LOOKS RATHER NICE :thumb2

Attachments

• 412CE443-4F75-4890-B6AB-4AA633A41CA3.jpg
    412CE443-4F75-4890-B6AB-4AA633A41CA3.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,145
  • 31B404C6-A479-4BEB-9EB7-2575906CA768.jpg
    31B404C6-A479-4BEB-9EB7-2575906CA768.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 1,098
It doesn’t seem to look too different to the concept version. Seems basically to be a nicer looking 890 Adventure, which can only be a good thing as the one thing stopping me from thinking about one as my next bike was the looks :thumb

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh....then to deliberate, muse, compare and question :D I’m always amazed at those who can buy from a picture.

Manufacturers still don't get it do they :blast people want a 150kg, 700 cc Adventure bike, that's all. Not another 200kg Adventure bike. People are buying 690/701's and converting them into ADV bikes.
Or is that just me.

Manufacturers still don't get it do they :blast people want a 150kg, 700 cc Adventure bike, that's all. Not another 200kg Adventure bike. People are buying 690/701's and converting them into ADV bikes.
Or is that just me.

My guess would be that the engineers would love to make a lighter ADV bike, but the bean counters won’t let them. That and most of the buyers don’t go offroad so the manufacturers don’t see the point of trying.

Or is that just me.

Agreed.
The Norden weighs 204 kgs dry so about 219 kgs with 19 litres of fuel onboard.
My 701LR weighs 182kgs wet and that’s with 25 litres of fuel.
The only thing my 701 doesn’t do well is carry a pillion but I don’t think the Norden will be much better at that, looking at the seat.

Or is that just me.

Not sure how they can do that. A fuelled 701 weighs more than that before you start adding *Adventure* kit.

Manufacturers would have to lose water cooling and all the emissions bollocks for a start. Never going to happen.

I don't think the great bike buying masses would want a bike that behaves like the 701 anyway. They want a nice looking 890, and I think the 901 looks great.

Or is that just me.

Manufacturers make what people will buy, or they would be out of business. The top-selling large bike in the UK weighs 254Kg (officially, probably 270Kg in reality). Selling bikes, like cars, is divided into market segments (naked, sports, adventure etc.) How many people are actually buying 690/701s and converting them to ADV bikes? The reality is that what sells is a bike that looks rufty tufty but is actually a comfortable road bike.

I’m totally with you that it’s just image - 21” front wheel and 215mm of fairly soft suspension travel isn’t great for the road, and a 220Kg, probably £13K premium adventure tourer isn’t going to be much use off road to all except experienced riders (with 2 or 3 extra pairs of hands to get the bike upright).

Nevertheless, from a design perspective it looks a lot nicer to me than many of the fugly ADV bikes out there, the 890 Adventure being the worst of the current crop - but it’s engine is a corker. Whether or not the Norden is any good is another matter…

Manufacturers make what people will buy, or they would be out of business. The top-selling large bike in the UK weighs 254Kg (officially, probably 270Kg in reality). Selling bikes, like cars, is divided into market segments (naked, sports, adventure etc.) How many people are actually buying 690/701s and converting them to ADV bikes? The reality is that what sells is a bike that looks rufty tufty but is actually a comfortable road bike.

I’m totally with you that it’s just image - 21” front wheel and 215mm of fairly soft suspension travel isn’t great for the road, and a 220Kg, probably £13K premium adventure tourer isn’t going to be much use off road to all except experienced riders (with 2 or 3 extra pairs of hands to get the bike upright).

Nevertheless, from a design perspective it looks a lot nicer to me than many of the fugly ADV bikes out there, the 890 Adventure being the worst of the current crop - but it’s engine is a corker. Whether or not the Norden is any good is another matter…

I must disagree somewhat.
I’ve had a 21/18 wheeled bike in my garage since 2004 when I got my first, a KTM 950S.
I much prefer the feel of a 21/18 bike and it’s much better on gnarly roads with bad surfaces (that’ll be the entire UK then ).
Yes a bike with 17” wheels will give you the choice of sporty rubber but modern tyres are amazing anyway.
The skinny rims on my 701LR still enabled me to have a great time hooning around Spain last month and the Conti TA3s gripped like shit to a blanket.
And there’s a few of us who have converted a 690/701 to cope with long trips.
Love mine.

559c59a25c50de184641c8c840ebb239.jpg

Or is that just me.

When I was looking at various bikes to use as the base model for an adventure bike I discounted the 690/701 option for being too heavy. I can easily put my 501 on its side then pick it up again when fully loaded if I want to get an extra 15 miles range out of my poorly designed Acerbis fuel tank :D

But there are a good few after market companies like Nomad that make a good living offering kits that turn lighter bikes like EXC’s, 690’s etc into travel bikes, so there does appear to be a market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must disagree somewhat.
I’ve had a 21/18 wheeled bike in my garage since 2004 when I got my first, a KTM 950S.
I much prefer the feel of a 21/18 bike and it’s much better on gnarly roads with bad surfaces (that’ll be the entire UK then ).
Yes a bike with 17” wheels will give you the choice of sporty rubber but modern tyres are amazing anyway.
The skinny rims on my 701LR still enabled me to have a great time hooning around Spain last month and the Conti TA3s gripped like shit to a blanket.
And there’s a few of us who have converted a 690/701 to cope with long trips.
Love mine.

559c59a25c50de184641c8c840ebb239.jpg

Aside from the high front mudguard it does look good for road use too. I guess it’s the 690 single cylinder engine? Nuts that a bike that small has 25L across 2 tanks.
I suppose that if KTM think there’s a market for a more powerful/heavier twin and there’s money to be made in that sector, that’s why Husky have made the Norden. I’m all for lighter bikes and a solid, well built, reliable workhorse bike with a bit of excitement in the engine is worth more to me than auto levelling suspension and hill hold :thumb

Aside from the high front mudguard it does look good for road use too. I guess it’s the 690 single cylinder engine? Nuts that a bike that small has 25L across 2 tanks.
I suppose that if KTM think there’s a market for a more powerful/heavier twin and there’s money to be made in that sector, that’s why Husky have made the Norden. I’m all for lighter bikes and a solid, well built, reliable workhorse bike with a bit of excitement in the engine is worth more to me than auto levelling suspension and hill hold :thumb

Yup it’s the same 690 motor in the 701 as in the KTM.
Very very smooth as since 2017 (from memory) they added an addition balancer to the motor.
It supposedly puts out 74bhp and goes like stink.
My mate (who is a much quicker rider than me) was on his Z1000SX (with 140bhp) in Spain and commented that my 701 left him,pulling out of corners and accelerating hard.
I was surprised at how well it went, as had previously only ridden it locally (on Guernsey).
I previously had a KTM 950 Super Enduro for a decade and fitted a larger tank and Renazco seat to that.
I only sold it as it was getting a bit tall for me due knackered knees.
The 701LR is even better in my eyes.
I can ride 300 miles without filling up,the seat is literally all day comfy-I did nearly 700 miles on my last day of the trip last month.
OK, it’s still hardly light at 182 kgs fully fuelled but that’s a good 65 kgs lighter than a GS,which is a huge difference and is very noticeable when riding mountain twisties.

I think most people have dreams of a lightweight 70hp adv bike...but very few realise (or need to ) that dream. Most riders don't touch the available performance of a 100hp adv bike with 18/21 wheels...you only have to look at the tyre wear....but most won't admit it and will insist on 125/150/170 hp and swear blind they really do use it.....yeah right.
This looks OK and if it was 30-40kg lighter than my AT I may well give it a look

Which is exactly why I’m building my airhead job. 180 kg, 500 mile range, 65 hp (with this engine anyway) and mostly fixable by the roadside.

I would really like a go on a 701 LR though

In some ways I see my 701 as a modern replacement for my G/S.

It is a better bike in almost every way. It's faster, handles better, has better brakes, better fuel economy by far and has infinitely better off road capability. It is less comfortable, but the G/S is like sitting on a railway sleeper itself, and Arsey has an answer to that issue if necessary if you have the need, the money and the patience to deal with Renazco.

I have just moved from the 990r, a superb bike, on and off road(in certain conditions)
IMO
I have now a 2020 690r enduro, with seat concepts seat, wings end can and a decent bash plate....and do you know what, it feels faster than the 990 up to 80 on open roads. Power to weight ratios etc quicker shifter is superb (still using the clutch sometimes:blast)
I haven't gone the full rally raid fairing look, more of a half way house. The front MST enduro mask is great upto 90 on open roads and Motorway work. With OS18 bags and rear rack for an us20, plus a 12 litre expandable tank bag, makes it my mini ADV. I'm going to give it some long journeys B4 the Western Alps LC8 rally next year.. less space means less beer and a
compact folding rucksack for beers nearer destination :beerjug:
Going to get the air filter mode next years to free up more storage under the seat (not going to get the 5ltr tank as in Europe your never far from a petrol station, and if needs be a 2 litre coke bottle will surfice:D)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211031-125439_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211031-125439_Gallery.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 449
Not a big market for something between the 690 and 890 IMHO, definitely a market though, but to develop such a bike would require confidence of good sales figures and half the people here moaning saying there should be a light twin cylinder ADV bike would never stump up for one anyway.

The 690 / 701's are roughly DRZ400S weight, so light enough, and with a few mods will do the job quite well, I suspect if you really tried you could buy an 890 and strip a lot of weight of it, full exhaust system could drop 6-9kg, lighter bolts, chuck away some emissions guff, custom wheels etc and you would be maybe knocking 15-20kg off the weight.

In some ways I see my 701 as a modern replacement for my G/S.

It is a better bike in almost every way. It's faster, handles better, has better brakes, better fuel economy by far and has infinitely better off road capability. It is less comfortable, but the G/S is like sitting on a railway sleeper itself, and Arsey has an answer to that issue if necessary if you have the need, the money and the patience to deal with Renazco.

If the LR had been available when I bought my 501 it would have been a difficult decision between the two but the additional weight would probably still have pushed me towards the lighter bike.

I’ve no regrets about buying the 501 and hoofing a wad of cash at it to convert it into a bike more suited to longer distances even though Covid has put any plans for the last two summers in the bin. I’m still convinced that there’s a need for a smaller capacity ‘adventure bike’ with genuine off road capability rather than something weighing in excess of 200kg before you put any gear on it but I can’t see any manufacturers going down that route.

Back
Top Bottom