850 GSA

I believe you can disable the nagging change up indicator. As you said it’s pretty pointless as it’s not the sort of engine to lug around in 4th to 6th gear at slowish speeds. I found the GSA rather top heavy even without panniers, and was the main reason for selling (apart from not needing a 750GS and 850GSA) but it did feel remarkably similar to a lighter 1200GSA in terms of all day comfort and range. I would consider a lowered model now that a centre stand is available from SW Motech (or for static maintenance a low profile roller platform) - the extra weight of the GSA might help offset the overly-bouncy rear shock on the low 850GS I initially owned; however you do lose the ESA, which is a shame as, although rear-only, it seems to work quite well.
I found both the stock and “comfort” seats rather less than all day comfortable. The Wunderlich seat I replaced it with wasn’t cheap but it’s like night and day - flat, very comfortable, no higher than stock, a cutout in the middle to relieve pressure on one’s privates and bizarrely it seems to be better at locking into place than the OEM seat.

Annoying things:

1. The very good idea of having a USB connection up on the dash board is a good one. The idea of burying it deep into its housing, so you can’t see to line up the male plug, is not so clever. I am going to buy a short male to female lead to make this job easier.

2. The right trouser leg on my Rukka rides up over my boot. The left leg is fine.

3. The touch screen on the new Nav VI is very sensitive. Having it down on the handlebar mount, means it is very easy to catch the screen with a jacket cuff or the top of a tank bag when flapping it open. This changes the screen and can (if you are not conscious of it) alter the bloody settings.

Annoying things:

1. The very good idea of having a USB connection up on the dash board is a good one. The idea of burying it deep into its housing, so you can’t see to line up the male plug, is not so clever. I am going to buy a short male to female lead to make this job easier.

2. The right trouser leg on my Rukka rides up over my boot. The left leg is fine.

3. The touch screen on the new Nav VI is very sensitive. Having it down on the handlebar mount, means it is very easy to catch the screen with a jacket cuff or the top of a tank bag when flapping it open. This changes the screen and can (if you are not conscious of it) alter the bloody settings.

A masonic motorcycle?

Annoying things:

Item 1 has been solved. A short lead, ordered over the internet (Google search for: Male USB to Female USB) whilst I was away in Belgium and sitting on my doormat when I returned, is a vast improvement.

Item 2 has been solved by pulling the Velcro tightener a bit tighter.

Item 3 will be solved by ordering the alternative ‘Emergency services’ (sounds tactical) mount from BMW.

Back
Top Bottom