Ritz Cinema - Thirsk

fritz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
North Yorkshire - but the map isn't the territory
Anyone that knows of our cinema a quick heads up - tonight's All Creatures Great and Small features the cinema in part.

Bev and I have been involved with the cinema for over 25yrs, it's been entirely volunteer run since '95 - hardly any grants, no local or arts funding of consequence just a hardy band of 50-70 volunteers that allow us to open 7 days a week as a straight forward cinema.

We were closed under COVID until recently so in the summer the production crew had free range to make over the place (and adjacent shops) and give it the late 30s vibe they needed - no plot spoiler. The extent they went to was amazing, changing door locks as yale no good for time and someone had to open up. The fogging machine to recreate the smoking atmosphere upset the fire alarm. The seats we'd just installed had to put back as 'old'. Several days work and several afterwards by them to repaint back to original the shops and parts of cinema...and how long will it be on screen for tonight?

CH 9pm tonight

Attachments

• Interior new and old Smlr.jpg
    Interior new and old Smlr.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 284
bc980807bbcae8c361229bd76a72984c.jpg

Here is the actual scene, from All Creatures series and will be shown tonight

Alf Wight (James Herriot) would have used this Ritz Cinema in real life and times, as he only lived and practiced 5 mins walk away

We went to see the new Bond film at a new micro cinema that’s been built within a garden centre/canal marina complex so it’s great to see these being supported enough to thrive.

We used to have another one like yours in Longridge that had a bar for the intermission - unfortunately it succumbed during the Covid lockdowns and is set to be demolished/replaced with houses.

I knew both Sinclair and Wight personally, and believe me Me Sinclair (Farnon) was more strange in real life than he has been portrayed in this or the previous major series.

I knew both Sinclair and Wight personally, and believe me Me Sinclair (Farnon) was more strange in real life than he has been portrayed in this or the previous major series.

How was Wight?

His daughter was my GP - 30 years ago…but never met the big man sadly

Good episode last night

Aye Bev had one of two quirky experiences with animals with Farnon, quite the character :thumb2

Cinema only had a couple of minutes for all that work so I wonder if perhaps they have 'banked' a further one for the actual declaration of war - but I have no actual knowledge of the storyline, I know there's to be a Christmas special...not sure the declaration of war fits in with that though :D

Lovely genteel innocent bit of TV, normally I'd take against it, but with the connections and the books whats not to love!

I occasionally see Rosie when I'm out running up at the bank, always worth a stop and a chin wag - now...can I get to break patient confidentiality JB :augie;)

Aye Bev had one of two quirky experiences with animals with Farnon, quite the character :thumb2

Cinema only had a couple of minutes for all that work so I wonder if perhaps they have 'banked' a further one for the actual declaration of war - but I have no actual knowledge of the storyline, I know there's to be a Christmas special...not sure the declaration of war fits in with that though :D

Lovely genteel innocent bit of TV, normally I'd take against it, but with the connections and the books whats not to love!

I occasionally see Rosie when I'm out running up at the bank, always worth a stop and a chin wag - now...can I get her to break patient confidentiality JB :augie;)

:D;):p

Yeah, used to work around the corner above lloyds bank in the mid to late 80's - the practice was still there then and I used to see Alf bobbing around town.

and this is the 'none period' look ;)

That Robinson's (is it?) appliances shop window wouldn't have looked out of place in the TV series!

I must admit, I do watch the programme and enjoy it, having been a big fan of the books in my youth....it would make better Sunday evening viewing IMO though, rather than Friday.:nenau

That’s quite interesting. I used to work in Dalton and know that corner well. Regularly had fish and chips in the White Horse on Fridays.

Barry

How was Wight?

His daughter was my GP - 30 years ago…but never met the big man sadly

Good episode last night

An absolute gentleman. Genuinely one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. His Son Jim was also a Vet. I had the sad job of assisting Jim one night to sort through a load of pigs and piglets that had been caught in an Arson barn fire. Those that could be saved, and those we had to shoot. Jim was visibly distressed and emotional, it was a horrible task.

bc980807bbcae8c361229bd76a72984c.jpg

Here is the actual scene, from All Creatures series and will be shown tonight

Alf Wight (James Herriot) would have used this Ritz Cinema in real life and times, as he only lived and practiced 5 mins walk away

Thought you were referring to the original tv series - didn’t realise there was a new series!!
Any good?

This series closed now just a Christmas Special to come.

Excellent watch...perhaps a bit 'right on' with the broad spectrum of folk up t'dale nowadays :augie but highly highly recommended, great easy TV.

Agreed re: why on a Thursday not a Sunday. Fill your boots on catch up....with adverts :p

Andy Robinson would fit in with period never mind his shop as it was before makeover :D

Back
Top Bottom