R1100GS M94 input shaft advice needed !

Toastman

Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker here, normally by scouring the threads I can find any information I might need but I'm drawing blanks with this one so far . . . .:nenau
I am currently rebuilding the gearbox on my 94 R 1100 GS, it had an output shaft bearing failure that luckily I caught in very good time ! Internally, there is almost no wear anywhere, but whilst in there I am considering replacing all the bearings to so called 'clean' deep ball race ones. . . .The input shaft has the original taper roller bearings on each end, I measure their depth at 16.25 mm each, the ''problem'' is the replacement ball races are only 15mm deep each ? ! :confused: Clearly I need to shim these up, but how much by ? Does anyone know the recommended endfloat for this shaft ? Should I shim between the shaft / bearing inner or perhaps between the outer race and the casing itself ? I am aware the taper rollers were scrapped due to premature failures, caused in part by too much preload on the tapers ? From the wear the bearings show, the casings were definitely squished up tight ! ;) The bike has about 80,000 miles on it and had been running well until recently, should I maybe just replace like for like and call it good ?

Questions, questions ! Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated, I especially look forward to hearing from anyone that has direct experience or even done this 'mod' themselves ! Or please point to me a relevant thread !:)
Many thanks in advance

Howdo jus had the same problem with my 99 1100gs ..one of the cages broke up ,managed to get another output shaft n got the gearbox rebuilt with new bearings/seals work was done by mikeyboy on here @overland and classic

Hi all, long time lurker here, normally by scouring the threads I can find any information I might need but I'm drawing blanks with this one so far . . . .:nenau
I am currently rebuilding the gearbox on my 94 R 1100 GS, it had an output shaft bearing failure that luckily I caught in very good time ! Internally, there is almost no wear anywhere, but whilst in there I am considering replacing all the bearings to so called 'clean' deep ball race ones. . . .The input shaft has the original taper roller bearings on each end, I measure their depth at 16.25 mm each, the ''problem'' is the replacement ball races are only 15mm deep each ? ! :confused: Clearly I need to shim these up, but how much by ? Does anyone know the recommended endfloat for this shaft ? Should I shim between the shaft / bearing inner or perhaps between the outer race and the casing itself ? I am aware the taper rollers were scrapped due to premature failures, caused in part by too much preload on the tapers ? From the wear the bearings show, the casings were definitely squished up tight ! ;) The bike has about 80,000 miles on it and had been running well until recently, should I maybe just replace like for like and call it good ?

Questions, questions ! Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated, I especially look forward to hearing from anyone that has direct experience or even done this 'mod' themselves ! Or please point to me a relevant thread !:)
Many thanks in advance

Mine went at 100,000 ..there's a big thread on the American advrider forum in the GS section bout someone rebuilding theirs , shimming and bearing replacement etc..

Mine went at 100,000 ..there's a big thread on the American advrider forum in the GS section bout someone rebuilding theirs , shimming and bearing replacement etc..

Cheers West coast gser ! I'll take a look there ! With a 150 odd views and no replies, I was beginning to think no one had ever encountered this issue ! Cheers for the pointer, I appreciate it ;)

Back
Top Bottom