Harley V Rod

A tad marmite, but not without merit. Used values appear sound too. Great motor, almost too much top end for a naked cruiser; strange riding position, even more weird for a pillion; wind blast, so needs a screen to be practical; cornering clearance poor, given the bikes potential pace.

You have probably seen the MCN review ........ https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/harley-davidson/v-rod/2009/

They have a following for sure……

I thought the V-Rod was a revelation when it was first released. Amazing looks and a superb engine designed by Porsche. The fact that it was not the sales success it should have been is down to HD's failure to market it and to extend the use of the engine in a new range of models as they did not want to alienate the air-cooled loving traditionalists. A decision that came to bite them in the arse as their market plummeted when they all started dying off or stopped changing their bikes. It looks as if the Pan-Am might have arrived just in time to save them from going bust.

The early 1130cc ones had a very poor tank range. I struggled to get 80 miles on a test ride. Was fast and stable at speed and good fun on A roads. Not too good on narrow back roads with tight turns.
Would have made a good distance bike but spoiled by the small fuel tank.
When they raised the engine capacity to 1250cc I believe they got a bigger fuel tank so I'd assume a greater range.

All from memory...

I was in the USA in 2001, picked up a bike mag' and saw pic's of the V-Rod - I just HAD to have one. I've always been a sucker for a pretty face and that original V-Rod really blew me away.

When I got back to blighty (September 2001) I ordered one from (fuck face) Eddy Wright Harley Davidson in Leeds. I'm an ordinary bloke and had an OK type job. I had three young kids and I blew £14K on a motorbike. I have not spent that much on a motorbike since. I sat back and waited.

The first one that I actually saw was at the Ozzy F1 race in March 2002, I properly just wet myself. It was just stunning, I just loved those solid 'Fat Boy' type wheels.

Without a bit of paper searching I can't be accurate re the date that my bike arrived, but it was on the day that David Beckham scored THAT penalty against Argentina in the 2002 World Cup....the stuff that you remember eh ?? Looking at the thing in my garage, I could not believe that it was mine. What a motorbike.

The positives. It went like the clappers but never sounded like it was trying very hard. A typical modern V-twin type feel, with good acceleration in all gears. NOTHING like my previous Harleys (Sporty and a 1340) but not worse/better, just different. It was very well made and, despite appearances, an absolute doddle to look after.

The negatives. PRICE. Small fuel tank. Regularly burning my hands after dropping the keys (again) down the back of the exhaust system (key in side panel). The alarm system was beyond belief needing the (supplied) thick instruction book.....AND, the biggest negative was, the attention that it attracted.

EVERY time that I parked up, or even stopped at a set of lights, I had to answer numerous questions from people who were as blown away by it's looks as the bloke who had just blown £14K on it. I really really 'got' why they were interested but it seriously got on my tits. I'm a fairly quiet sort of bloke but had just bought a flying Christmas tree. I deserved all that I got.

I got rid and I wish that that I hadn't. It was a VRSC-A, the first year model and (IMHO) non of the following bikes looked anywhere near as good.

I don't want another but I would pay serious money to get that bike back.

I was contacted by a solicitor a few years after I got rid. Apparently it was written off in an RTA. BLX !!

I now own two Van Nicholas push bikes. Those who know anything about push bikes will know why I bought them.

Pretty face ALWAYS = Empty wallet ....:)

I had the Night Rod which I thought was a nice bike.

Took it to France and got lost in some town I can’t remember the name of and a French Street drinker with no teeth said (in broken English) he thought it looked “fantastique”

Sold it six months later.

Recommend. :thumb2 :D

Attachments

• 7C76D05C-636D-4F77-AB37-030554F6B374.jpg
    7C76D05C-636D-4F77-AB37-030554F6B374.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 198
  • 854C0558-ACDD-4724-B2CB-C602DEFED4A1.jpg
    854C0558-ACDD-4724-B2CB-C602DEFED4A1.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 200
Fort nine does an interesting piece - I think it's essentially about Indian versus Harley.

Anyway, at some point he discusses what a departure this bike was for Harley, with its short stroke, dohc etc etc. Interesting and worth finding.

I have one....an 03 model VRSCA. I too was blown away by the looks, and it still does it for me today. It may have a tiny fuel tank (just about 100 miles if you are brave), but also has a great engine, brakes, suspension etc. It does not do corners well, but is no worse than any other Harley (barring Sportster).

I also appreciate that is deemed different, or indeed abhorrent to the usual Harley crowd. I quite like that, in the same vein as refusing to wear any Harley branded kit....and yes, I have also owned a couple of big twins in the past.

All from memory...

I was in the USA in 2001, picked up a bike mag' and saw pic's of the V-Rod - I just HAD to have one. I've always been a sucker for a pretty face and that original V-Rod really blew me away.

When I got back to blighty (September 2001) I ordered one from (fuck face) Eddy Wright Harley Davidson in Leeds. I'm an ordinary bloke and had an OK type job. I had three young kids and I blew £14K on a motorbike. I have not spent that much on a motorbike since. I sat back and waited.

The first one that I actually saw was at the Ozzy F1 race in March 2002, I properly just wet myself. It was just stunning, I just loved those solid 'Fat Boy' type wheels.

I now own two Van Nicholas push bikes. Those who know anything about push bikes will know why I bought them.

Pretty face ALWAYS = Empty wallet ....:)

A lad I was cycling with yesterday has two Van Nicolas Ti bikes , both Rholoff belt drive hubs. I asked him why he has two, his reply I bought one and I liked it so much I bought another! Can’t argue with that.

A lad I was cycling with yesterday has two Van Nicolas Ti bikes , both Rholoff belt drive hubs. I asked him why he has two, his reply I bought one and I liked it so much I bought another! Can’t argue with that.

That lad has good taste. One of mine is Rohloff the other is 3 X 10.

I will have a third VN if I can find a nice Skeiron...:cool:

Back
Top Bottom