2022 K1600

5bf6f4f659a3712d3abca16bc9d74348.png

e4f5488a6eb78087633e8a918932a2ea.png

MCN obviously so desperate to be the first to get something out from the press launch actually forgot to write much about the bike other than its spec....

I saw the bike at the London motorcycle show yesterday.

The big TFT screen looks OK.

The bike in the optional (it’s not cheap) pearlescent white looks OK. Except that in white, the dashboard looks like a plastic bathroom in a cheap hotel. Arsey won’t know what that looks like, of course.

They have changed the shape of the two ‘locker’ things on the fairing lower portions. No big deal.

I hear reports that the first batch of 2022 K1600s for the UK have been delayed until April - detail scant at present.

Could it be Chips/Brexit/Production problems? ....... Anyone know more?

I hear reports that the first batch of 2022 K1600s for the UK have been delayed until April - detail scant at present.

Could it be Chips/Brexit/Production problems? ....... Anyone know more?

Got an invite from my dealer to the launch BBQ in 2 weeks time, going to be a damp launch without the bikes

Got an invite from my dealer to the launch BBQ in 2 weeks time, going to be a damp launch without the bikes

Looking outside now, it will probably be damp whatever.

Some UK dealers have been calling customers apparently, saying that production has been delayed, so no UK deliveries are expected until April. It seems that this includes the dealer demo bikes due for the early March launch.

As you have an invite, perhaps you can keep us posted.

I heard from Park Lane (which is owned by BMW, as opposed to being a franchise) a couple of weeks ago, that delivery of my bike (originally estimated for March) had slid back to April. I didn’t bother to enquire as to why. I wasn’t planning to go anywhere significant in March, so the delay doesn’t bother me.

It then slid to mid-April, then mid-May and is now the end of May. It had apparently set-off to the UK but then got held-up and maybe returned from whence it came. Patience is a virtue and virtue is a grace.

I was though talking to the sales fellow at Park Lane, who went to the BMW 1600 staff launch in Malaga. Despite it peeing down with rain and being cold, he had a good time. Which is nice.

It then slid to mid-April, then mid-May and is now the end of May. It had apparently set-off to the UK but then got held-up and maybe returned from whence it came. Patience is a virtue and virtue is a grace.

I was though talking to the sales fellow at Park Lane, who went to the BMW 1600 staff launch in Malaga. Despite it peeing down with rain and being cold, he had a good time. Which is nice.

I wonder if there was donuts or even churros ?

fingers crossed there wont be any more delays . where's the maiden voyage to ?

I was planning to run it in over two days by going to France. I’ve put that plan on hold. Instead it will be over two days in the UK, using my tried and tested route: London > Essex > Suffolk > Cambridgeshire > Essex > London.

I am sure beer was involved and wine.

I am planning to pick up my 1600 GT next weekend.

To me, the most interesting thing is the big TFT screen. Having never owned a TFT screen bike prior to my 850 GSA, I have really got to like BMW’s Connected app. It certainly looked good when I saw it lit up at the London show in February and I enjoyed it on the day long test ride I had on the RT. You can see it running in this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u-2yX6GkfaM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don’t usually watch many vlog videos on any bikes , not least as the verbal blurb is often pretty dull but seeing the screen in these was worth it.

I am planning to pick up my 1600 GT next weekend.

To me, the most interesting thing is the big TFT screen. Having never owned a TFT screen bike prior to my 850 GSA, I have really got to like BMW’s Connected app. It certainly looked good when I saw it lit up at the London show in February and I enjoyed it on the day long test ride I had on the RT. You can see it running in this video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u-2yX6GkfaM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don’t usually watch many vlog videos on any bikes , not least as the verbal blurb is often pretty dull but seeing the screen in these was worth it.

Firstly, I really like that blue colour.
Watched it all and think BMW may have a winner, provided the quality is OK.
I’m quite surprised at the prices as at first glance it appears that there isn’t much difference in price compared to the RT. Obviously, the RT is now going to drop in price :D
One omission that needs sorting is that BMW needs something like a DCT gearbox to really compete with Goldwing.
I know I said I’d never go back to Beemers but if the quality is good, I’d definitely have to try one.
SH made a couple of references to the weight of the bike, but it’s not bad for a bike of that size.

Oh, and something caught my eye….the wheels. I’m not fussy on wheels (as long as it’s got some ) but they look very nice.
As the Goldwing is now well above 32k the K1600 looks like good value and may well take sales off the Wing.

The bike is almost an automatic at the moment as it can, if you really must, go from about 30 mph in 6th, all the way to 150 mph or faster.

I agree though, the engine would suit a DCT. I guess though that BMW are conscious of the extra weight it would bring.

The bike is almost an automatic at the moment as it can, if you really must, go from about 30 mph in 6th, all the way to 150 mph or faster.

I agree though, the engine would suit a DCT. I guess though that BMW are conscious of the extra weight it would bring.

It’s funny though. When I was talked into a test ride on a bike with DCT I assumed it was just a gimmick. However, after testing it for a day ( about 165 miles) I was convinced. It’s the way forward with bike gears as it so easy.

Back
Top Bottom