in main charging mode. Charging current has fallen to 2/3 of the initial value.

LED 3/3 - on

Battery fully charged. Maintenance charging now takes place. The unit can remain connected up. The battery is maintained by so-called "driving simulation cycles".

Typical BMW, to make even Connecting a Battery Charger so bloody complicated....

Actually, as long as you have a CAN-Bus compatible charger (BMW or Optimate) the cycling is not required.

I have been using Optimate and the BMW CAN-Bus type for years, and the chargers are hooked up to a timer that connects 4 hrs. a week.

No issues.

Back
Top Bottom