Orange has poisoned me

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I made the mistake of test riding the 890 adventure. I did have an F800gs years ago but hated it and went back to a 1200gs. Been on a 1200lc for 5 years now and use it for everything from Rallys to touring Europe and even two up with the wife on the back.
I found the 890 alive and dare I say it exciting? Engine was nicer than the Africa Twin I tried and riding position was aggressive but comfortable.
Tell me why I should turn orange? I think the only issue would be two up riding.

For me it’s the looks of KTMs that kill it. Considered test riding one before I bought the GS but the reality was I disliked the styling and that would stop me buying one. But that’s a personal thing, I say, if you really enjoyed it, go for it. This ain’t a rehearsal, this is the only go you get.

I like the styling a lot, I just worry about servicing and reliability. The GS is cheap to service and pretty damn reliable.

If you aren’t over-keen on the 890 styling, the new Husky Norden 901 has same motor and same pannier tanks so low c of g .

b1a72ee45bd2dfd57cb3ccedd173486b.jpg

I had two 701s and preferred the styling over the 690 but I don't like the norden at all, but not seen one in the flesh.

I made the mistake of test riding the 890 adventure. I did have an F800gs years ago but hated it and went back to a 1200gs. Been on a 1200lc for 5 years now and use it for everything from Rallys to touring Europe and even two up with the wife on the back.
I found the 890 alive and dare I say it exciting? Engine was nicer than the Africa Twin I tried and riding position was aggressive but comfortable.
Tell me why I should turn orange? I think the only issue would be two up riding.

And who says you can only have one bike?

I bought a new 790 in Sept 2021 from Dave Barkshire's and have done nearly 7000 miles on it. I also have a GSA1200 TC. The 790 is my 'go to' bike and I've overcome the ugly/strange/unusual looks because of the way the bike rides on motorways, A/B roads and off-road.

I had an 890 for the day when mine was being serviced and loved it even more. I can't justify the expense of swapping mine for an 890 (especially as I didn't pay much for it) but I found the 890 engine more torquey and the suspension/ride was less firm than the 790. It's even better.

Do it......!

I bought a new 790 in Sept 2021 from Dave Barkshire's and have done nearly 7000 miles on it. I also have a GSA1200 TC. The 790 is my 'go to' bike and I've overcome the ugly/strange/unusual looks because of the way the bike rides on motorways, A/B roads and off-road.

I had an 890 for the day when mine was being serviced and loved it even more. I can't justify the expense of swapping mine for an 890 (especially as I didn't pay much for it) but I found the 890 engine more torquey and the suspension/ride was less firm than the 790. It's even better.

Do it......!

I am sorely tempted I admit, I like the looks. My GS has been awesome over the last five years and my dealer is also very good.
I know I can just get on it and go and not think twice about it. But I am doing more and more off road stuff and rallying so the decrease in weight was really noticeable.

If you fancy it then go for it - you only live once.

On my 5th KTM now and not had a major issue with any of them so far. Had 10 GS's over the years and had to reject 2 of them ;)

KTM warranty back up is not as good as BMW but if you have a decent local dealer then I would not hesitate :D

I've been waiting for the Norden but now I'm waiting to see the Ducati Desert X too. if either are better for my intended purpose I'll be looking at replacing my Africa Twin DCT...but I like that too :confused:

Yes they do get some mixed reviews!

Gear4 in Market Deeping too far away?

Not really, I tested at Orwell's but that wasn't a good experience, well not compared to my bmw dealer.

If you aren’t over-keen on the 890 styling, the new Husky Norden 901 has same motor and same pannier tanks so low c of g .

b1a72ee45bd2dfd57cb3ccedd173486b.jpg

Looking at the concept bike side by side, they are really aren't that much different. I like the 901, might even give it a go once the dealer has them on demo.

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 461
Looking at the concept bike side by side, they are really aren't that much different. I like the 901, might even give it a go once the dealer has them on demo.

I could see myself on something like that.

Back
Top Bottom