Ask Knutk

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
May I start a thread where people can ask you direct questions? :nenau :thumb2

It was a query about questions! :D

Gentlemen, sorry for my very late reply.

Yes, you may ask questions, and I will do my best to help within my abilility.

As for the post with the choice of routes, I'm still working on it.

However, my main computer is out of order, and being not brand new, I had to order parts from abroad. (Ok, guess I'm a cheap sodd and ordered from China..) Anyway, according to shipping info, I should be expecting the parts towards the end of the year..
So if it all works out, I will try to publish the gpx file with comments in a pdf-file with open access from Dropbox early 2022.

Ok, first one then. :thumb2
I’m having 6 weeks off next year travelling around Scandinavia ( mainly Norway ) on a bike camping as much as possible but the question is, which 6 weeks. :nenau
I’d like to avoid the main holiday season ( probably not completely possible) mosquitoes, bad weather, seasonal road closures ( road works ) etc…..
I know the weather is totally unpredictable but the rest are a lot more predictable. I’d rather go earlier in the year than later on.

So, Knutk, what 6 weeks would you recommend? :nenau

Ok, first one then. :thumb2
I’m having 6 weeks off next year travelling around Scandinavia ( mainly Norway ) on a bike camping as much as possible but the question is, which 6 weeks. :nenau
I’d like to avoid the main holiday season ( probably not completely possible) mosquitoes, bad weather, seasonal road closures ( road works ) etc…..
I know the weather is totally unpredictable but the rest are a lot more predictable. I’d rather go earlier in the year than later on.

So, Knutk, what 6 weeks would you recommend? :nenau

I think starting last week of june will be a good time for you.

Puiblic hollidays are 3 weeks in july, but I would not worry about that. It's not that crowded, except for in major cities..
Keep in mind, Norway in area is 50% larger than UK, and there are only 5,5 mill of us..

I think starting last week of june will be a good time for you.

Puiblic hollidays are 3 weeks in july, but I would not worry about that. It's not that crowded, except for in major cities..
Keep in mind, Norway in area is 50% larger than UK, and there are only 5,5 mill of us..
Ok, perfect thanks. :thumb2 I’ll start looking at booking ferries.
The solitude and scenery is what I’m after. :thumb2 I’m not interested in visiting any cities either so that’s not a problem.

Been to Norway a few times. I was pleasantly surprised by the number and quality of the campsites. It seemed every town had one and a lot of smaller villages. We hardly ever put the tents up because most campsites had huts that were reasonably priced.

Ok, perfect thanks. :thumb2 I’ll start looking at booking ferries.
The solitude and scenery is what I’m after. :thumb2 I’m not interested in visiting any cities either so that’s not a problem.

In scenery and solitude is desired, I humbly suggest that you get your selg a detailed map and put on some tires that will handle less than perfect road conditions. (We are talking bicycle, right?).

Here are some spots that may bring what you are searching for.

51692011027_05b0f8ac15_c.jpg

51693075978_7c2b87d7f1_c.jpg

51692008327_a4f2dd266d_c.jpg

As you probably know by now, it's all about 'Freecamp'.

No, sorry for any misunderstanding, I’ll be on my BMW 1150 GS. I’m hoping to free camp as much as possible in remote areas as possible too! :thumb2. I’ll have a tent and hammock so can pitch up almost anywhere.
I’ll have a new set of Tourance tyres on so a bit of gravel / off-roading is definitely on the cards to get to the perfect camp place.

Those pictures are exactly what I’ll be looking for. Perfect.

I’ve been watching a lot of superb YouTube videos from a Norwegian chap called tshansen. He does some cracking videos and goes to some stunningly beautiful places camping at most of them. Well worth a watch. :thumb2
https://youtu.be/hNuUxuJO6jo

Ok, question 2. Fishing.
I know you don’t need a license to fish in the sea but you do for lakes and rivers so 1. where do you get one from? 2. How much are they? 3. How long do they last? 4. Do they cover the whole of Norway or are they regional?
Cheers.

Ok, question 2. Fishing.
I know you don’t need a license to fish in the sea but you do for lakes and rivers so 1. where do you get one from? 2. How much are they? 3. How long do they last? 4. Do they cover the whole of Norway or are they regional?
Cheers.

You’ll need a harpoon and a very long rope if you are going for whales.

As to the rest, try Google: https://www.environmentagency.no/ar...for-recreational-fishing-in-rivers-and-lakes/

There again, who the feck is going to find you, with your little rid out, miles from anywhere?

You’ll need a harpoon and a very long rope if you are going for whales.

As to the rest, try Google: https://www.environmentagency.no/ar...for-recreational-fishing-in-rivers-and-lakes/

There again, who the feck is going to find you, with your little rid out, miles from anywhere?
Probably no one but I do like keeping things legal. Especially somewhere abroad. It can save a lot of hassle in the long run. :thumb2
Also, if you’ve bought the national license, and you’ve pitched up at a lake how do you find out who the land owner is to buy the local permit? I doubt if there are signs at every lake? :nenau Hey ho, guess I’ll find out when I get there. :thumb2

Any hotel or campsite you pass, will probably know the fishing regulations for the region roundabout or just drop into the tourist office or a police station.

Ok, question 2. Fishing.
I know you donÂ’t need a license to fish in the sea but you do for lakes and rivers so 1. where do you get one from? 2. How much are they? 3. How long do they last? 4. Do they cover the whole of Norway or are they regional?
Cheers.

For fishing in anything but the sea, you will at least be requred to have paid the National fee, It's apprx. £25 for 1 year/1 person.
You may pay it here, ( hit the UK flag for English language);
https://fiskeravgift.miljodirektoratet.no/

Additionally, some places also requres you to pay a local fee. If so, there are usually plackards explaining how to pay. Seems like several places now has opened up for paying using the phone. You may probably still get help at near by camping sites/gas stations. However, most of the time you will probably not know in advance where and when you feel like fishing. After deciding to fish on the spot means that searcing for a place to get the licence will be most inconveniant, hence the phone solution. These phone payments will probably cover a short periode (as in 24 - 48Hrs).

Live bait is banned..
Lots of people also focus on avoiding imported diseases. May be a good idea to disinfect your gear in advance, and perhaps getting a new line will be a good idea (and then destroy the line and again disinfect when back home)

Back
Top Bottom