K1600 using my number plate

kevm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks, I recently got a parking ticket sent to me along with a nice picture of a black K1600 with full hard BMW luggage parked in a loading bay in Harrogate. It had my number plate from my S1000XR of AP19 CZO.

I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who had maybe 'accidentally' got the wrong plate made up? There is a real 2019 K1600 with the number AP19 CZU if that helps.

Also, I did lose my numberplate a short while ago, fell off or nicked I'm not sure, which seems a bit of a coincidence.

Any information gratefully received and apologies for hijacking the board.

thanks

Kev

First thing to do is to inform the ticket office that the number plate is yours but the motorcycle in the parking ticket isn't. Explain what your motorcycle is and that the 1600 is a different model wearing the wrong number. I would tell DVLA too, smartish before you get speeding tickets and whatever else ....

I was wondering if it was a camera related offence or person issuing a ticket.
If it was a camera, the plate screw may be in the top of the 0 so it read as a U.
Just recently reported was persons receiving a bus lane ticket for their vehicle. The camera had actually picked up lettering on a pedestrians jumper and produced an index and sent out a ticket, all automatic.

Send the ticket issuer a picture of your bike compared to the one getting the ticket. And inform the police too. They can put a marker on the reg and get it pulled. I’d carry your original docs for a while to prove the bike is genuine cos you’ll get pulled a few times too.
I had this happen with one of my old cars a while back.

Losing your number plate may be the issue. It’s not unknown for thieves (bike or car) to put a genuine reg onto a similar nicked bike as even if APNR is run on it it will appear genuine.

‘Losing’ may actually mean it was deliberately targeted to suit a stolen k.

Barry

on the DVA system your number shows as Multi Coloured Which should be a great clue for who ever has issued the ticket as K1600s are normally single colours

UKGSer is great at dreaming possible horror stories, quite often out of nothing.

It is quite possible that the computer has done nothing more than read the ‘real’ 1600’s number plate (AP 19 CZU) as AP 19 CZO (your 1000’s registration) and issued you the ticket. I’d start with that assumption first, before you go charging off assuming someone has copied your plate or picked up your plate when it fell off somewhere and stuck it on another bike.

If in doubt that the computer sometimes misreads (or completely mistakes) the registration numbers, here’s a passingly amusing tale from just a few days ago, where a woman walking in a bus lane, wearing a bit of clothing with a slogan, was misread as a car…..

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/18/surr...th-fine-when-she-walked-in-bus-lane-15439916/

Start with the bods who issued the ticket and work from there.

My number plate was misread on the m50 years ago. Funny one this. The camera didn’t recognise my reg no as having an account. But unbelievably was able to send me a fine for not having one. Phone call got it sorted on the basis that it never happened. JJH

My number plate was misread on the m50 years ago. Funny one this. The camera didn’t recognise my reg no as having an account. But unbelievably was able to send me a fine for not having one. Phone call got it sorted on the basis that it never happened. JJH

That feking M50 toll is a PITA when you rarely go to Dublin and completely forget about it....

Poor digital cameras getting all confused - Imagine you are that camera, looking down from your pole/gantry and seeing this combo, a number plate always a little grubby and a strip of bright clean yellow, which from the cameras view point, is about the depth/width of a number plate and more prominent with maybe a few bits of random electrical tape on it - Which would you try to read and fail to do so?

When you’re dealing with automatic processes, mass volume and revenue generation no one builds into that process individual checks when the digital process fails to read a number plate, it just registers as a fail and as long as the total fails percentage is within tolerance no one goes looking any further.

Yellow top boxes, fuggly yes but there’s a reason to buy them :D

Of course the above could just be Sunday morning bullshite, but is it :nenau

Attachments

• 4089EAD3-1C73-412B-BC83-F31422724C65.jpg
    4089EAD3-1C73-412B-BC83-F31422724C65.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 705
Hi folks, I recently got a parking ticket sent to me along with a nice picture of a black K1600 with full hard BMW luggage parked in a loading bay in Harrogate. It had my number plate from my S1000XR of AP19 CZO.

I was wondering if anyone knew anyone who had maybe 'accidentally' got the wrong plate made up? There is a real 2019 K1600 with the number AP19 CZU if that helps.

Also, I did lose my numberplate a short while ago, fell off or nicked I'm not sure, which seems a bit of a coincidence.

Any information gratefully received and apologies for hijacking the board.

thanks

Kev

its no more than a read error by the camera.

I park regularly in a place with ANPR parking. I punch my details in an it always not recognised. it always reads my O as D. So if I punch in the wrong reg with a D, it ends the photo and the parking time. I have stopped paying for parking now. No tickets.

From the image the OP has posted on the K1600 forum, there is no doubting the reg number ends CZO, but it's clearly not a dealer plate (AP = Lind Norwich?). Indeed it appears to have no makers details or postcode, nor is it legal size, so looks like a mail order show plate from RoI or wherever.

The plate is mounted high, right under the rear lamp unit, which looks strange. It adds some credence to the OP's suggestion that it could have been removed from his S1000XR & had to be mounted that way to align the existing bolt holes with the K16 mudguard.

Otherwise I think most the usual remedies have been explored, but it may be worth talking to Lind to see if they have any contact with the owner of CZU. I have known dealers get plates muddled & numbers/letters reversed, but it usually gets spotted when the V5 arrives.

https://www.k1600forum.com/threads/recognise-this-bike.200243/

This changes the report a bit, as it has the picture of the bike, as attached to the fine.

a66f1fe5f8a902d74d5203d07e092c4c.png

The 1600 clearly the same number plate (digits and letters) as the OP’s 1000 bike. How or why….. :nenau

The eagle eyed, true detectives, will spot the two helmets. Maybe it’s the work of a skullduggerous pillion?

1470d9310c189183abade457891c4dea.jpg

PS Loving reply #2

UKGSer is great at dreaming possible horror stories, quite often out of nothing.

It is quite possible that the computer has done nothing more than read the ‘real’ 1600’s number plate (AP 19 CZU) as AP 19 CZO (your 1000’s registration) and issued you the ticket. I’d start with that assumption first, before you go charging off assuming someone has copied your plate or picked up your plate when it fell off somewhere and stuck it on another bike.

If in doubt that the computer sometimes misreads (or completely mistakes) the registration numbers, here’s a passingly amusing tale from just a few days ago, where a woman walking in a bus lane, wearing a bit of clothing with a slogan, was misread as a car…..

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/18/surr...th-fine-when-she-walked-in-bus-lane-15439916/

Start with the bods who issued the ticket and work from there.

I see someone else has beaten me to it; I was sent a photo of the K1600 with my number on it.

Maybe you shouldn't go charging off making assumptions that it's an ANPR misread?

I see someone else has beaten me to it; I was sent a photo of the K1600 with my number on it.

Maybe you shouldn't go charging off making assumptions that it's an ANPR misread?

It was me that beat you to it, using the post in the UK forum that someone referred to in post #13. I had to use great skills to find it but once found it revealed more of the full story.

Maybe you should have made an effort to explain the problem better in your opening post? All we received was a note that you’d received a ticket for a bike that wasn’t yours but you’d found that a 1600 had a number plate one letter different. How you found that was not revealed. An ANPR misread, as the girl with the clothing with the logo showed, was a real possibility. That possibility only receded when the picture (dug from the 1600 forum site, where I guess you posted it) emerged.

Best wishes whilst you deal with your problem to resolve it with the relevant authorities and, of course, with the fellow in America spotting the bogus plated 1600 passing his door. There are posts (in the pub section) where somebody had a similar problem, along with how he dealt with it. You are not a subscriber, so you won’t be able to see them. However, now that you have discovered the wonder that is UKGSer, stitck around and spend £12 on full site membership; ter all, you won’t be paying the parking ticket.

:beerjug:

It was me that beat you to it, using the post in the UK forum that someone referred to in post #13. I had to use great skills to find it but once found it revealed more of the full story.

Maybe you should have made an effort to explain the problem better in your opening post? All we received was a note that you’d received a ticket for a bike that wasn’t yours but you’d found that a 1600 had a number plate one letter different. How you found that was not revealed. An ANPR misread, as the girl with the clothing with the logo showed, was a real possibility. That possibility only receded when the picture (dug from the 1600 forum site, where I guess you posted it) emerged.

Best wishes whilst you deal with your problem to resolve it with the relevant authorities and, of course, with the fellow in America spotting the bogus plated 1600 passing his door. There are posts (in the pub section) where somebody had a similar problem, along with how he dealt with it. You are not a subscriber, so you won’t be able to see them. However, now that you have discovered the wonder that is UKGSer, stitck around and spend £12 on full site membership; ter all, you won’t be paying the parking ticket.

:beerjug:

Maybe I could have explained better. Anyway, it's now reported to N Yorks police and they have put a marker on the number. It means I might get pulled too but not worried about that. Haven't heard back from the parking people but I'm not expecting any issues especially since I have the all important crime reference number.

Back
Top Bottom