2021 1290 SAR luggage options

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just done my first longer run on the 2021 SAR, with luggage fitted. I've noticed before that with the Givi Trekker 52 fitted (transferred over from my 1190) that got a bit of head shake, but with panniers on as well it's much worse.

I've got the KTM Touratech style pannier frames on, and fitted my Kriega OS 32 soft bags to these. The frames stand out far too far from the bike, making it a really wide load, and the head shake is now really bad.

I've noticed on Mrs Berin's Tiger 900 GT Pro, which uses the same Givi top box, that the mount "floats" - no head shake at all. There doesn't seem to be an option to for this for the 1290.

Apparently the KTM SAS panniers, which also fit the SAR, do "float", so I wonder if that might be the answer. I'd like to get back to narrowing the bike with better fitting boxes somehow, on my old 1190 I had Jesse boxes which were no wider than the bars, but the 1190 frames don't fit the 1290.

Bit of a ramble, but in short - any suggestions for luggage to solve the width and headshake problems?

I've just done my first longer run on the 2021 SAR, with luggage fitted. I've noticed before that with the Givi Trekker 52 fitted (transferred over from my 1190) that got a bit of head shake, but with panniers on as well it's much worse.

I've got the KTM Touratech style pannier frames on, and fitted my Kriega OS 32 soft bags to these. The frames stand out far too far from the bike, making it a really wide load, and the head shake is now really bad.

I've noticed on Mrs Berin's Tiger 900 GT Pro, which uses the same Givi top box, that the mount "floats" - no head shake at all. There doesn't seem to be an option to for this for the 1290.

Apparently the KTM SAS panniers, which also fit the SAR, do "float", so I wonder if that might be the answer. I'd like to get back to narrowing the bike with better fitting boxes somehow, on my old 1190 I had Jesse boxes which were no wider than the bars, but the 1190 frames don't fit the 1290.

Bit of a ramble, but in short - any suggestions for luggage to solve the width and headshake problems?

Have the KTM "Floating" panniers on my SAS along with a Kappa/Givi 52L fixed top box and no problems with stability on a recent 2,000 mile trip to France. :thumb

Those new KTM boxes look much better for space than the 2017-2020 ones, is there much room in the exhaust side, the old one was fucking pointless - and the pair held way less than my Holan boxes yet were still much wider despite the "integrated" design.

Got any pics of your Holan boxes?

Those new KTM boxes look much better for space than the 2017-2020 ones, is there much room in the exhaust side, the old one was fucking pointless - and the pair held way less than my Holan boxes yet were still much wider despite the "integrated" design.

Got any pics of your Holan boxes?

Somewhere, but I have the older model (2018) and I think they are different for 2021 - another thing putting me off an upgrade as I was able to move cases from 1190-1290, but next time it will be another £1200 or so to add luggage, although possibly get @ £500 back flogging old stuff.

Have a look here:

https://holan.pl/en/ktm-1290-sas-20...black_lids/207-type_of_buckle-nomada_standard

Problem I have found with Holan is that they are not the most customer focused company ;)

I tried to order a second set of panniers without rails so I could have a small and large set and could not get them to give me a price, gave up in the end and just kept my larger Givi's and swapped the rails over.

I think they struggle to understand English, and then don't reply if they do not understand the email.

A real shame as they really do a nice compact package.

Thread resurrection!

Premier Bikes did a bit of a fettle on the 1290SAR which improved it, but with the big side cases and fixed top box I do still get a head shake. I'm therefore going to try the KTM plastic style luggage, which will do for daily use, but the KTM top box is 47l vis my Givi 52l, and doesn't fit 2 crash helmets.

I see Givi now do a rack/mount for the 21 models, this one. I don't suppose anyone has a Givi top box fitted with this mount, do they? I'm looking to see if it "floats" like the KTM one, and like the Triumph Givi mounts do.

Back
Top Bottom