850 GSA

Wapping

Reaction score
I had a test ride on an 850 GSA today, taking it along as many different types of road as I could find in two and a half hours. The roads included, some motorway, decent dual and single lane A roads, some reasonably busy town work, some B roads and a decent amount of pretty rough (grass up the middle) single track stuff. This is what I found.

It’s comfortable enough, with the standard seat, pegs and bar position. I reckon I could ride it all day. The controls are all standard BMW gear, not so very much different from my 1600.

The TFT screen is bright enough and easy to read. It’s the first bike I have ridden with a modern TFT screen (my HP2 was very basic) I quite like it. As I didn’t ride the bike in the dark, I don’t know if it dims; I guess it does?

It’s quite a high bike, especially when you jack the suspension up. But the seat is quite narrow, so it’s not a huge issue. More about the suspension later.

There’s a handy standard BMW power socket up on the left of the fairing and an equally handy USB socket on the left.

The standard screen is OK. It’s two position (basically up or down) and easy to lift or lower on the move. I am not someone who demands no buffeting, so it would do me as is.

The ESA suspension is easy to adjust, using the toggle switch, the relevant setting(s) appearing on the TFT screen.

The engine (a touch over 90 bhp, I think) has enough go in it, enabling you to whip past cars on B roads without too many difficulties in ‘Road’ mode. The quick shifter (up and down) works fine. I didn’t bother trying it in ‘Rain’ mode.

There were no overly intrusive vibrations from the twin engine that I could detect.

I deliberately rode without ear plugs, just so I could hear what noises went on. There was an odd bit of noise that came up on some roads, a bit like a bod blowing across a tube. Whether it was road noise from the Anakee tyres, I don’t know but I suspect it was. The tyres were in decent condition and at the right pressures. The standard exhaust and cat make an OK noise, with a bit of pop and bang. I don’t see any need to change it.

The small Touratech tank bag from my 1600 will fit shape wise, so there’d be no need to buy another. I guess its larger brother would fit, too.

I think the bike looks OK with the frames for the spam tins fitted. There again, I am not too fussy on this front.

I can’t speak for the lights, as I didn’t ride the bike in the dark. I did though have a look at the indicators, when I stopped in an empty car park. They seem bright enough in daylight.

When in the car park I tried some slow speed manoeuvres and just pushing the bike around, both of which were OK. Similarly, the bike is easy to put onto and take off its centre stand. I should have looked under the seat but I guess there is no room for anything; that doesn’tt bother me. Emergency stops from about 60 mph worked but…..

…. And here we come to the sticky bit. Even making an allowance that I usually ride a heavy 1600 at 320 kg with telelever suspension, the fork dive and apparent ‘softness’ to the brakes is horrible. The brakes you can get used to and are definitely better than they might appear. I do though like a bike that is firm to hard on the suspension, which in standard trim this bike is NOT. The only way I could get it anywhere near ‘right’ was to stick it in ‘Dynamic’ and set the other electronic adjustment to ‘Two up with luggage’. This was much firmer for one up riding, getting rid of some of the very soft fork dive. In my world, a trip to MCT to get it sorted out would be on the cards, for sure. It is the only major criticism I have of the bike.

Overall?

A. Definitely better value than the 1250 GS / GSA. It will do anything that they’ll do and ‘go’ just as well for 95% of the time. Having ridden the WC versions of the bikes, I just don’t like them.

B. All day comfort, definitely.

C. A plenty adequate enough fuel range; most people will be stopping for lunch well before the fuel light comes on.

D. The chain is easy to adjust. I’d probably fit a Scottoiler, simply because I like them.

E. The softness of the suspension, especially the front, would definitely need sorting out. That shouldn’t be too difficult. My F800R had appalling suspension as standard; once sorted out it was a really good bike. For anyone who likes things on the soft side of comfy, it’ll be fine.

A good appraisal Wapping.
Two observations gleaned from ownership of my 2020 r850gs. The space under the seat is sufficient to hold a stop and go puncture plugger kit and six 16g co2 gas cartridges.
The front forks offer no adjustment so playing with the esa settings affects only the rear suspension. Like you I prefer a firm ride which only the dynamic setting provides - road is too under damped and bouncy for my liking.
Yes, the fork dive under braking is atrocious, particularly for me in comparison with my r1250gs. My remedy for this has been to fit Hyperpro progressive springs and 15w fork oil. Much better.
The engine is plenty powerful for zipping about the roads in the Lake District and cruises effortlessly on occasional motorway runs.
The bike is tall and the 21” front wheel makes it vulnerable to side winds. The OEM Anakee tyres are good on dry roads but feel a little lacking in grip on wet roads. They track somewhat over white lines and over-banding but only at urban - sub 30mph speeds.
Alan R

Agreed, the fronts lack any form of adjustment or at least none that I could see. A different spring and / or oil would probably sort it out.

Maybe have a test ride on a Tiger 900 GT for comparison Wapping.... I have the 800 which is very good for my needs right now but the new 900 has the toys and looks good, The GT is the road biased 900. Both the 800 and 900 are c.95hp which is plenty in the real world. My 800 is a better machine than my 800GS Trophy was, triple engine is sweet.

I had one. Didn’t like the weight - felt very top-heavy to me, 21” front wheel and extra suspension travel made for lazy steering and excessive fork dive. I kept my 750 as I don’t do any off-road and it gets over 70mpg/230 miles so I’ve no need of the bigger tank.

I changed my long in the tooth 1200 GSA for a 2020 850 GSA and I'm very pleased with it. Mine was fitted with a BMW Comfort seat which I have to say I personally found excruciating after 90 minutes. Now changed for a Sargent which is much much better.
Although there is a not a massive amount of weight saving I find the bike noticeably easier to manoeuvre at low/walking speed.
Overall very pleased with my purchase and don't miss the 1200.

Off to get used to my new 850 GSA.

Though it is run-in (it’s an ex-demo) I am going to take it around my usual ‘run a bike in over one weekend route’ from London, Essex, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Essex and home. After 250 plus miles we should (hopefully) be at least friends, if not lovers. I won’t be taking the spam tins or the top box, as they’d only be empty and I don’t see much point in carting air about, it’s not as if it’s in short supply. I haven’t got around to working out how the BMW Connected app thing works, so that won’t be joining me, unless I can figure it out over a mug of tea (forgive me, brew) at Walker’s cafe, a third of the way around.

Though it is run-in (it’s an ex-demo) I am going to take it around my usual ‘run a bike in over one weekend route’ from London, Essex, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Essex and home. After 250 plus miles we should (hopefully) be at least friends, if not lovers. I won’t be taking the spam tins or the top box, as they’d only be empty and I don’t see much point in carting air about, it’s not as if it’s in short supply. I haven’t got around to working out how the BMW Connected app thing works, so that won’t be joining me, unless I can figure it out over a mug of tea (forgive me, brew) at Walker’s cafe, a third of the way around.

Enjoy
Middleweights are fun to ride

Post a pic.

Post a pic.

dc7452ddc0199af44e184b27464956ac.jpg

The (not quite) world famous, Walkers, home to the six fingered inhabitants of Suffolk.

I had two of the earlier 800 versions, 2001 & 2015, rode all over Europe and the U.K., fully laden with big metal panniers. Found the OEM seat very uncomfortable, the BMW gel seat, marginally better eventually fitted a used Corbin which was very comfortable.

Head race bearings were replaced under warranty, twice iirc, front tyres needed changing more regularly than the rear.

I only changed when Mrs YMFB started joining me on the big trips.

Great bike, would happily have another.

The still sadly closed New Sun Inn in Kimbolton.

The eagle eyed will maybe spot a top box which I failed to disguise against the black door. There is a reason, which only became clear as I prepared to leave home.

161d9e668e6910072ee45c19915870ad.jpg

Thoughts….

A. A good fun, easy to ride motorcycle, let down a bit by the non-adjustable very soft from forks. You do sort of get used to them and the dive.

B. It will stand up and run very straight if you pull on the front brake in a corner. That does not surprise me at all. For the sake of it, I experimented (reasonably safely) around an open line sight but reasonably sharp bend that I knew, just to see how marked the effect was. In short, it’s very marked. That being said, if it happens to you….. let go of the brake….. don’t look at the kerb / hedge / oncoming lorry / telegraph pole / bird in a very short skirt…. Look as hard as you can at the exit point and as far beyond as possible…. Then, all being well…… wonder at the scrshhhhhh of scraping pegs or stand and the trail of sparks….. the bike will very probably go round all on its own with you as a passenger.

C. The bike is a lot less powerful (and much lighter) than my 1600, no huge bit of news there. It is no rocket ship but it will pick up its skirts, whipping around to 100 mph on the B roads with no great problem. In the real twisties, keep the rev’s up, to give it some real pull. On a chunk of M11 it sat at 80 in 6th at about 4,000 rpm (if I remember correctly) and at just shy of 100 at a fraction over 6,000. It runs out of real pull much north of 7,000 rpm and bangs onto its rev limiter quite easily in 2nd and 3rd.

D. As it’s not hugely powerful, some overtakes need to be more thought about than others. That makes the riding more fun, not less.

E. The quick shifter up and down is quite fun but not essential.

F. The ergonomics are good, though the footplate thing for the centre stand hides beneath the near side pillion peg. The bike is a doddle to put onto its stands and to take it off again.

G. The lights are fine as they are.

H. The TFT screen is vey clear. It’s my first real (all day) experience of one and it’s OK. I quite like it.

I. It got buffeted around in the gusting winds over the flat lands of Suffolk.

J. Being much lighter and with lesser quality suspension than the big 1600 you do pitch about a bit over the bumpier Fenland roads. Never enough to be frightening or horrendous and nothing that a bit of suspension work can’t sort out….. MCT is on the cards.

K. All in all, quite a nice motorcycle and different enough to the 1600 to be interesting. I liked the engine in my F800R, so am reasonably familiar with the earlier twin. I definitely prefer it over the 1200 WC / 1250 WC engines.

PS I had to use the top box as I couldn’t find the Velcro to attach the spare Touratech tank bag harness thing.

Thoughts….

A. A good fun, easy to ride motorcycle, let down a bit by the non-adjustable very soft from forks. You do sort of get used to them and the dive.

B. It will stand up and run very straight if you pull on the front brake in a corner. That does not surprise me at all. For the sake of it, I experimented (reasonably safely) around an open line sight but reasonably sharp bend that I knew, just to see how marked the effect was. In short, it’s very marked. That being said, if it happens to you….. let go of the brake….. don’t look at the kerb / hedge / oncoming lorry / telegraph pole / bird in a very short skirt…. Look as hard as you can at the exit point and as far beyond as possible…. Then, all being well…… wonder at the scrshhhhhh of scraping pegs or stand and the trail of sparks….. the bike will very probably go round all on its own with you as a passenger.

C. The bike is a lot less powerful (and much lighter) than my 1600, no huge bit of news there. It is no rocket ship but it will pick up its skirts, whipping around to 100 mph on the B roads with no great problem. In the real twisties, keep the rev’s up, to give it some real pull. On a chunk of M11 it sat at 80 in 6th at about 4,000 rpm (if I remember correctly) and at just shy of 100 at a fraction over 6,000. It runs out of real pull much north of 7,000 rpm and bangs onto its rev limiter quite easily in 2nd and 3rd.

D. As it’s not hugely powerful, some overtakes need to be more thought about than others. That makes the riding more fun, not less.

E. The quick shifter up and down is quite fun but not essential.

F. The ergonomics are good, though the footplate thing for the centre stand hides beneath the near side pillion peg. The bike is a doddle to put onto its stands and to take it off again.

G. The lights are fine as they are.

H. The TFT screen is vey clear. It’s my first real (all day) experience of one and it’s OK. I quite like it.

I. It got buffeted around in the gusting winds over the flat lands of Suffolk.

J. Being much lighter and with lesser quality suspension than the big 1600 you do pitch about a bit over the bumpier Fenland roads. Never enough to be frightening or horrendous and nothing that a bit of suspension work can’t sort out….. MCT is on the cards.

K. All in all, quite a nice motorcycle and different enough to the 1600 to be interesting. I liked the engine in my F800R, so am reasonably familiar with the earlier twin. I definitely prefer it over the 1200 WC / 1250 WC engines.

PS I had to use the top box as I couldn’t find the Velcro to attach the spare Touratech tank bag harness thing.

fyi. DENZO (Luke) is nearer in Croydon ish, has a full on workshop and tools and is the same price as MCT when I compared. I got a ride in and out fitting included in price (well was for me). He often does repairs on MCT mishaps...

What is annoying is the lockable GPS mount. What a pointless item on a keyless bike. Is the internet awash with tales of stolen GPS units?

I don’t know how tall you are, but your comment about buffeting reminded me I’m 6ft and fitted a BMW touring clear high screen, which fixed it for me.

Back
Top Bottom