2009 EXC 400....silly problem, need advice

Bounce

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So....bike starts nicely on the choke; let it run for a couple of mins, push the choke in and it conks out and won't start (unless I open the choke again).

> Fresh fuel in the tank
> Fuel tap is on
> Battery appears to be fully charged

I haven't ridden it for ages, but the battery has been on charge & the charger indicates it's good (umm...could the battery actually be a bit goosed?)

As it hasn't been ridden for ages, so should I start it on the choke and let it run as such for longer, say 5-6 minutes?

Any advice appreciated.....:confused:

I think you will have a Keihin MX-FCR 3900D carb - Sounds like a blocked jet/passage, probably due to stale fuel/lacquer.

I think you will have a Keihin MX-FCR 3900D carb - Sounds like a blocked jet/passage, probably due to stale fuel/lacquer.

I'd go with the carb.

Miss my 400, best EXC I've ever had.

I'll get the carb cleaned out, empty the float chamber etc and see if that works.

I don’t know the bike but a trick I sometimes use for engines that haven’t been started for a while is if they will start just leave running for about 20 minutes or so. Usually that sorts out the lawnmowers ect. JJH

+1, if it was the tap or filter it wouldn't run on the choke. Sounds like the choke is providing fuel whereas the normal route is not.

Daft question....would a heavy dose of fuel system cleaner provide the ultimate 'flush' through? :eek:

Jets need a clean, stale fuel gummed them up. I'd suggest pilot more than main, as the choke bypasses it. Fuel flush may cure it, but taking it apart and blowing through with carb/brake cleaner certainly will.
Mark

See if you can get all the jets / floats and needles out,

and ask your local indy garage or engineering place, if they can assist with the use of an ultrasonic cleaner & airline for an hour or so

that should free any residual shit out

So....bike starts nicely on the choke; let it run for a couple of mins, push the choke in and it conks out and won't start (unless I open the choke again).

> Fresh fuel in the tank
> Fuel tap is on
> Battery appears to be fully charged

I haven't ridden it for ages, but the battery has been on charge & the charger indicates it's good (umm...could the battery actually be a bit goosed?)

As it hasn't been ridden for ages, so should I start it on the choke and let it run as such for longer, say 5-6 minutes?

Any advice appreciated.....:confused:

I had the same problem with my WR250, caused by the fuel.

I added Sea Foam (https://seafoamworks.com/product/sea-foam-motor-treatment-oil-fuel-additive/) and it did the trick. Get it from Amazon, I think, about a tenner. Worth a try before stripping everything down, maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok
Point taken
I always drain my carb bikes, after usage
This new fuel is rubbish at gumming up stuff

Well 20 years ago when I had XRs they wouldn't start unless you filled the carb with fresh fuel.

Back
Top Bottom