Turn by turn no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone noticed that it no longer gives turn by turn directions - just follow the purple line now. Also, it no longer gives speed limits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: If you do find that you have lost turn directions, first check that you do not have Garmin maps AND some other third party maps, running simultaneously. This thread gives the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone noticed that it no longer gives turn by turn directions - just follow the purple line now. Also, it no longer gives speed limits.

That is because (I am speculating on your behalf) you are running a planned track instead of route.
Convert track into route and hopefully everything will be back to normal.
Search for your planned trip/routes under trip planner in apps.

Happened to me in Spain. I am a bit new to the XT, hence the reason why that happened.

Again, I might be completely wrong, and on that account, I apologise in advance.

EV

Do the turn instructions appear in the little box in the left hand corner of the screen?

Usually, the lack of instructions is linked to some problem with the device running a route properly. Does it happen on all routes you run or just one?

That is because (I am speculating on your behalf) you are running a planned track instead of route.
Convert track into route and hopefully everything will be back to normal.
Search for your planned trip/routes under trip planner in apps.

Happened to me in Spain. I am a bit new to the XT, hence the reason why that happened.

Again, I might be completely wrong, and on that account, I apologise in advance.

EV

Whenever I’ve been following a route I’ve planned and uploaded, which is mostly, it doesn’t seem to give turn by turn and this has been reported lots of times. Same with following a track, or a track that’s been converted to a route

However, over the last couple of days I’ve done a couple of journeys by just entering an address or postcode and letting the nav work out the route. No turn by turn, and no speed limits given, and it definitely used to give turn by turn if just used as an A to B device.

Do the turn instructions appear in the little box in the left hand corner of the screen?

Usually, the lack of instructions is linked to some problem with the device running a route properly. Does it happen on all routes you run or just one?

No, they don’t. There’s a message bar at the top which is where directions usually appear and it’s blank apart from the road number, and oddly a warning triangle which when pressed lists dozens of speed cams, none on my route. Also there’s no longer a junction view or lane assist.

Happens on all routes, and all destinations entered.

OK, thanks.

The device appears to have lost its ability to render up the instructions embedded into routes. Why, is a mystery.

Have you recently updated the software, if so to what and did the problem start soon after?

Is your cursor properly on the route?

Are you using the device’s installed Garmin full maps or some third party maps?

I can sometimes make my Garmin devices (I don’t own an XT) do it to order by deliberately driving off a route (I have recalculation turned off) and then rejoin it. It sometimes takes the device (though I am not sure why) some time to realise that I am back on route. Until it realises, I lose all commands and the box in the top left hand corner ceases to function, just as you are experiencing. Then suddenly it will realise and things return to normal.

Have you tried a soft / hard reset?

Me? If the problem is, as you suggest, continuous and affecting all routes, I’d be seeking a replacement device under warranty.

Whenever I’ve been following a route I’ve planned and uploaded, which is mostly, it doesn’t seem to give turn by turn and this has been reported lots of times. Same with following a track, or a track that’s been converted to a route

However, over the last couple of days I’ve done a couple of journeys by just entering an address or postcode and letting the nav work out the route. No turn by turn, and no speed limits given, and it definitely used to give turn by turn if just used as an A to B device.

I see,

Sadly I can’t tell you the reasons why your decide doing all this.

Something definitely gone iffy.

My XT does this if I have an OSM map enabled at the same time as trying to use City Navigator Europe. Try it with just CN Europe enabled.

I'll have a go at mine tonight (A/B routing sending the address from Drive).

My XT does this if I have an OSM map enabled at the same time as trying to use City Navigator Europe. Try it with just CN Europe enabled.

I experimented once (by accident) to see what happens if you select an OSM and Garmin map simultaneously. It doesn’t hurt the device but it certainly screws with its efforts to run a route.

My XT defaults to selecting all the maps after a restart.
(I have an OSM based map in there as well).

The unit behaviour around this has always been pretty unclear.

My XT does this if I have an OSM map enabled at the same time as trying to use City Navigator Europe.

Tested tonight across London.
It is as Cheney wrote above.

Routed from New Cross to Putney. I only had the purple line to follow. No indication about turns/exits on the top rectangle (where roads names are) and no speed limit info.
After dinner, when leaving Putney to go back home, I checked the maps and my OSM map was selected alongside all the Garmin ones. Deselected it: everything works as intended.

This wasn't happening before the last software update.
I kept my XT with the 2020 firmware until beginning of October. In September I drove to/from Rome in the car and I had all the indications on the screen (speed/turns). And since I had the XT, the OSM maps are automatically enabled (checkbox on) everytime the XT restarts or is woken up from sleep.

It looks like the cause of Berin’s problem, might be that the device is trying to run Garmin’s and some third party’s maps simultaneously.

Yes it is.

But, again, this wasn’t happening before.
Also, my OSM map is non routable.

It looks like the cause of Berin’s problem, might be that the device is trying to run Garmin’s and some third party’s maps simultaneously.

Apologies, I'm late to this conversation. I bought my XT second hand, and it presented with the symptoms described above.
Eventually i twigged it was the third-party mapping held on the SD card that was 'locking out' the proper Garmin functionality.

Removed card & extra maps, XT suddenly became worth the purchase.
Reformatted and re-inserted blanked card, all still good, so definitely the third-party map caused the obstruction.

HTH

It does.

maps-selector.jpg

Mine resets to all maps selected semi randomly though.

I was just going through settings and noticed I had a custom map enabled, so I’ve disabled that.

I also removed all my pgsw camera waypoints as it seemed to want to constantly alert me about all of them.

I will report back, having removed the offending camera waypoints and unticked the custom maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom