2022 K1600

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
acb712841a190d7867f8f5ff316fb8dd.jpg

66d0b5ae7bb7c5849ea840f25a2ef640.jpg

0a10652a5a4257eb1469c3839cdef530.jpg

313b6f4492441bbe03ae102848858644.jpg

“All the models also get a new electronic suspension system, the BMW Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment). It’s a ‘next generation’ system that improves safety, performance and comfort, according to the Germans. Can’t really argue with that.

You get LED lights, a massive 10.25 inch TFT dash and a new stereo on the GTL and Grand America. The Audio System 2.0 on the GTL and Grand America (you can also have it as an extra on the GT and B) provides an even more intensive sound experience.

All three models are available in three colour options, including the Option 719 ‘Midnight’ getup, which is presumably to make you a little bit more difficult to see, should you decide to go for a ride at night time.

As I’m sure you’ll agree, there are a smorgasbord of reasons to buy yourself a 2022 K 1600. The problem, as I mentioned earlier, is the price. Not one of the K 1600 models is the right side of £20k. They go from the cheapest, which is the Bagger at £20,215 to the dearest, the Grand America at £24,410.

So if you are thinking of a way to spend that tax free pension lump sum you’re about to withdraw, or you’ve got cash left over after downsizing into a retirement property, why not get yourself down to a BMW retailer, and try a K 1600 out for size.”

Very nice. I best not let Jayne see this.

So a warm-over rather than anything revolutionary - it's lovely riding a 6, once on the move, but the old girl really needed to go on a diet & have the marginal cooling sorted IMHO.

No surprise then that the RT will continue to be the more attractive proposition for many.

Doc,
Seeing as you’ve had both , is the K16 riding position cramped like the RT ?
I know you’re a low level hazard but even so…..
Meanwhile , I bet Richard of Wapping will be eying up that HUGE TFT with great excitement:)

So a warm-over rather than anything revolutionary - it's lovely riding a 6, once on the move, but the old girl really needed to go on a diet & have the marginal cooling sorted IMHO.

No surprise then that the RT will continue to be the more attractive proposition for many.

Assuming you have stumpy legs….

Doc,
Meanwhile , I bet Richard of Wapping will be eying up that HUGE TFT with great excitement:)

I would have said for me they both feel the same. Not cramped at all on either but I'm only 5'8
Have you not had a ride on either ?

I would have said for me they both feel the same. Not cramped at all on either but I'm only 5'8
Have you not had a ride on either ?

I rode a K16 years back and owned a 2005 RT12 for a while . Didn’t find it cramped so BMW must have fucked with it more recently .

I rode a K16 years back and owned a 2005 RT12 for a while . Didn’t find it cramped so BMW must have fucked with it more recently .

I will say the RT felt like a toy compared to the K.

Well. I must admit I haven’t been keeping abreast of developments with BMW since I got the Goldwing.

Doc,
I

I've just traded my R1200RT for 2020 K1600GT (my 4th K16 now) as I just couldn't get comfortable on the RT for long trips. The K16 feels less cramped for me at 1.88m.

I fancied something with less weight but whilst the RT was nimbler it just didn't have the same calm presence for cross continental rides.

I have a 1250RT, had a K1600 GTL for 6 weeks, very nice, but far too heavy for me. Took me back to my Harley Road King days. The GTL was well framed as well and I'm 5ft 8. The GT for me felt the same as my RT. I liked it a lot, but like my RT more.

Thought they would have showcased some tech on this update. Adaptive cruise / cameras front and rear/ blind spot indication/ backlit controls (not sure if it has this) and perhaps Apple/ Android play.
Still a great looking bike and the bagger would be my choice if I was looking for one.

Doc,

….

If the bike has lost its ability to use the Nav V or VI, I have no interest in the TFT screen version. The changes over my 2017 version do not seem that life changing, as an automatic version might have been interesting.

Do I at six foot find the bike cramped? No, not at all. When leading the Wanders, I used to see riders on the GS / GSA’s all stretching or dangling their legs. I am far from convinced that they are the all-day-comfortable bikes that bods make the big GS bikes out to be. There again, I toured quite happily on an HP4, so maybe I am not the best judge.

What is amusing about the launch of the new version of the 1600, is that it bursts the bubble of bods on this site who said that there wouldn’t be a ‘new’ 1600. I guess their special knowledge isn’t really that special after all.

What is amusing about the launch of the new version of the 1600, is that it bursts the bubble of bods on this site who said that there wouldn’t be a ‘new’ 1600. I guess their special knowledge isn’t really that special after all.

What? Are we looking at the same bike? - the 2022 is hardly 'new', it's a warm-over - TFT & Euro5.

The question many raised was whether the BMW would spend the time & money, given their focus on the R18 derivates, as it was said Ricardo thought VVT would be needed to achieve Euro5 reliably over the lifetime of the engine. Seems the mothership have found a way - good news for now, get the 6 fix while we can, but it's still a big heavy old bus whose days must be numbered as we march towards 2030.

For ‘new’ read updated.

It was predicted on these pages to be dropped entirely, as BMW do not sell that many, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom