EBike and cycle to work advice

Teamin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The better half and I are looking to semi-retire in a couple of years and the company I work for offers the cycle to work scheme.
In preparation for retirement, I was thinking of getting us a couple of EBikes ( two years to go, so could squeeze in two) .
The wife is five foot and I am 5'9' in old money.
On the 20% tax bracket, so what should I look for?
Any help is appreciated, even the odd banter :beerjug:
PS I am totally new to EBikes.

Can’t recommend a bike but we have had one each on the ‘Green Commute Initiative’ and all went well.

Check the scheme allows bikes >£1000

Depends on what you want to do with them? Commute by only bike? A full size E-bike of the hybrid type would be nice and comfy.

Think about taking it on a train or in a car, then the folding e-bikes are the way to go.

I looked into loads of ebikes last March and I ended up with a Haibike Sduro3 which is great for my commute, but it is a heavy bike to hump up and down steps and through doors. If you go for a Haibike, I think their sizes are out by a half. If you're only just in one size, select the next size down, especially if you can't actually try one in a shop. I was mid range on large, but I've had to drop the seat pretty much all the way down.

Crank drive gives a nicer ride than front or rear wheel motors. Unless you need to lift it, or want to ride it unassisted i.e. faster than 25kph, weight isn’t that important. You really need hydraulic disc brakes, a heavy bike takes a bit of stopping.

Consider hub gears not derailleur- less mess, fixed chain/belt length so no dirty trouser leg.

Many ebikes have walk mode which powers the bike whilst you walk beside it. Useful for stairs etc.

If you go for the Specialized Vado, don’t forget to order pedals (extra on a 3K bike!).

As others have said, sepends on what your current, but perhaps more importantly future use will be when you retire. I bought a "trekking" style of bike (Cannondale tesoro neo) which, with big wheels (29") is supremely comfortable and has the ability to do tracks and bridleways. Have done more miles on this in the last year than both Motorbikes combined! Cheers,:beerjug:John B

If you want to use the bikes for a good days ride out, I would try and get a 500w battery. It does bump up the price but worth it for the extra range.
We bought 2 earlier this year as my other half has a knee problem so was finding it difficult to use her road bike. We regularly do 45-60 mile days out and don’t regret buying the bikes. In fact I’ve done more miles on my ebike than on my 4 motorbikes together.

Back
Top Bottom