High quality ADV jacket - Rukka? Other brands?

EUGSer

Reaction score
The time has come to replace some of my gear. I ride my GS predominantly from late Spring to early Autumn, i.e. in temperatures from ~10 to ~35 degrees. I mostly ride on-road, with an occasional off-road detour. I am looking for a premium quality jacket and considering different brands and models. I would like it to combine:
  • best-in-class protection i.e. level 2 elbows, shoulders and back protectors (no level 1)
  • high comfort, durability and not being too heavy
  • weatherproofness
Given the above, my current brand of choice is Rukka, as they seem to tick all of the boxes above (as you would expect reading their 'Defense & Comfort' slogan). However, are there any other top-quality brands I should consider? Klim? Rev'it? Any other?

From Rukka, I pre-selected the Exegal jacket. Does anyone here have it and can share their opinion? It technically doesn't tick absolutely all boxes, as comes in-stock with just a Level 1 back protector, however that can be replaced easily.

Also, is anyone capable of summarizing the key differences between Exegal, Shield-R, Realer, Offlane and Rimo-R models? They all seem very close to me, both functionality- and price-wise (with exception of Offlane & Rimo-R).

Are there any other models, also from other brands, I should consider?

PS. For temperatures >25 degrees I am looking for a separate jacket, e.g. Rukka StretchAir or Rev'it Tornado.

Hi there,
One to consider is BMWs Enduroguard suit (Can be bought separately)

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/wear/ride/enduroguard-suit.html

It is heavy, with NP2 protectors, but I bought it for the protection that gives (yes, I’ve had a high speed off on a forest road, and it did it’s job, with no damage to the jacket)
It’s a laminated jacket, (Schöller not Goretex, but totally waterproof) but it doesn’t come with a removable liner, so on cooler days, you have to layer up.
It has a handy feature for warm weather, where there is a breathable second zipped section at the front, so in hot weather, you can ride with the jacket open, but still secured by the fabric 2nd strip. Saying that, it is a bit uncomfortable in temps of 30c+
They retail at about £1100, but I got mine for £850 when I mentioned to our local dealer that I had popped in to see one before going to look at a Rukka.

Hope that helps
Regards
Dave

Back
Top Bottom