Rough running

Backofbeyond

Reaction score
Hi all im looking for some advice. I bought a 2006 that has only covered 500 mile since since 2018. When I picked it up there was probably 1/4 tank of fuel so I went and put a full tank of decent fuel in. I rode the 140 miles home and bike was pulling like a train. I went to take it out yesterday and it was running rough when in low revs, struggling to get over 60 even when riding it hard. Someone suggested to put a fuel additive in with an injector cleaner. I when back out today and still the same problem. I done a TPS and the idle seems better but just no power. The left header is hotter than the right side. not really mechanically minded but can follow directions. any help would be greatfully accepted cheers Paul

Swap plugs and coils to see if cold side swaps over, this will rule out electrical or point you to plug failure or coil failure, you prob haven’t got much fuel left so why not drain it and start 100% fresh?

not really mechanically minded but can follow directions.

Being straight with you Paul it would probably be more economically viable to take it to someone who has experience with them

Because you could chase the issue throwing parts at it and just get fed up

and not having experience could mean you overtightening something and buggering it up, costing you Much more than it should do

Ignore the Dr’s dire warnings if gloom . Very little mechanical expertise required for testing, and no parts need be chucked at it nor does anything need to be unscrewed. Sounds like you have the usual problem, one of main coils failing/failed … easy to check. Unplug the connectors to the lower secondary plugs on both sides, start the bike and se if it runs on both cylinders or just one (might not start/run at all if both mains have fouled). If it’s running on just one cylinder then reconnect the secondary coil connection on the non running side and then see if both cylinders run. If so the main coil on the non running side is the problem…….

OK a wee update, as it was dry when I finished work I went out to have a look at the coil and found that the secondary coil on the right hand side was snapped at the plug end. So now to order a new one and hopefully that be the end of my problems cheers Paul
7484da67752071787607d13acc78181b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Might still be worth testing all your coils as per Steptoe's advice. A good source for coils is www.sparkplugs.co.uk. They sell champion coils which are in fact rebadged Beru coils, at a good price.

Back
Top Bottom