Creating a “loop” trip

Moosehead84

Reaction score
Bit of background-

I’ve got the 2021 Nav VI. I’ve also got the latest edition of base camp and a copy of Simon Weir’s routes around the U.K. book.

I create a route in Google “mymaps” and then export the route into basecamp.

I can get it all set up and working and then imported into the Nav, no issues.

Yesterday I went out and used the loop route up through Newmarket. It worked flawlessly, right up until I stopped for the obligatory Starbucks in Newmarket. For some reason, when I got on the bike, it wanted to take me back to the start point rather than continue the route I had planned?

Have I done something wrong? Is it easier to create the route in basecamp than import into from Google?

Any tips welcome, I was genuinely chuffed with how easy it was to use though!

Dan

I would definitely do it all in Basecamp, I plan all my routes in Basecamp. That way you can make sure you have the right waypoints or shaping points, and nothing gets lost in translation from Google to Basecamp, which is what may have happened.

what I have found the best thing to do when doing a loop is to split it in two, so you have an out and back. If you are doing a route such as the one you did, and you have a planned halfway/lunch stop, do an out route to the lunch stop and a return route from the lunch stop to home.

Some folks with more knowledge than me on such matters (such as Wapping), will surely be along shortly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

until I stopped for the obligatory Starbucks in Newmarket. For some reason, when I got on the bike, it wanted to take me back to the start point rather than continue the route I had planned?

Did you manually stop the navigation?
If you didn't veer off, when the sat nav turns on it should continue from where it was previously. No need to restart the route or choose a waypoint.

In any case: there is another thread in here that explains how "nearest entry point" works.

Well that’s what I thought but it wanted us to head back to the “start” point.

I’ll have a look for the thread on entry points.

Thank you both!

I played with the Round Trip option last week.

Regretted it.

I had to add many via points to turn the suggested route into something acceptable.

Then a road closure detour left me out on a limb trying to get back on route.

Luckily it was just a day jaunt from home and I could fix things as I went along.

Of course a round trip is going to aim for the starting point as an end point. The clue’s in the name.

As above, I plan real trips on Basecamp and load the GPS.

I’m also happy to plan a shortish route directly on the GPS. Normally with a real paper map to hand.

Boxerboy55, I am not sure that Moosehead84 used the device’s ‘Create me a Round Trip’ option. My reading of the opening post is that he used Google ‘my maps’ to create a circular route (ie with the same start and end point) which he then exported into BaseCamp. I guess he exported it into BaseCamp for no other reason than to then get the route into his Nav VI.

If I am right, I think there is maybe three things going on at once:

1. There is a route, created originally in non-Garmin software. We know that this can sometimes create problems. The third party software used to create the circular route was https://www.google.co.uk/maps/about/mymaps/

2. It’s a fully circular route, so we assume it has no separate start and end points. In other words, the start and end points are identical.

3. Possibly Moosehead84 doesn’t know fully how Nav VI devices work.

The Nav VI is fully capable of running fully circular routes and / or routes that are say, a fully circular figure of eight. So that should not be a problem in itself. Moosehead84, when you stopped in Newmarket:

A. Did you turn your Nav VI device off (or it simply closed down due to no use) or somehow stop the route? In other words, when you prepared to set off again, did you restart the route, whereupon the device offered you the option of taking you to the one start / end point?

B. When you restarted the route, were you some way off it? Let’s say, did you go say further than 10 to 15 yards off the route? What I mean by that is, when you got to Newmarket, did you deviate off the route to get to the coffee shop and then restart some way off it?

Can you share the route with us please, putting it onto a free to use platform, for example Dropbox. That way we can see if we can replicate the problem. That will not involve us going to Newmarket, hopefully.

I am moving the post and thread into the ‘Other software’ section, simply as it starts with a route that was created outside of the Garmin environment. It might not be the deciding factor in the problem but that was the starting point of the OP’s navigational journey if nothing else. Had it only ever been in BaseCamp it could have stayed here or, equally likely (if it is indeed nothing more than operator error) been moved to the Nav VI section. Time will tell.

Hi both,

Thanks for the feedback. The initial route was created using multiple waypoints on Google’s mymap. The start and end were actually around 100 feet apart, just to save an confusion on the nav.
The route was imported into basecamp and then turned into the route, removing the blue flag waypoints and then imported into the nav.
Got to Newmarket and parked on the side of the road/route for coffee then starting back up the nav couldn’t work out where it was or the route which I thought was odd. I knew I had to turn right at the roundabout to carry on but it wanted to U-turn me back the way I came.

If it’s a Google maps import issue, I’ll absolutely take that as the problem. I’m trying to learn basecamp and the many tutorials on line. If I can do the same thing in basecamp and remove maps altogether, I’ll do it.

Dan

Did you physically restart the route in Newmarket? Ie. The device asking where you would like it to take you to?

If you did and assuming the only two fixed via points on your ‘loop’ route (everything else being just shaping points) were:

A. The start point

B. The end point, about 100 feet away from the end point

You should have seen only these two options. Did you see them? Yes or no? If yes, which did you select?

You should have seen the same two options at the very start of the day, too. Did you see them? If you did, which did you select then?

Can you share the route with us please, as seeing it and maybe loading it into a Nav VI might help.

No, turned the bike back on, sat Nav fired up and route was still there.

Correct, the only 2 fixed points were the start and finish. When I started the ride, I had 2 options, my location (home) to the start point and the start point for the route.

I’m at work currently, will work out how to share the route file this evening if that’s ok? Thanks for your help on this.

So the route never stopped running, it just directed you in the ‘wrong’ direction, possibly having made a recalculation. Quite why it apparently redirected you right back to the start point is a mystery.

It is quite possible that when you started the bike, the device was not receiving a very good satellite signal, hence the spinning around. I get the same when I ride to the end of my road in central London, the device having no idea where it is.

If you can share the route, great.

Richard

…..When I started the ride, I had 2 options, my location (home) to the start point and the start point for the route.

Didn’t it say:

My location (home) to the start point.

My location (home) to the end point.

Didn’t it say:

My location (home) to the start point.

My location (home) to the end point.

No, it says where I am to the start point only or where I am onto the route…… I think that’s a Google maps thing.

No, it says where I am to the start point only or where I am onto the route…… I think that’s a Google maps thing.

OK, thank you. I am not necessarily convinced that it’s a Google maps thing. I say this in as much as you only used Google maps to create a .GPX route. The running of the route and the questions on where to head to all come from the device itself.

Is your Nav VI one of the new versions of the device? I understand that the way to tell is if the device displays the message: ‘Make life a ride’. I am asking only because my Nav VI (one of the older models) does not display or offer the ‘Where I am onto the route’ option. I am guessing that this option only comes with the new version of the Nav VI perhaps?

How are you getting on sharing the route with us?

PS Well done for trying your best to master BaseCamp. It really isn’t the monster people make it out to be, I promise.

I think I have solved it.

Today I rode another trip out to the Cotswolds. I purposely created the route in my Google Maps and ported it over, with the start point some 20 miles from my home.

Now, as good as my google maps is, if you want to purposely create a route, it constantly wants to take you on its own route from point a to b, and, although you can drag the route to your specification, it will always try and better it. So, you end up putting in towns as waypoints to get you in the right direction. Today, I had London Conley as the start, Bicester (as a town waypoint) and then Chipping Campden (destination) in my Google maps, which I then ported over, removed the Bicester waypoint so it became one route in basecamp and off I went. All worked well until i got to Bicester. The route on the nav stayed, but the distance to run to destination went from 32 miles to 8345!! Clearly Google maps and basecamp don’t agree with something, I’m not even sure where that mileage came from. The eta to destination also went from arriving some time tomorrow morning to 5 minutes.

I then stopped for a coffee. Back on the bike and the same thing happened. It wanted to take me back to London Colney to start again, unless I pressed a little flag icon on the right of the screen which then cancelled the return route to Colney and put me on the right path (and eta) to my destination.

Long story short, don’t be a dick and use Google maps. Learn basecamp properly and do it all in there.

Thanks Wapping for your help!

Now……. I’m off to watch another basecamp tutorial and plan my next trip!

Dan

Phew. Problem solved. It’s all down to shonky third party software.

Thank you for letting us know and keep up the good work with BaseCamp.

Back
Top Bottom