GOLDWING/Carplay/Google?

Can a route created in Google maps on an iPhone be displayed and used in Carplay once iPhone is connected?

Ta:beerjug:

Never tried it yet but can't see any reason why not. I don't use google maps much but Wave works fine on it once Carplay has a firm link. TBH, Honda could have worked harder at getting their nav and comms to work better. Why they couldn't have used a touchscreen nav/audio system I don't know. The present system works but it's a step backwards tech wise. :nenau

Easy way is to put the route on a dongle in .gpx format. Then import it via the usb socket. The current GW can hold 15 imported routes. Then find it on the satnav.

I can't answer your question on google maps as I've not tried it but I can vouch for Tom Tom Go which has a web based route planner that will seamlessly run on CarPlay on the GW. You can normally get a free months trial to see if you get on with it. Both Scenic and Calimoto are working towards CarPlay synchronisation so hopefully there will be a decent web based planning option soon.

As for the integrated bike sat nav, I've used myrouteapp and basecamp to plot routes and upload via a USB stick but I find it clunky and nowhere near as efficient as Tom Tom Go. A to B Waze is good but my default is Apple maps, it's come a long way since the early crappy versions and puts just enough info on the screen to allow easy navigation without any distracting bits.

But as already mentioned, cutting edge it ain't, Honda could learn a lot from BMW when it comes to innovative new technology !!

I believe my Africa Twin has the same TFT/Carplay as the Goldwing. On the few occasions I've tried it, creating a route using via points within Google Maps, once I've connected up to Carplay it either tends to ignore the via points unless you re-enter them (laboriously) or assuming you do that it will tend to dynamically reroute you to avoid traffic. It's easy to miss the 'traffic avoidance/dismiss' option and I've had variable results with that also.

I haven't tried Apple Maps or Waze on anything other than point-to-point routes yet, however all seem geared towards minimising travel time rather than specific controllable routing.

On my car play what ever I do on the phone is mirrored on the screen, so if I set a route on the phone Google maps first, then open the same app on the car play it displays the route.

Thanks for that.

Is it true that to use Carplay you have to be paired with a bluetooth headset? I only need on screen instructions.

I've been spoilt be RT screen and app.

:beerjug:

Thanks for that.

Is it true that to use Carplay you have to be paired with a bluetooth headset? I only need on screen instructions.

Interesting question.

Thanks for that.

No headset required merely your phone linked and you are good to go.

It's a bit clunky with the 'Wing. Basically you have to treat the bike as the hub. If you use a headset you have to pair it to the bike and then plug your phone into the bike via the integral lightning/usb connector. Generally it then all works.

It (the bike audio/satnav system) doesn't like it much if your phone and your headset is paired via bluetooth already, i.e. it then won't generally connect to either.

I tend to use the built in sat nav as a stand alone item (without audio) and listen to audio via my cardo paired to the phone. (if I listen to anything at all other than the Two Brothers exhaust :green gri)

Honda need to sort it out and probably take a leaf from the K1600 and it's TFT screen.

If you want to use CarPlay you must have a BT headset connected. If your BT drops out for any reason CarPlay will disappear which is a PITA if you’re using it for navigation. Just using BT bike to bike can cause the connection to drop out. I’ve upgraded to mesh which obviously doesn’t cause any BT conflict and seems to work fine with CarPlay.

Back
Top Bottom