GSA doesn't start after highway speed 85-90mp/h.Need to wait 15 min...

haring

Reaction score
I have a 2011 BMW r1200 GSA. Almost 40k.

Problem: It doesn't start after highway speed 85-90. I always need to wait 10-15 minutes until it cools down and starts immediately. It only happens if I ride it at high RPM. I have a feeling that it heats up more and somehow it causes the starter to work much harder. I stop at the gas station after riding it hard and the bike has hard time to start or she doesn't start at all.

This problem never occurs when I ride it gently at low RPM.

I have checked battery with load. It seems to be fine. I have replaced the fuel pump and controller recently and this problem had existed before and exists now.

Any ideas???

The info. you give is incomplete. Is it that when hot, the starter is struggling to turn the engine over resulting in no start?

Is that the case or does the engine turn over but not fire up?

Whatever it is, it's strange fault.

:nenau

The engine struggles to turn over when hot. It starts immediately after 10-15 minutes. After that it turns over fast and starts immediately.... If it would be battery, the battery would struggle after 10 minutes later, as well, I think. Vapor lock wouldn't make the engine to struggle to turn over...Is there a way the starter gets weak when hot????

In my experience, all the Twin Cam engines struggle to turn over. Mine always sounded like it wasn't going to start but invariably did.

I suspect the whole system is a bit marginal and if one part of it is below par, then it could lead to a failure to start.

How old / how many miles on the battery? Are the connections good throughout?

It’s your starter motor. Take it apart and clean up the commutator and brushes and check the case magnets aren’t starting to break up.

It’s your starter motor. Take it apart and clean up the commutator and brushes and check the case magnets aren’t starting to break up.

Steptoe's on the money :thumb

+1, same symptoms on a hexhead,

Tried all the little fixes, marginal gains , but no cure

recon starter problems fixed

There you go. Mr Haring. Best £12. you ever spent

Classic starter motor failure brewing as Steppers suggests. Starts when cold, sluggish when hot, no start when v.hot; then it slowly gets worse until the inevitable.

Bikes, cars it matters not, indeed I am currently assisting my neighbour with a Skoda, that has the same symptoms. In this case it's the complete brush box that needs replacing, as we can see 2 opposing brushes are worn to a frazzle, although the other pair are good. But there are clear signs of damage to the commutator from arcing as well as overheated supply wiring from the solenoid which means we may be better off going with a new/recon starter for the sake of reliability.

Hopefully you will be able to catch yours in time.

I'm late to the post, but my money is on Steppers suggestion. It was also my first thought as I read the post. After that, battery. After that, no idea

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Classic starter motor failure brewing as Steppers suggests. Starts when cold, sluggish when hot, no start when v.hot; then it slowly gets worse until the inevitable.

These symptoms are stone-cold classic clues to starter motor problems on the legendary.......................................................Honda CX500/650.
The earth return path inside the starter is via 3 tangs on the brush plate which press against the starter motor body (earth). They only provide 3 areas of point-contact though for the huge amount of current flowing through the motor.
After years of use the tangs become pitted, arced and burnt up which causes high resistance across the two resulting in poor cranking speed - especially apparent when the engine is hot. Feels just like a flat battery.
You can effect a reasonable repair by simply cleaning up all the corroded crud to bright metal and regaining the good electrical contact but there is a cunning mod which bypasses this dodgy earth path and which grounds the negative brush lead directly to earth. The difference this mod makes is significant.

P3230030.jpg

P3230031.jpg

04da5a84fe74056aface1f8d439cb8cf.jpg

Hi
I had exactly the same problems with my 2010 GS 1200
Even though the brushes looked good - it wasn’t until I replaced the whole brush set that the problem was solved.
I’m sure someone on the forum posted the link to the eBay part - that’s how I found it
Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with my 12 10plate,, it turned out to be the small 9amp battery fitted, I fitted a 16amp battery and never had problems since.
The battery is bigger in size but fits without any mods.
I also did the starter bushes but that made no difference.
What size is your battery?.

+1 on the starter motor. EXACTLY the same problem on my 2009 GSA that went to Steptoe who reconditioned the starter…problem solved.

In my experience, all the Twin Cam engines struggle to turn over. Mine always sounded like it wasn't going to start but invariably did.

I suspect the whole system is a bit marginal and if one part of it is below par, then it could lead to a failure to start.

How old / how many miles on the battery? Are the connections good throughout?

33k miles on battery, 40k miles on the bike.

I will do it today!!! I will report back.

I am in the USA. Is there a link of a brand name. I assume this is a Bosch. Any manufacturer number?

I am in the USA. Is there a link of a brand name. I assume this is a Bosch. Any manufacturer number?

Probably, but assume nothing - drop out the SM & check it out. Then you have the correct numbers should you need to order parts.

Back
Top Bottom