New ferry - Eemshaven-Kristiansand

Just checked the cost of the crossing (s). Bearing in mind that the MS Romantika does sail (at least in August/September '24) from German port of Emden and not from Dutch port of Eemshaven, as was being suggested in the original post. This does differ a bit in journey time reaching the port of Emden from Hook of Holland.

As one does live on the outskirts of North London, it only makes sense to either sail on overnight ferry with Stena Line, Harwich - Hook of Holland or take the alternative, Le Shuttle train, Folkestone - Coquelles (Calais)

The costs of a return crossing(s) in late August - early September of '24 based on a 1 man, wit a motorcycle.

Option 1: Ferries with a days worth of bimble.
Leg 1. UK - Hook-of-Holland - Hook-Of-Holland - UK: with Stena Line

Outbound: Single passenger with a motorcycle is £118, plus and outside 1 berth cabin £76, or 1 berth inside option would set you back £63. (Top tip: Book an inside 1 berth disabled cabin for £63 if you like your space) My understanding is, that one might have to give this cabin up, if a genuine disabled person would need to occupy it.

Inbound: Single passenger with a motorcycle is £95.00, plus and outside 1 berth cabin £50.00, or 1 berth inside option would set you back £63.00. (Top tip: Book an inside 1 berth disabled cabin for £50.00 if you like your space) As above, one might have to give this cabin up.
Account for an onboard refreshing beverages, evening meal and breakfast of circa £40-£70 per crossing. Depending how many sherbets does one like to sink.
The return ticket for this crossing, would set you back £351.00 + Meals & drinks allowance, so let us call it a round number of £490.

I have attached screenshot of a mock crossing details bellow.
Image 29-08-2023 at 09.38.jpg

Leg 2. Netherlands/Germany - Norway - Netherlands/Germany: with Holland Norway Lines
Single passenger with a motorcycle is €210, rising to €260 in high season (for example, in early August '24) , plus and outside 2 berth cabin €125, or 2 berth inside option would set you back €95.
Same prices do apply on a return journey, (in September ’24).

All meals can be pre-booked in advance, as late as 24h ahead of crossing with a slight saving.
Breakfast:
Cost on-board €19.50 or €17.50 if booked ahead of time.
Grande Buffet (dinner, based on 1 hourly slot):
Cost on-board €40.00 or €36.50 if booked ahead of time.
Restaurant Grillhouse:
Cost on-board €42.50 or €39.50 if booked ahead of time.

Allow for an interim coffee or alcoholic drinks, I’d allow €50-€70 per crossing.
The return leg of this crossing, would set you back €670 + Meals (pre-booked Grillhouse Restaurant & Breakfast) & drinks (Beer/Wine €100) allowance , so let us call it a round number of €830.
Or £712.00, at a curent (August ’23) exchange rate, using Currency exchange app.
Naturally, nothing stopping you dropping by the Lidl (or similar) to stuff a bag full of snacks and a few cans of cheap lagger, if one is on a very very tight budget.

Overland travel distance and time, between ports of Hook-of-Holland and Emden according to Google Maps.
Minimum of 227 miles (3h 55min), unto 251 miles (4h 19min). Or 231 miles (6h 51min) unto 248 miles (7h 13min) by avoiding motorways.
Return fuel cost of 60.00-£66.00 (at £1.50p/l) for an average rider astride a large ADV bike, with a fuel tank capacity, circa 20L-22L, would mean, minimum consumption of a single tank of fuel, averaging 60mph at (52mpg)

The grand total for both return crossings would be in the region of £1264.00 or save a good £100-£150, if you stick to a beer or two per crossing. Even more if you are a T-total type.

I have attached screenshot of a mock crossing details bellow.
Image 29-08-2023 at 09.09.jpg

Option 2. Crossing using Le Shuttle RORO train from Folkestone - Coquelles (Calais) - Emden - Kristiansand - Emden - Coquelles (Calais) - Folkestone:

Le Shuttle, Outbound: Single passenger with a motorcycle cost £61- £66
Return ferry crossing, including Meals. etc. £712.00
Le Shuttle, Inbound: Single passenger with a motorcycle cost £51-£61.

Overland travel distance and time, between Coquelles (Calais) terminal & port of Emden, according to Google Maps.
Minimum of 380 miles (6h 53min), and up-to 403 miles (7h 26min). Or circa 400 miles (12h 29min) by avoiding motorways.
Return journey fuel cost of 90.00-£100.00 (at £1.50p/l) for an average rider astride a large ADV bike, with a fuel tank capacity, circa 20L-22L, would mean, minimum consumption of a 1.5 tank of fuel, averaging 60mph at (52mpg).
The grand total for a return crossing would be £932.00

Option 3. Alternative route to all of the above, would be to take the Le Shuttle, then cross on a ferry from Danish port of Hirtshals - Kristiansand - Hirtshals.

Overland travel distance
and time, between Coquelles (Calais) terminal & port of Hirtshals, according to Google Maps.
Minimum of 788miles (13h 35min), and unto 830 miles (14h 3min). Or circa 820 miles (22h) by avoiding motorways.
Return journey fuel cost of 104.00-£109.00 (at £1.50p/l) for an average rider, astride a large ADV bike, with a fuel tank capacity, circa 20L-22L, would mean, minimum consumption of a 3.5 tanks of fuel, averaging 60mph at (52mpg).

Allowing 1-2 two nights of camping or hotels, plus coffee, lunch stops in addition to an evenings meal. I’d allow anything from £50-150 per night.

Return ferry crossing Hirtshals- Kristiansand cost using fast FjordLine Ferries departing 3 times a day.

The return ticket cost amounts to €156.00, the price does include pre-booked recliner seat at €11.00 each way for a crossing duration of 3h 55min each way. The booking of a seat or a cabin is not mandotary with FjordLine ferries. You can prebook your meal ahead of time. Breakfast Buffet, cost €20.00 per adult. Lunch Buffet, cost €31.00 per adult. Let’s face it, we all like to eat on board a vessel.

The grand total for this return crossing would come to a €207.00 including meals and pre-booked seat. You can deduct €22 from the total if you was to choose to sit at the bar/cafe for the duration of the crossing.

Return cost and time/distance comparison, based a 12 day jaunt. Excluding any journeys undertaken within the UK mainland and Norwegian mainland.

Option 1. Harwich - Hook-of-Holand - Emden - Kristiansand:

2 nights at sea £1200.00,
1 day overlanding, circa 500 miles (2 x 250), cost of fuel £64.00 (£32.00 x 2), coffee stops £30 (£15.00 x 2), etc.
Grand total, £1294.00

Pros: Leave UK shores late in the evening and arrive the following morning, take a leisurely ride through the Nederlands, board the ferry the same evening and arrive the following morning to the south coast of Norway. Begin your tour as if you just stepped out of your front door. Fresh tyres, with only circa 500 (based on my location) miles on the clock.

Cons: Obvious, overall cost, is hard to stomach.

Option 2. Folkestone - Coquelles - Emden - Kristiansand:

Le Shuttle Crossing, £120 (average cost £60.00 x 2)
1 - 2 days overloading circa 800 miles (2 x 400) , cost of fuel £173.50 (£49.50 x 3.5), coffee stops £30/60 (£15.00 x 2/4), etc.
1 night at the Hotel/Campsite + Evening meal & drink 120.00/£40.00 (£240/£80)
1 night at sea. £712.00
Grand Total. £1305.50 if staying at the hotel, or £1115.50 if camping.

Pros: nearly £180.00 saving on above if camping. Board ferry to Norway same evening or the following evening, if you choose to take non motorway route. Arrive rested and fresh the following morning to the south coast of Norway. Begin your tour.

Cons: Very early (circa 04:30am) start, if choosing same day ferry crossing. Additional 200 miles (there and back) worth of tyre wear, longer day in the saddle on the motorway network or two average days off the beaten track. Choosing staying the night, would mean spending two days less in Norway.

Option 3. Folkestone - Coquelles - Hirtshals - Kristiansand:

Le Shuttle Crossing, £120 (average cost £60.00 x 2)
Minimum 2-3 days overlanding circa 820 miles each way. Cost of fuel £218.00/(£109.00 x 2) potentially in varying wether conditions, coffee/snack stops £60 (£15.00 x 4), etc.
1 - 2 nights at the Hotel/Campsite + Evening meals & drinks. £120.00/£40.00 - £240/£80 (£240/£80 - £480/£160)
Ferry day crossing £207.00
Grand Total. £1085.00 if staying at the hotel, or £765.00 if choosing camping.

Pros:
Significant cost saving over all of the above, if you are on a shoe string budget, or leaving to save up and travel another year is not an option.
Arrive to the shores of Norway same day.

Cons:
Loss of minimum 4 days touring in Norway.
Significant tyre wear (squaring off), having to cover in excess of 900-950 each way to reach Norwegian coast.
Potential delays en-route to catch a ferry or the train, might put you under pressure to make progress, resulting in fewer rest stops, etc.
Less likely if you have chosen flexible ticket options for both, ferry as well as train.
Depending on the time of your crossing from Denmark/Norway, you might have to find campsite/hotel almost immediately after leaving port.
Additional 2000miles on your awesome steed, means residual values have gone down if you are the type who likes to chop in your bikes on a regular basis. Not a massive problem if you are keeping the bike for any amount of years.

To conclude:

Take option 1, relax and just enjoy the life aboard the vessel(s).

Choose option 2, if you have time on your hands and wish to save a little bit of cash. However, having to ride nearly 400 miles (each way) in one day on the motorway network, isn’t really much fun, just to save £180.

Option 3, ready does defeat the purpose, as the cost of servicing the bike 2k miles earlier, potentially having a new tyre fitted, and a residual value of the bike plummeting, not least wasting time not seeing the destination country for as long as one can, by simply taking option 1 (especially if you are a non drinker) or option 2. This option is a false immediate economy in my opinion, that will come to bite you further down the line.

Three of us did the Harwich to HoH then up to Cosham (just before they moved it to Emden) in laye May. The ride from HoH to Emden is, in my opinion, too much of a stretch to do it for the same day that you arrive at HoH. It is doable but it wont take much of a delay for you to watch the ferry as it sails away to Norway! When we originally booked it was to sail from Eemshaven so we went a day earier and did an overnight in Germany.

We can recommend you book the buffet dinner (about £38 from memory) on the Emden ferry. It includes all the beer and wine you can drink, as well as the food. Get in as soon as it opens at 17.30 and stay until they ask you to leave, about 21.00, you can easily save its cost in drink alone 😄

The option I’m looking at doing is taking the overnight ferry to the hook of Holland, then two days across Holland and Germany before taking the Kiel to Oslo ferry.
I know it may not be the cheapest but the Norway trip is a once in a lifetime trip for me

The option I’m looking at doing is taking the overnight ferry to the hook of Holland, then two days across Holland and Germany before taking the Kiel to Oslo ferry.
I know it may not be the cheapest but the Norway trip is a once in a lifetime trip for me
You are correct. It is not the cheapest, but the Kiel/Oslo is as much a cruise ship as it is a ferry. It is an experience. Also, on the return, you may have time to visit the U-boat memorial at Laboe, a 10-15 minute ride from Kiel. U-995 is on display. You can actually see the U-boat as the ferry leaves Kiel.

You are correct. It is not the cheapest, but the Kiel/Oslo is as much a cruise ship as it is a ferry. It is an experience. Also, on the return, you may have time to visit the U-boat memorial at Laboe, a 10-15 minute ride from Kiel. U-995 is on display. You can actually see the U-boat as the ferry leaves Kiel.
That’s being added to the trip!!

I did very similar last month but I went Hull to Rotterdam. I met my lad in Hamburg then the Kiel to Oslo ferry. It is a great ferry much more like a cruise ship than a ferry. We were lucky and were upgraded to an outside cabin. This was a very nice surprise. I had also booked dinner and breakfast for us and the food was very good. We went above the Arctic circle and to the Lofoton islands as well as riding the Atlantic Ocean road and the Trollstigen. On our way North the E6 was washed out by storms and landslides so we had to ride the gravel and dirt roads for many kilometres.
Hope you have as good a trip as we did.

With approximately 75,000 passengers who’ve booked - out of pocket!

Well that’s a shame! Would be interested to know why it went under, lack of demand, increased costs etc
Also makes me think that the uk to Norway ferry in the planning won’t last even if it does get off the ground

I’d be on the first sailing if it did start up again. As long as it wasn’t mid winter! :D

Back
Top Bottom