Premature rocker arm wear and cam lobe damage. 2019 F850GS

hommes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all.
I started to pick up a slight sewing machine noise (clickety clack) from the top of end of the engine on my 2019 850GS after around 1k miles and it gradually got louder and more noticeable.
I did some research and found that BMW had released a PUMA notice relating to customer complaints about ticking from top of engine.
The notice requires the dealer to check for premature wear of the rocker arms, and if found, replace all arms and camshafts plus oil and filter change.
I had mine checked recently, at 4k miles, and the hard coating on the rocker arms had indeed started to flake off and the sharp edges had caused damage to the cam shaft lobes. This resulted in new (very expensive) replacement parts being fitted under warranty.
There is more to this, but I am wondering if any 750/850 owners
have had this issue and had replacement parts fitted.
It's not the kind of noise everyone would pick up on and I think lots of people could put it down to general engine noise. I only pick up on it because it wasn't there when new and noticed the different sound.
My dealer and BMW are not very forthcoming with information about this so any help or information would be welcomed.

Dave.

Had the same on my 2018 1200GS. I did tell them about the noise at 6k miles, and they dismissed me :( . At the 12k service (valve clearances) I again told them about a noisy right hand cylinder head. This time they agreed, and changed the cam. I asked to inspect the cam when collecting the bike, and it did have noticeable wear on the lobe. All OK since (so far) but that has tempted me to take additional Warranty for year 4...

See attachment which a mate sent me and I referred to...

Attachments

• camshaft recall notice MC-10165251-9999.pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 199
IIRC the UK launch of the F750/850 range was delayed due to this very problem, so I'm a tad surprised to see your issue emerge at this late stage as I understood all bikes thought to be affected had received appropriate attention .

This site details the EU recalls - there are a couple to check out if you haven't done so already.......... https://moto-recalls.eu/make/bmw/#

Thanks guys.
The issue with the coating on the arms was common to a few different models as they used the same part number rocker arm.
This issue has never had an official recall and is only covered by a BMW notice to dealers which they only investigate further if the customer complains of a ticking noise.

Attachments

• MC-10165251-9999 (1).pdf
    124.1 KB · Views: 88

Back
Top Bottom