Hill Start Control

StewMcGrew

Reaction score
I was in north & west devon tackling some of the lovely back roads there over exmoor.

I think I will be turning off the HSC as I stalled the bike numerous time will setting off on very steep (30% & 40%) junctions due it not disengaging properly. Never noticed there to be a problem before this weekend. Is there a knack to it, or is it just shit on those types of hills?

I was always sce3ptical of hill hold until i got it on the Multi and instantly became a big fan and miss it on the SF

It worked perfectly on the multi but i have seen it cause a few heart stoppers on mates GSs

I particularly liked it for being stopped at Traffic lights on a slight downhill and not having to sit holding a front or rear brake !

Both mine and my GFs bikes have the hill start set to Auto and after a year and 6000 miles, we are used to it. Would not be without it now.

I think it's useful for what you've both said, using around town / "normal" roads, never had an issue with it.

Just these types of hills and it seemed to get confused and let the brake off then reapply it a fraction of a second later. Took me unawares

It took me a while to get used to it on mine, one time resulting in kangaroo hops on Long Mynd which was far from ideal. But with perseverance and more careful clutch control the HSC and me have become friends and I wouldn’t want to be without it now.

I was in north & west devon tackling some of the lovely back roads there over exmoor.

I think I will be turning off the HSC as I stalled the bike numerous time will setting off on very steep (30% & 40%) junctions due it not disengaging properly. Never noticed there to be a problem before this weekend. Is there a knack to it, or is it just shit on those types of hills?

What year is your bike?
On my last GS, a 2018 plate Adventure, the hills start was awful, had to give it loads of revs and slowly release clutch to get it to release so I never used it. On my 2021 plate 1250 adventure it is as smooth as silk when it releases. They have obviously modified the software sometime between the two dates.

I never owned a 1200 with HSC, however, from what I understand, the function was improved on the 1250 as compared to the 1200, as already suggested above.

Even so, when releasing the clutch in a steep hill, a the bike needs a lot more power to take off than what would be the case on a level road, even without the HSC. So needing to add lots of power in a steep hill should hardly come as a surprise. This is not a HSC issue, it's pure physics.

What year is your bike?
On my last GS, a 2018 plate Adventure, the hills start was awful, had to give it loads of revs and slowly release clutch to get it to release so I never used it. On my 2021 plate 1250 adventure it is as smooth as silk when it releases. They have obviously modified the software sometime between the two dates.

It's a Sept 2019 1250

I struggled with the Hillstart on the 1200 but on the 1250 i love it. It disengages instantly now and to date has been faultless

Hold it with rear brake, build up revs, slowly release the clutch until you start to feel the bike wanting to go, let go of the brake.

I am sure that how people for generations used to set off from difficult inclines. Stoping or waiting up or downhill? 1st gear and use kill switch. Use it quite often. Takes seconds to restart.

I Have HHC on my 1290 Adventure and I never use it (permanently switched off in the settings) as it does come on when you do not need it, or takes ages to release.

It was the 1260 Pikes Peak but it has been replaced with the Streetfighter

TA.

I Fancy to test ride the new "shite, not real Ducati" :trippy V4 Multi, hence why I asked. :redlight It might be a dangerously red hot decision :redlight. But I need to find an alternative bike for a comfortable two up touring and with luggage, that would accommodate my wife, who is much shorter than me lanky types. So ADV is a almost certainly to be the type for such machine.

GS or GSA has proven to be Ideal bike, but Ive been there twice now, Must try something different before I am to old. The 1290 SAS is just not as comfy as GS but ATAS is even worse for her on the back. So that rules it out.

Likewise I found the V4S to be an attractive alternative to another BMW. In the end though I declined the V4S for three main reasons. 1)Fuel Consumption together with 2) Small tank size. 3) Luggage options. Otherwise the V4S was a hot contender. If they dumped the supplied luggage which is way to small and put a 30+ liter fuel tank on it the V4S would be in my garage right now. Maybe one day Ducati will see the sense of these options.....;-)

Hold it with rear brake, build up revs, slowly release the clutch until you start to feel the bike wanting to go, let go of the brake.

I am sure that how people for generations used to set off from difficult inclines. Stoping or waiting up or downhill? 1st gear and use kill switch. Use it quite often. Takes seconds to restart.

I Have HHC on my 1290 Adventure and I never use it (permanently switched off in the settings) as it does come on when you do not need it, or takes ages to release.

You could go back to the old ways, but why not go all the way and buy a BSA? ;)

You could go back to the old ways, but why not go all the way and buy a BSA? ;)

I am not into lifting stuff from museums. That’s just not me. Anyway, what is BSA ?

Back brake man myself as taught during my lessons and tested on my riding test. I do use the hill assist on occasion, mainly out of curiosity though. Each time I have used it, it has worked as expected - my bike is a Aug 21 GSA. My Aug 18 GSA was another story!

What year is your bike?

+1 exactly the same experience on the same age bikes

Back
Top Bottom