New fuel filter, and…….

fox889

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New fuel filter installed inside the tank, new clips, everything back in ok, gauge works fine.
Starts up fine (haven’t ridden her yet) after a second or two, there’s a distinct “whirring” sound from the tank. If I put my ear to the side of the tank where the pump is, I can hear it fairly clearly. She didn’t make this noise before, so, is it normal? Is it because a new filter has been fitted? Is the new filter too close to the pump (can’t think it is)?
Each time she starts up, the pump is quiet & then one or two seconds later the “whirring” starts. It’s not deafening, it’s “just there”.
I’m quite happy to carry on regardless, but would prefer the thoughts & comments from those who know more than me.

Appreciate your time.

ps having read several threads on this, low fuel come up a few times. I initially put 3/4 gal in just to fire her up (showed 3 bars on the gauge). I’ve now put another gallon in & it seems a little quieter, I can still hear it…….but did I hear it before?

Last edited:
Have you orientated the pump plate correctly when you reassembled.

There is a flat on the edge of plate which should be facing forward, so that the pump inlet faces down inside the tank.

Sounds like inadequate fuel pressure, but why the delay at key-on? Could it be the relay.

Have you tried a return line pressure test.

Take no notice of the doom and gloom posted… how much fuel in your tank ? If it’s fairly low you’ll get more noise and vibrations. Also you’ve disturbed everything inside, it could be an internal hose touching the tank or other part inside.

Ian J H: yep, painted two dots so I wouldn't get it wrong.
Squibb: No delay, pump primes the minute the key is turned, then goes quiet. After she starts you can hear the pump.
Steptoe: I've been reading various threads on low fuel, I only put 3/4 gallon in just to fire her up....could be the problem. I've put a further gallon in & she seems quieter, question is....was there ever a whirring sound before?

Really appreciate your thoughts.

I replaced my fuel filter a few years ago now and on replacement noticed that the pump was now noisy and it has been like that since, I put it down to something vibration or touching something. At least I will know when it packs up.

Perhaps it was noisy in the first place, these engines are no Singer sewing machines so perhaps it was always there.....I dunno.
The only thing I changed was the filter itself & the hose clips from 'nip/clamp' style to proper fuel clips [nut'n'bolt] so whether one of those has touched the tank inner, perhaps?
Perhaps I'm over worrying.

Back
Top Bottom