NEW NAV NEEDED NAV 6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had my zumo 660 for 11 years now and its never let me down, I now find I can no longer update the maps so looking to replace.
I cant be bothered changing the factory fitted mount on the bike, so a Nav 6 would be the preference.
I believe many issues were resolved early 2021 with a new version, anyone have one of the new versions and can give some feedback please ?
Also I take it the older ones should be avoided ??

Appreciate any advice

My Nav 6 is only a couple of years old, maybe 18 months or so and it has been 100% I have say ... very pleased with it. :)

My Nav 6 is only a couple of years old, maybe 18 months or so and it has been 100% I have say ... very pleased with it. :)

Same story with my Nav6. I also still have a Nav5. The display on the 6 looks nicer, especially on a TFT bike. Not much in it in performance terms though. In fact, I often feel the 6 is slower to recalculate mid-route adjustments.

If I were buying used, I’d be happy with either and certainly wouldn’t reject the Nav5 just because it’s not a Nav6…

Got one of the pre updated Nav 6's in June for a great price from Cotsold Motarrad as they were moving stock for the updated ones
It has proved faultless for a week in Scotland, a trip aound Wales and general day to day stuff
Works fine with Basecamp for loading routes
I like it better than the Nav 5 I had before, although that never let me down either....screen is better
I know people have had issues, but with 2 years warranty I took my chance

I have a V and an ‘original’ VI device.

The ‘original’ VI has been faultless. The advantages of the VI over the V? Not so many really. I could boil them down to:

The VI has a better screen, with the colours being sharper or deeper.

The VI does not require the addition of an SD card in to load the whole of Europe. This advantage is done away with if, as I do, you want to add some specific Open Street Maps, which will need to go onto an SD card. There again, does anyone really need the whole of Europe loaded anyway and not everyone wants to load Open Street Maps.

I’d be perfectly happy using either device, just as I was when I owned the 660, another very good device. Turning to the OP’s 660, do you really need the whole of Europe loaded? As I understand it, the 660 will still load quite large sections of the Garmin Western Europe map set and / or big sections downloaded from Open Street Map. If that’s the case, it might well be worth staying with it for a while longer, perhaps?

I'm still running the 2007 maps that came with my Zumo 550. Gets me from A to B.

tom

I have had my zumo 660 for 11 years now and its never let me down, I now find I can no longer update the maps so looking to replace.
I cant be bothered changing the factory fitted mount on the bike, so a Nav 6 would be the preference.
I believe many issues were resolved early 2021 with a new version, anyone have one of the new versions and can give some feedback please ?
Also I take it the older ones should be avoided ??

Appreciate any advice

I've had three nav VI's where the screen's became unusable and would change at will. Bought two of these refurbished from Garmin - the first they replaced after a year (six moths after the warranty expired), the second also failed after a year and Garmin refused to accept there was an issue. Three exhibiting the same issues...!

Same as here.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-Garmin-problem-specific-to-the-Nav-VI-device

Maybe the very latest ones have cracked the issue, but I'd think very carefully about buying one - not seen the same issues with the Nav 5 reported.

I've had three Nav 6's. All three eventually failed, the dreaded ghosting. I thought it was a great device until I started looking at the Zumo XT. In every way its far superior. And using the Italian mount it utilises the original BMW mount, so it comes on and off with the ignition. This does mean I have the new updated Nav 6 gathering dust. I just hope they have solved the screen issues.

I now have a nav 6 refresh it has the same system but its 3 times faster in every way i also went through 5 old nav 6 with no faith in any of them . I have been using this unit 6 months . And am delighted with it . My advise is if you have a nav6 sell it and buy a refresh model .the old model had a white background the refresh has a black background.when you touch the screen it is instant . It calculates very much faster

The XT looks a better deal, with some decent discounts around, but IIRC you lose the wonder wheel functionality, if that matters.

Sorry should have said I bought the refresh version of Nav 6, on ebay with a discount supplied by a bmw dealer, £465 Im happy with it, thanks for all feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom