4x4 Camper van to Norway in January…..

When we went very few motor vehicles had studs or chains fitted and they all seemed to do ok on winter tyres but remember that M+S tyres aren’t the same as those marked with the snow crystal and mountain symbol which is what you’ll be needing.

My apologies, I see that the regs are now "A vehicle with a GVW exceeding 3.5 t must be fitted with winter tyres with the symbol of a snowflake and three mountain peaks (3PMSF) on the drive and front steered axles."
Minimum tread is now 5mm over 3.5t.

https://trans.info/en/norway-introduces-new-rules-for-winter-tyres-this-season-204870

Another thing worth buying is a copy of the book Norway’s Arctic Highway by John Douglas. It’s not cheap for a paperback but it’s well worth having even though it’s focussed on the E6 route north rather than being a general touring book.

I still remember my winter taxi ride out of Bergen in a V70 with 6 additional Rallye lights… it was proper dark … and we were scooting alone at around 50mph… when I realised we were driving on hard parked snow……:eek:

Normal for the taxi driver….. and those around us..

I still remember my winter taxi ride out of Bergen in a V70 with 6 additional Rallye lights… it was proper dark … and we were scooting alone at around 50mph… when I realised we were driving on hard parked snow……:eek:

Normal for the taxi driver….. and those around us..

yep never clear snow just pack it down as it gives the studs something to dig into, I drove to the airport to drop wife off in a snow storm with 3/4 inches of packed snow, 50 no problem no worry, she got to heathrow and the place was near standstill due to less than half an inch.
Right kit for the job, every car had a block heater which fitted in where the core plug went, every parking sport had a power socket, stop car in winter plug in to keep oil and engine warm otherwise NO NO NO start in the morning. I finished nights one day and the reading outside was -20, went to work and it was dark, still dark when I came out, went to bed during the day and woke up and it was dark. Only living just north of Oslo but working daylight in winter 10-3.
But crisp, dry cold not wet miserable cold like we have here

My advice…go to Northern Spain in January……..

Cheers Everyone! We're still deciding, and will let you know what we end up doing. The camper has the Hymer Artic pack fitted, So it's underfloow heating including in the garage, heated gas regulators, fresh water tank, grey water tank, 4x4 for driving, so that part we're not too worried about. The couple we bought it from used it as a ski vehicle, it's well set up for that.

I spent 2 weeks in Regina in Canada at about -50, so I've had a taste of that. Brutal, but novel at the same time...

It's more to do with what we would get to see and experience than "would we survive". We've been in a camper down to about 20 below before, and it's not too bad when it's a dry cold.

I'll update again when we decide!

Ed March C90 scoooter looney did it in winter I think.... he videoed it from memory and it might still be on youtube...

Cheers Everyone! We're still deciding, and will let you know what we end up doing. The camper has the Hymer Artic pack fitted, So it's underfloow heating including in the garage, heated gas regulators, fresh water tank, grey water tank, 4x4 for driving, so that part we're not too worried about. The couple we bought it from used it as a ski vehicle, it's well set up for that.

I spent 2 weeks in Regina in Canada at about -50, so I've had a taste of that. Brutal, but novel at the same time...

It's more to do with what we would get to see and experience than "would we survive". We've been in a camper down to about 20 below before, and it's not too bad when it's a dry cold.

I'll update again when we decide!
Have a back up heater with you cos if the main one goes tits up at those temperatures you will get very cold very quickly! :eek:
Have fun! :thumb2

Some roads will be impassable because of weather. Main roads are kept open but any excursions to more remote areas could be blocked.

Winter driving in a camper is indeed doable.

The main roads are kept open all year, while some of the more spectacular passes are closed.
This is the map is updated and the best source for updated information. Unfortunately, it is in Norwegian language only, but this THE source.
https://www.vegvesen.no/trafikk/?lat=64.20937&long=7.82898&zoom=3&lag=Trafikkmeldinger,Vegkamera%20og%20v%C3%A6rstasjoner

As for spiked tires, most people drive with dedicated winter tyres without spikes. And rather than bringing snowchains, thei bring these;
https://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-for-vans/

Actually, the spikes will only do you any good when on a hard icy surface. And in order to keep the spikes from being thrown out the rubber mixture must be harder, offering less friction on anything but hard ice and compacted snow. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

The tricky part buying snow tires in central Europe is that the tires sold on the continent have a different subtance. They are made for mainly salted roads, better on wet black surface, useless on snow and snow covered roads.

One option is change tyres when in Norway.
Depending on how you want to get your Van up here.
If driving through Sweden, I would have changed the tires in south of Sweden, as there may be winter conditions allready in north of Sweden as well.
Taking the ferry, make an appointment when driving off the ferry. Get in touch with the Vianor company.
https://vianor.no/
(Most companies will handle english speaking calls)

Quite a few people use their campers in wintertime, so this should be an experience. Even the North cape is kept open all year.
In the south, the main roads are salted. However, when temp drops to -10, salt no longer works, so driving to colder areas, expect snow on the road. On the other hand, having proper tyres, driving on snow offers fairly good grip, and you will notice that the locals keeps the speed up. If that is outside of your comfort zone, use the mirrors and allow them to pass. Drive at your own pace and enjoy.

If you want to see the 'Nothern Light' this is more common as you proceed further north. I'm not saying you will not see it south of Trondheim, but don't bet on it. On the other hand, if time permits, dress up, bring a aluminum showel and continue northbound. Even if it is dark, it is not black dark as is common elsewhere. The snow will reflect the light, and on a clear night you see quite well. Some people find it rather magic, hence there are lots of tourists that now proceed northbound even in the winter (and the people from Asia think the Aurora Borealis is boosting their fertility).

Winter driving in a camper is indeed doable.

The main roads are kept open all year, while some of the more spectacular passes are closed.
This is the map is updated and the best source for updated information. Unfortunately, it is in Norwegian language only, but this THE source.
https://www.vegvesen.no/trafikk/?lat=64.20937&long=7.82898&zoom=3&lag=Trafikkmeldinger,Vegkamera%20og%20v%C3%A6rstasjoner

As for spiked tires, most people drive with dedicated winter tyres without spikes. And rather than bringing snowchains, thei bring these;
https://www.autosock.co.uk/autosock-for-vans/

Actually, the spikes will only do you any good when on a hard icy surface. And in order to keep the spikes from being thrown out the rubber mixture must be harder, offering less friction on anything but hard ice and compacted snow. But if it makes you feel better, go for it.

The tricky part buying snow tires in central Europe is that the tires sold on the continent have a different subtance. They are made for mainly salted roads, better on wet black surface, useless on snow and snow covered roads.

One option is change tyres when in Norway.
Depending on how you want to get your Van up here.
If driving through Sweden, I would have changed the tires in south of Sweden, as there may be winter conditions allready in north of Sweden as well.
Taking the ferry, make an appointment when driving off the ferry. Get in touch with the Vianor company.
https://vianor.no/
(Most companies will handle english speaking calls)

Quite a few people use their campers in wintertime, so this should be an experience. Even the North cape is kept open all year.
In the south, the main roads are salted. However, when temp drops to -10, salt no longer works, so driving to colder areas, expect snow on the road. On the other hand, having proper tyres, driving on snow offers fairly good grip, and you will notice that the locals keeps the speed up. If that is outside of your comfort zone, use the mirrors and allow them to pass. Drive at your own pace and enjoy.

If you want to see the 'Nothern Light' this is more common as you proceed further north. I'm not saying you will not see it south of Trondheim, but don't bet on it. On the other hand, if time permits, dress up, bring a aluminum showel and continue northbound. Even if it is dark, it is not black dark as is common elsewhere. The snow will reflect the light, and on a clear night you see quite well. Some people find it rather magic, hence there are lots of tourists that now proceed northbound even in the winter (and the people from Asia think the Aurora Borealis is boosting their fertility).

Many Thanks! The trip did'nt happen this year as I ended up with too little time, but it' still in my mind to do it.

Many Thanks! The trip did'nt happen this year as I ended up with too little time, but it' still in my mind to do it.

A winter trip would be part adventure part ordeal I reckon. Better to go in the summer months with this month a good bet.
I have just arrived a couple of hours drive south of the Artic Circle . We are heading to the Lofoten Islands for mid-summer and the midnight sun.
We won't see the Northern Lights but this really is a stunning part of the world and all the passes are open.

Back
Top Bottom