Changing front tire size???

haring

Reaction score
I have a 2011 bmw r1200 GS Adventure.

The front bike tire size is 110/80 19.
I would like to use a tire type which isn't manufactured in this size.
My question: What are the negative effect of mounting and running a 100/90 19 in the front? Based on my calculations, there is not a huge difference in size.

I am looking into Metzeler ME 888 or Michelin Commander II for longevity. I am tired of replacing my front tires every 8-10k...

I don't care about small handling changes. I don't think it should impact ABS...I know it would have a small impact on speedometer.

What do you think?

My question: What are the negative effect of mounting and running a 100/90 19 in the front? Based on my calculations, there is not a huge difference in size.

I am looking into Metzeler ME 888 or Michelin Commander II for longevity. I am tired of replacing my front tires every 8-10k...

I don't care about small handling changes. I don't think it should impact ABS...I know it would have a small impact on speedometer.

What do you think?

What makes you think you will get higher mileage out of those?

Changing the front tyre will not, under normal working conditions, have any effect on speedo accuracy as it derives it's data from the rear sensor unless that goes faulty then, the ecu swaps it to the front sensor.

What do you think?

8-10.000 miles is pretty good for a tyre. How many miles do you do a year for it to be so cumbersome. Strange.

8-10.000 miles is pretty good for a tyre. How many miles do you do a year for it to be so cumbersome. Strange.
10,000 miles (16,000kms) on a front tyre..........they must be in a horrible state towards the end of their life.

S20 5G sent this......

I’m going to make the opposite change, from a 100/90 to a 110/80 on my Triumph Tiger 800. The general view on the Tiger forums is that ride and handling will be improved. Can’t imagine it will be by much though.

Stock rear tyre on my TL's is a 190/50 17.
I have run 180/55 on them for 20 years as it makes the bike turn much better. Many other bikes benefit from the same "upgrade" aprillia mille/tuono, triumph 595's etc etc. Nothing wrong with having a different size tyre if it works.
Back in 1999 I had a pair of tyres fitted to my TL , the handling was terrible. After a bit of research and checking the sizes fitted I discovered the dealer had fitted a 120/60 17 on the front instead of a 120/70. It was bloody aweful. Changed back to a 120/70 and all was fine again. You'll only really know once you fit the tyre and ride it.

Back
Top Bottom