Ram mount for NAV 5/6

grantmac

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Not sure if this fits in this section but I have a question. Next year will be heading off to Northern Cal again for a tour. Have contacted MotorQuest SFO and they have made a pretty good offer for GS rental. They have the 1250 with TFT but there is no pre mounting bar /cradle for a navigation unit. As we will be setting all our own routes I need to take my NAV 5 with me. The bikes have the standard power socket so all I really need is a cradle I can mount to the handle bars for the duration of the trip but have no clue what I should buy or what I need. If the power works then I can use a USB connector to the NAV 5 unit but it needs to fix to the bars.
Photo below shows that the hire bikes look like.
Anyone ideas?

Attachments

• 1250GS Instrument View.jpg
    1250GS Instrument View.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 51
If you are not too fussed about the whirly wheel thing, a basic cradle will do, anything that suits the Nav V or VI (and the IV) or the Generic Garmin equivalents. Unless you can find the standard OEM power supply (it’s under the beak somewhere, assuming somebody hasn’t chopped it off or buggered it up) I’d go for a simple fused feed off the battery or use the standard power socket….. assuming the socket works on the bike you rent.

I might have a RAM ball mount, onto which the cradle might mount *, kicking around in the garage. Then it’s just a matter of finding a Ram arm and clamp that suits the bike; someone will know which ones, for sure. I may even have a cradle and some RAM arms somewhere. I’ll have a look tomorrow.

PS Looking at your screen, I think you may well have to mount the RAM arm onto the handlebar.

* It might well be for a different cradle, though. We shall see.

Thanks Richard. Yup, I was thinking the same; get something that will fit to the handlebars. I have a power socket with USB which will fit into the power socket next to the screen. A few small cable tidies to tidy away the cables which can easily be cut off when I return the bike. The thing is the ball RAM and a cradle to hold the mount for the NAV 5. I have neither but if someone points me in the right direction I have no problems buying these as I am sure I will use again the the future. I have tried to google it but cant seem to find a complete kit anywhere.

Leave it with me to hunt in the garage tomorrow. In the meantime, someone will no doubt come along.

I’ll copy this thread into the pub, where someone will doubtless know the answer.

You can see the bar clamps in this video and the other ball mounts the bod ended up using.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/scYFS56N8e8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I leave it up to you to decide if you want to play around with the handlebar clamp bolts on a hired bike :augie :D

Back
Top Bottom