Delaminated Clutch

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A warning. This is what happens after jet washing a bike and putting it away for a long period.

The engine has been started and run a few times during that time, but the clutch was never operated.

The metal in the friction material has corroded and stuck to the cover plate and pressure plate.... owner started the bike, put it in gear and BANG... it's in pieces.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind, too bad.

Attachments

• Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 426
Oh my god. How long did they store it? I would not have expected that. What could have prevented it? Running the gears a couple of times after the jet washing before storage or riding it while it was being stored?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

Oh my god. How long did they store it? I would not have expected that. What could have prevented it? Running the gears a couple of times after the jet washing before storage or riding it while it was being stored?

Don't use a jet wash would be a good start! I learned that the hard way on my R60/6 40 odd years ago. Fortunately BMW picked up the damaged front wheel bearings under warranty. A bucket of cold soapy water, a rinse and then a ride to dry it off, is all you need.

Excuse my ignorance but I thought the clutch was sealed. How/where did the water get into the clutch?

Excuse my ignorance but I thought the clutch was sealed. How/where did the water get into the clutch?

Nope. If it was sealed, how would the starter motor access the starter pinion on the flywheel? A high pressure jet will get in there no problem but not elbow grease!

Water gets in the same way as oil leaks out when a crank/balance/gearbox input shaft seal goes.

Don't use a jet wash would be a good start! I learned that the hard way on my R60/6 40 odd years ago. Fortunately BMW picked up the damaged front wheel bearings under warranty. A bucket of cold soapy water, a rinse and then a ride to dry it off, is all you need.

I agree, jet washes can be death to a bike. There are few riders in our Blood Bike group with a clean bike fetish that insist on washing the bejasus out of them and, posting pictures up on FB of them doing so :blast
The front wheel bearings on the Honda failed at an early stage and i reckon it was due to all the jet washing it got as there wasn't a scrap of grease in there when it was stripped down.
The recently acquired 1250RT is now getting the "treatment", i await developments :D

I agree, jet washes can be death to a bike. There are few riders in our Blood Bike group with a clean bike fetish that insist on washing the bejasus out of them and, posting pictures up on FB of them doing so :blast
The front wheel bearings on the Honda failed at an early stage and i reckon it was due to all the jet washing it got as there wasn't a scrap of grease in there when it was stripped down.
The recently acquired 1250RT is now getting the "treatment", i await developments :D

I agree with you completely. But as far as the Honda is concerned, 12 years ago I had a Deauville 700 from new and it was never jet washed. When I came to replace the rear tyre after about 8 months I found the rear wheel spindle and spacers totally corroded. I'm an aircraft engineer with a very good tool collection and it took quite a bit of work with a rivet gun to loosen everything. I had a look at the complete bike lubrication and couldn't find any sign of grease. Honda said that it was no worse than they would expect for a bike of it's age (8-9 months!).

Jet washing and all the muck off shite that’s used is the worst thing you can do… Lots of seized alternators appearing on the 1200 models due to being jet washed and then put away in the garage… wet copper and aluminum aren’t good bedfellows…. Here’s just a small example of the rather large collection of completely fecked alternators I’m gathering, all due to corrosion. The bikes are lovely and shiny on the outside, but inside and out of sight is where the damage is done….. £700 for a new alternator, thank you. They can’t be reconditioned when this happens, and good luck finding a used one.

Attachments

• 339CF85E-4F75-44F6-B31F-6021776B124C.jpeg
    339CF85E-4F75-44F6-B31F-6021776B124C.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 285
  • 7E3FD755-3A81-4CCB-9A6F-5E93B1319DFB.jpeg
    7E3FD755-3A81-4CCB-9A6F-5E93B1319DFB.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 288
  • C01DB3C6-FCB5-4760-839D-4BF96C3765C6.jpeg
    C01DB3C6-FCB5-4760-839D-4BF96C3765C6.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 285
  • 47A2F43B-1D40-4871-923D-04C5C2773712.jpeg
    47A2F43B-1D40-4871-923D-04C5C2773712.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 284
What's wrong with the muc off stuff? I'm genuinely asking. I jet wash my bike (but I try to stay further away when getting to delicate areas) and use he big pink muc off spray and thought it should be fine. Especially the latter...

Best thing is spray with Muck-Off, wait five minutes and then use a 5 litre plastic garden spray, pump it up, shifts the dirt with out the force of a jet wash, though if you've been green laning perhaps not powerful enough !

What's wrong with the muc off stuff? I'm genuinely asking. I jet wash my bike (but I try to stay further away when getting to delicate areas) and use he big pink muc off spray and thought it should be fine. Especially the latter...

Can’t remember the specifics but there was a time when there was too much acid in it. Can’t remember if it was mucoff or one of the other brands. JJH

Used over long periods of time It used to rot electrical wiring.

A warning. This is what happens after jet washing a bike and putting it away for a long period.

The engine has been started and run a few times during that time, but the clutch was never operated.

The metal in the friction material has corroded and stuck to the cover plate and pressure plate.... owner started the bike, put it in gear and BANG... it's in pieces.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind, too bad.

Which GS genre?

I use normal hose pressure and then an air dryer to clear water from all the nooks and crannies - alternatively take the bike for a ride of a few miles to blow out all the excess water after cleaning. NEVER put a bike away wet.

Can’t remember the specifics but there was a time when there was too much acid in it. Can’t remember if it was mucoff or one of the other brands. JJH

Used over long periods of time It used to rot electrical wiring.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I jet washed my bike today (from a distance!) and did the muc-off and then acf-50 for the winter. Exactly what I shouldn't have aparently, bit reading this post got me excited about cleaning my bike.

Sometimes the brain messes up a bit

Would never use muck off, it’s shit.

I prefer to use proper detailing stuff, it’s much gentler.

I use a jet wash, but I’m careful about how close I get, I have a hand held gun with a 20 degree nozzle so as not to have to powerful a ‘jet’.

Back
Top Bottom